Any Tips for an Intern doing Palliative as their 1st rotation???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitlnoize

Rock God
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting palliative care for my first month of psychiatry internship. I don't have much experience in this area. Anyone have any good tips for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably the best, on-the-spot resource is the EPERC Fast Facts from the MCW. To date there are 254 entries. They're well-organized, concise and I think they're very helpful especially in a pinch. They're searchable, which is very helpful in a pinch, too. You can read these in about 5 minutes in preparation for making a consult or following up.

Also, there's
UPMC Palliative Care Symptoms Guide, 25 pages of high-yield symptom management tools.

EndLink, Resource for End of Life Care Education modules on multiple biopsychosocial EOL issues.

Oncotalk, Improving oncologists’ communication skills. Modules & video demos on delivering bad news, goals of care, transitioning care, ACP/DNR, futile care, family meetings.

Under iTunes U there's the Managing Difficult Conversations series, either in audio or video formats.

From AAHPM there's the Primer of Palliative Care, 5th Edition. Very good, well-organized, pretty comprehensive, and fits into a white-coat pocket. $30 for non-members, $20 for members.

Enjoy!

Probably the best, on-the-spot resource is the EPERC Fast Facts from the MCW. To date there are 254 entries. They're well-organized, concise and I think they're very helpful especially in a pinch. They're searchable, which is very helpful in a pinch, too. You can read these in about 5 minutes in preparation for making a consult or following up.

Also, there's
UPMC Palliative Care Symptoms Guide, 25 pages of high-yield symptom management tools.

EndLink, Resource for End of Life Care Education modules on multiple biopsychosocial EOL issues.

Oncotalk, Improving oncologists’ communication skills. Modules & video demos on delivering bad news, goals of care, transitioning care, ACP/DNR, futile care, family meetings.

Under iTunes U there's the Managing Difficult Conversations series, either in audio or video formats.

From AAHPM there's the Primer of Palliative Care, 5th Edition. Very good, well-organized, pretty comprehensive, and fits into a white-coat pocket. $30 for non-members, $20 for members.

Enjoy!

Be careful what you ask for huh? :laugh: This is really great. Thanks!