Anybody get into an SMP with a 2.65 bcmp gpa? (Someone give me hope)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jpb5814

Share with me your story. I'm eager to hear everything else (MCAT, Cum. Gpa, Extra Curric., etc) other than you BCMP and which programs ended up granting you a spot in their program?

I know each person is different, but I'm feeling a little low and need some hope that someone with an average of mine (in the BCMP) got in somewhere like BU MAMS or GT SMP or DREXEL IMS or LOYOLA....anywhere?

(Damn being a math major! All those grades in real analysis, logic, differential equations add up!! Ahhhhh!:eek:) Whatever, i love it.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your cumulative GPA? I believe that RFU's minimum for GPA requirement and a few others may provide you with the window you need for entrance.

Cum. GPA from UG was 3.1
Also got my M.S. in Math (I doubt it carries any strength) 30 credits of 4.0

Is there a minimum for U Cinn., Drexel, GTown, yada yada for BCMP? Because I knew they had a minimum cum. of 3.0 but wasn't sure if they had one for BCMP?

I hope not.....

Members don't see this ad :)
To tell you the truth, when applying to SMPs (and I've applied to many), I have not seen a minimum requirement for BCPM's, only cumulative GPAs. Fact being, is that, an official BCMP can only be done by AAMC- and SMP adcoms are probably not going to sit there to calculate and verify all BCMP's of applicants (many of which won't have an official AAMC verified BCMP). Its easier to look at one's Cumulative GPA that your UG will provide. So, on the grounds that cumulative GPA is what schools set forth for minimum GPA, you should be safe for most SMPs- however, that doesn't mean that SMP adcoms wont look at your science grades and get a feel for what type of student you are, with or without a BCMP. Take a look through my official sticky SMP thread at the top of this forum and browse through these forums for other stories.

soooo weird! i'm new to the site and also ~2.6 science + an AMS major. Creepy? I think so. Hahahahaha :D

P.S. Not to mention I was planning to get an M.S. but for Actuarial Science (as a last resort backup). Are you stalking me? Just kidding

braluk, sent you a private message, hope you can reply. Thanks.

Georgetown SMP has a 3.0 minimum GPA cutoff. I heard Drexel, Boston and EVMS's programs have taken people with GPA in the upper 2.xx.

I did an Act. Sci option as well - great minds think alike. :)

Georgetown usually asks for a science GPA (and cum) above 3.0.

So pretty much for a gpa below 3.0 it seems like SMP is out

So what do you guys recommend - up the GPA to at least a 3.0 in Science using undergrad classes?

Edit: Also would MCAT take a backseat if the GPA was below 3.0 - meaning even if you did well, they want to see the GPA higher?

So what do you guys recommend - up the GPA to at least a 3.0 in Science using undergrad classes?

Edit: Also would MCAT take a backseat if the GPA was below 3.0 - meaning even if you did well, they want to see the GPA higher?

Gotcha, SMP is not out for a GPA below 3.0, necessarily. There are some SMP's that have a GPA cutoff below 3.0 (Braluk mentioned one already, I believe) and even those that do have a cutoff will consider someone below a 3.0 if they are close and have a good MCAT.

It really is a case-by-case basis. Without knowing your GPA and your MCAT, it is hard to give any meaningful advice on what you should do.

Ah - I have no MCAT yet so I guess half of the stats are in the air, and my Gpa revolves around the OP's.

I'm looking at some of the known SMPS like GTown so I have more of a chance of getting in afterward - but they seem so competitive in itself.

I'm thinking of just trying to take as many Ugrad classes I can before I apply to any SMP to maximize my chances of firstly getting in an SMP and secondly and most importantly med school...

but considering the MCAT expires in 3 years and I want to accomplish all this...I'm thinking of waiting till an open period to take it - does all this make sense?

(Damn being a math major! All those grades in real analysis, logic, differential equations add up!! Ahhhhh!:eek:) Whatever, i love it.

i'm feeling ya....i was a chem and anthropology major and even though my chem gpa was dismal (sp?) i couldn't give it up...i liked the subject too much lol!

i did take a few classes over again before applying to post-bacc, esp. one chem and a physics, but my science gpa was a under 3.0 when i applied to post-bacc. I only applied to one program, U. Cincinnati's physiology smp and was accepted.

hmmm other stuff u asked about, my mcat was a 32S, and overall gpa was a 3.1. i did have a master's in international studies, which was a 3.8, but was all my classes in that program were either social science or public health.

good luck! u can do it! we sound very similar lol :luck:

I can't speak for all SMP programs, but there are some I know of that have applications for students who would like to attend as a "non-matriculating" student. Meaning, you can take the classes and earn credit, but you are not officially a graduate student in their program. If you have a below 3.0 gpa and want to get into an smp, perhaps you should try applying as a non-matric or speaking with the Dean of admission for the SMP, since the requirements for non-matric status, from what it seems, is not as competetive. If you manage to get in that way, you can prove to the smp admissions that you can succeed in their program by doing well in some of their courses before they officially allow you into their program.

Ya to answer the original question of this post. Ya it can be done. I worked, partied, did anything sounding fun and studied just enough to get a degree. My GPA was pretty far below a 3.0. Once i decided I wanted to go to med school, I began taking classes through an open univeristy option at the same UC where I did my undergrad. In doing this I traded a decent full time job for delivering pizzas at night. In all upper division science couses I maintained a 3.9. I applied to BU MAMS and got in. Now I'm there and love it.

One thing i would suggest you do on your application is own your actions. Don't blame your major or any other personal issues for your low GPA. Blame yourself. Good luck in applying and don't let others influence your decisions, just work your hardest and go for it. If you have any questions about the program I'm happy to answer them.

I'm assuming that you have all of your pre-reqs done from undergrad? If not, you'll need to do those in a post-bacc before you can even apply to an SMP. Along the way, that should bump up your GPA & show your worth.

As for the sub-3.0 GPA & SMP's - the best advice I can give you is to take some courses to prove you're a straight A student now and get a standardized test score in the books that shows you can hold your own.

A more global problem is this - what do you do when you get done w/ your SMP? If you don't get into their med school, you're trying to sell yourself to other med schools w/ a sub-3.0 GPA - a pretty tough sell. I think most would agree that you need to improve your undergrad GPA first (we're in the same boat on this one).

so lets assume we get above the magic 3.0 mark

I've got a few D's in my closet (General Chemistry, twice over, and same with math)..

And lets say by the time I apply i've taken these classes 6 years ago (apply to the SMP that is)

You think with a solid Mcat they'll overlook this?

Whats the gurantee that I'll even get in anywhere at this rate - its already going to be a feat to get above the 3.0 - and on top of it, i'll have taken some random science classes cause I feel like ive exhausted a lot of the 'easier' ones..

This is so ****ing frustrating.

Lastly - how likely is the SMP themselves to take you?
I read 85% for georgetown..
Whats it like for RFU or some of the others?

Also some of you on the forum - did you guys end up getting into a school? MD or DO? or what?

I think if the D's are in required science prerequisties for med schools(g-chem,bio, o-chem, phys, just the basic ones) then you should try to make them up. Some med schools only count the classes if the student recieved a C or above. A postbac wants to send it's students to med school so they might be less inclined to admit students lacking the prereqs. Good luck.