Anyone applying AOA haven't gotten any interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PediatricMan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying peds here and I haven't heard anything so I'm getting worried. I still have one LOR that needs to be submitted but already got 2 in. Should I email the programs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I applied last year to psych. Granted I didn't go on any of my aoa interviews but all my invites were end of august and sept for aoa

Reactions: 1 user
The program director for IM at my core site (AOA) said he hasn't even opened ERAS yet. Some AOA programs are offering interviews already but don't freak out too much if you haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many programs, mine included, don't offer multiple interview dates. Thus, it is not unusual for interview offers to start going out mid to late August or early September. We are starting to offer but I have many that we have internally noted as "waitlist". As we start seeing the response rate for our first round of offers, we will start taking people off the waitlist.

I applied last year to psych. Granted I didn't go on any of my aoa interviews but all my invites were end of august and sept for aoa

How many ACGME interviews were you offered before you felt comfortable cancelling the AOA ones? (I'm going to be in a similar position this year.. hopefully!)

Most of my md ones came end of sept at once so by the time I had like 6 I didn't bother with do ones. Also I scheduled my aoa ones super far out so just do that and you're fibe

Most of my md ones came end of sept at once so by the time I had like 6 I didn't bother with do ones. Also I scheduled my aoa ones super far out so just do that and you're fibe

If AOA programs only gave you the option to interview earlier on in the cycle, how did you handle that?

If AOA programs only gave you the option to interview earlier on in the cycle, how did you handle that?
Fortunately none only gave me that option but if that was the case then I would prob have just gone unless I didn't like the place

How were you getting most of your ACGME interviews when ERAS hadn't even sent them your deans letter yet?

How were you getting most of your ACGME interviews when ERAS hadn't even sent them your deans letter yet?
There is a data sheet that shows the percent of interviews offered by speciality for each month which is high yield. Most of the interviews go early. Deans letter probably more important for super competive places. In my experience big three things early on is whether you are not a American md/do/img, board scores, location. And subi too if you did those

I haven't heard back from any AOA programs yet (except my own school). Application is complete with 4 letters of req to each program (This includes department chair of surgery who doesn't know me from Adam). My board schools and GPA are good. I should be hearing from someone. Will post when I get an interview request.

People were getting iis w/in minutes after submitting their applications last year with no MSPE/transcript. But these ii came from the not so competitive specialties.

Last edited:
People were getting iis w/in minutes after submitting their applications last year with no MSPE/transcript. But these ii came from the not so competitive specialties.

This is more true for ACGME. AOA technically accepts applications in July, and while some offer interviews right away, many end up not processing applications until late August or September.