Anyone available for coaching (will pay) regarding switching residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disimpact22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN residents.

I am currently a PGY 1-->2 at a family medicine program in the Western US. It has not been a good fit from the start (my poor multi-tasking skills, toxic learning culture, multiple issues with housing/floods, dog getting cancer, etc). Unfortunately I have not passed my two pediatric rotations. I am now at risk of possible contract non-renewal if I don't pass my current 2 month remediation. I am seeking to find employment options elsewhere as a backup plan should I not be offered continued employment. I would be happy with another FM residency that is less toxic and/or closer to family (which has become important to me) or a switch to Internal Medicine (which is my favorite and most proficient aspect of my FM training so far).

The basic summary of my status is: "Has made immense progress, is extremely hard working, is loved by patients and staff but there still remain some questions as to his ability to confidently juggle the multi-tasking duties of a 2nd year on large volume, multi service/cross coverage in the hospital".

My ITE scores are the highest in my intern class, and my Step 3 was one of the highest in my class as well. I am smart, extremely hard working and dedicated to becoming a great patient-centered doctor. My weakness is in multi-tasking. I am simply not a natural multi-tasker and my program is very "active", with cross coverage across 3-4 different services being the norm. Also My 3rd and 4th year training was weak and I started behind my intern-classmates.

Can you help? Is anyone willing to assist me one-on one with writing a proper cover letter to prospective residencies? Without sounding too desperate, I am more than willing to pay for assistance.

Thank you. I look forward to hearing back from you soon. Please ask any questions that may help further clarify my situation and/or request.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
pm me... i went through the same problem this year..

You will need your PD to be on board with the transfer, because any residency will require some sort of documentation from your previous program.

Definitely on PD's good side. No animosity just poor multitasking--which I have improved upon greatly this year but am still "getting much better but not there yet." Thank you for the advice. Have searched SDN obsessively for this info and some has been pertinent, while some has not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello SDN residents.

I am currently a PGY 1-->2 at a family medicine program in the Western US. It has not been a good fit from the start (my poor multi-tasking skills, toxic learning culture, multiple issues with housing/floods, dog getting cancer, etc). Unfortunately I have not passed my two pediatric rotations. I am now at risk of possible contract non-renewal if I don't pass my current 2 month remediation. I am seeking to find employment options elsewhere as a backup plan should I not be offered continued employment. I would be happy with another FM residency that is less toxic and/or closer to family (which has become important to me) or a switch to Internal Medicine (which is my favorite and most proficient aspect of my FM training so far).

The basic summary of my status is: "Has made immense progress, is extremely hard working, is loved by patients and staff but there still remain some questions as to his ability to confidently juggle the multi-tasking duties of a 2nd year on large volume, multi service/cross coverage in the hospital".

My ITE scores are the highest in my intern class, and my Step 3 was one of the highest in my class as well. I am smart, extremely hard working and dedicated to becoming a great patient-centered doctor. My weakness is in multi-tasking. I am simply not a natural multi-tasker and my program is very "active", with cross coverage across 3-4 different services being the norm. Also My 3rd and 4th year training was weak and I started behind my intern-classmates.

Can you help? Is anyone willing to assist me one-on one with writing a proper cover letter to prospective residencies? Without sounding too desperate, I am more than willing to pay for assistance.

Thank you. I look forward to hearing back from you soon. Please ask any questions that may help further clarify my situation and/or request.

What makes you think you'll be better at a new program? You'll still need to multitask and it will be in an entirely new environment. That will be harder. As for the step 3 score, that's all nice, but your numerical score just doesn't really matter as long as you pass.

I'd go up to your chief, ask for advise on multi-tasking, see what they do to keep track of things. It sounds to me like u need to really focus on developing a system for yourself. Ask for specific examples of things u could have done better and how the chief would have handled it. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks hello. I have made great progress and continue to work with a counselor on developing a strong system of organization and self checks. I appreciate the post.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As an intern I got feedback from multiple attendings that I had difficulty with multitasking, so I know the struggle

As an intern I got feedback from multiple attendings that I had difficulty with multitasking, so I know the struggle
Well unfortunately (or fortunately) I will likely not be continuing my residency at my current program. It been a poor fit since the beginning and I'm just not right for the type to service we have here. They have not fired me but have said, with love (honestly), that I should strongly consider looking at other options. It is the right move for both parties in my opinion but likely will be a challenging road ahead. Everything happens for a reason, I have to believe that. I welcome any public or private advice, anecdotes, stories or insight. Thank you.

Well unfortunately (or fortunately) I will likely not be continuing my residency at my current program. It been a poor fit since the beginning and I'm just not right for the type to service we have here. They have not fired me but have said, with love (honestly), that I should strongly consider looking at other options. It is the right move for both parties in my opinion but likely will be a challenging road ahead. Everything happens for a reason, I have to believe that. I welcome any public or private advice, anecdotes, stories or insight. Thank you.

You need to have a frank talk with your PD and see what they will support you doing in the future and what kind of letter they will write you.

You need to have a frank talk with your PD and see what they will support you doing in the future and what kind of letter they will write you.

I agree and have had that discussion. They said they will be happy to write supportive letters of rec for me moving forward. I doubt they will lie if asked but I also feel that they will emphasize my strengths and great progress rather than my weaknesses. I will directly ask my PD on Wednesday what kind of letter she will write. If you have any advice as to how to most effectively phrase that question to a PD who has been supportive during this process I'm all ears.

Also, I have a question that has been answered in part on this board many times but not for my exact situation: Applying for a preliminary year in IM--Any merit to that? I know that it would essentially be a year long interview rotation. Its not my first choice but I am building my plan with multiple backups/redundancies. Right now my plan as it stands:
1: Use residencyswap, inforesident and findaresident to find and contact programs with advertised spots in FM or IM PGY1 or PGY2 spots starting this year.
2: Concurrently have set up and am applying to programs via ERAS in IM and FM PGY1 2018 spots (will find some means of employment in the interim).
3: My former med school advisor who is also the asst PD at my med school's FM residency said recently that he would be my "ace in the hole" if it came to it and offered to speak to residencies that he is connected to on my behalf.
4: Keep praying and having faith in myself and the ultimate goodness of the universe:)