Anybody ever prescribe Stadol?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever prescribed it. Anybody use it?

Members don't see this ad.

Intranasal stadol for RFA patient who had been detoxed from opioids. Works fine, high incidence of nightmares and some get headaches. IV stadol is excellent due to sedation and analgesia w/ minimal respiratory depression.

Stadol is useful as a reversal agent when using large doses of opioids. It used to be marginally useful as a narcotic in a patient who has trouble swallowing pills, but was supplanted by opioid patches.

Members don't see this ad :)
unlike the other partial agonist-antagonist buprenorphine, still carries risk of abuse, dependency. a lot more psychological concerns because of k-opioid receptor activity.

only really good use is probably IV, in the OB suite...

I had to call the police once on a patient hooked on intranasal stadol for headache ( prescribed elsewhere). She sent her husband to wait for me in the parking lot to try to convince me to renew it for her. Not the first HA patient I met who was hooked on Stadol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've only seen it used by older docs treating headaches with opioids and in L&D. No real role for it IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user