Anyone in Army Reserve MSSP program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spidey066

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an OMS-1 student and have been interested for a while in the programs that the army offers medical students. I first applied to Army HPSP program last year but I was too late with my application and my verbal subscore for the MCAT (the old MCAT) was below a 8 so that also hindered me from being accepted. I was recently told by my recruiter about the MDSSP program for the Reserves and I wanted to see if there was anyone here on SDN that has had experience with it and could shed some more light.

I understand that for every year you receive the stipend you have to pay back 2 years in the reserves. After you finish school you can join the STRAP program for residency which pays back $50,000 to your loans for every year you are in the program. However I'm confused on the payback years for this program because I've been reading conflicting reports from people online stating that for STRAP it's two years payback for every year you are in the program and some other people saying that the payback gets reduced to one year of service for every year you are in the program if you are starting it right after MDSSP. I kind of wanted to get the final word on that.

Lastly will residencies accept you for a spot if they know you have to leave for a weekend out of every month to drill? Or will they not care? Thanks for reading this and sorry for it being long lol

Members don't see this ad.

Strap is the same stipend as mdssp.

Hplrp is the tuition reimbursement program.

Some residencies have enthusiastically said they'd proud to have a guard member, I've had a few do a very poor job of hiding that my chances were dead after disclosing military obligations during residency

Mdssp is 2:1 alone, strap is 2:1 alone. If you do both, then one of them becomes a 1:1 (don't remember which)

Strap is the same stipend as mdssp.

Hplrp is the tuition reimbursement program.

Some residencies have enthusiastically said they'd proud to have a guard member, I've had a few do a very poor job of hiding that my chances were dead after disclosing military obligations during residency

Mdssp is 2:1 alone, strap is 2:1 alone. If you do both, then one of them becomes a 1:1 (don't remember which)
ok cool thanks for your reply. Is the HPLRP attached with the STRAP program? Or is it a separate program all together that has its own service payback rules? Also in your experience is the Army flexible with letting you choose which weekend each month that you'll be drilling, or do they assign the weekends to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
ok cool thanks for your reply. Is the HPLRP attached with the STRAP program? Or is it a separate program all together that has its own service payback rules? Also in your experience is the Army flexible with letting you choose which weekend each month that you'll be drilling, or do they assign the weekends to you?
Different programs although they can overlap

Flexibility is 100% dependent on your command climate

Different programs although they can overlap

Flexibility is 100% dependent on your command climate
Okay so its possible then to do the STRAP and HPLRP program at the same time then? If I were to do 3 years of the MDSSP while in medical school and the do 3 years of STRAP with HPLRP in residency how many years would I owe in service? Also is there a minimum number of years you need to do STRAP for?