Anyone ever stay 5+ years at an advertised job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coroner

Peace Sells...but who's buying?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of stigma that many advertised positions are less desirable than unadvertised ones which can be the case at times. But, I'm sure there's some hidden gems out there which happened to be advertised. What makes a "good" job has so many variable factors which people weigh differently.

That being said, I think it's fair to say if a job was considered to be really that good by someone, they wouldn't want to leave. Many people coming straight out of training or people in jobs they don't like eventually leave in a couple of years when they find something better. So using longevity at a place as an indicator of how good a job is, has anyone found such a job thru an advertisement and stayed there 5+ years?

I'll start by saying my first job out of training was advertised. I was there <5 yrs. 2nd job was via word of mouth and still here.

Members don't see this ad.

4 of the last 5 people we hired were hired via advertisement (plus word of mouth) and have been with us 5+ years.

While word of mouth and other such contacts are good ways to find people, advertising can present candidates you never would have heard about or knew were interested (like our last 2 hires).