Any Students Who Failed Out Of Medical School and Got Back In ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDarkKnight898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering whats your story how did you get back into school..., stats and where you ended up going after, and how long it took to get back on track.?

I was attending DO school last year and failed 2 classes by 1 point. Was given an option to remediate and due to a family emergency messed up one of the remediations. Dean offered me an option to withdraw or get dismissed. Obviously took the withdraw, was wondering what should be the next step now. Took the old MCAT which has most likely expired.

Originally I had got into multiple med school schools but was out of school for a while so had a some what of a rough year transitioning in, but now my mind is set. I have grown from this experience and really learned how to study and be successful in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it's not looking good for you. I've never heard of anyone who failed and was accepted thereafter. Maybe try Caribbean? But honestly I hate when people give this option because I don't think it's worth the risk given the high attrition rate (and since you've already failed out you're at higher risk). If I were you I would start looking into alternative careers (PA, NP, Pharmacy, business, etc)... Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's been done. But its super hard I'm sure and it's a high stakes game if you're taking out loans for med school

Reactions: 1 user
Having the withdraw is better than the dismissal. I would put some space between you and the previous time in med school, like maybe at least a year. Maybe take advanced science classes or a post-bac/SMP to demonstrate that you can do well. You'll have to reapply after retaking the MCAT though.

Alternatively if you took the MCAT in 2014, it might still be acceptable to some schools right now. You could try applying now to all schools willing to consider your MCAT (look it up, sometimes this info is on their websites, the CIB book, or you may just have to contact them). Worst case scenario you don't get in, then you just reapply after doing what I suggest above.

You'll have to explain why you failed, and you could probably argue the personal/family stuff did it, but that stuff doesn't ever stop, so you'll have to make it clear that it won't stop you in the future (and obviously what has changed).

Reactions: 1 users
Having the withdraw is better than the dismissal. I would put some space between you and the previous time in med school, like maybe at least a year. Maybe take advanced science classes or a post-bac/SMP to demonstrate that you can do well. You'll have to reapply after retaking the MCAT though.

Alternatively if you took the MCAT in 2014, it might still be acceptable to some schools right now. You could try applying now to all schools willing to consider your MCAT (look it up, sometimes this info is on their websites, the CIB book, or you may just have to contact them). Worst case scenario you don't get in, then you just reapply after doing what I suggest above.

You'll have to explain why you failed, and you could probably argue the personal/family stuff did it, but that stuff doesn't ever stop, so you'll have to make it clear that it won't stop you in the future (and obviously what has changed).

No school AFAIK will accept the old MCAT.

Wondering whats your story how did you get back into school..., stats and where you ended up going after, and how long it took to get back on track.?

I was attending DO school last year and failed 2 classes by 1 point. Was given an option to remediate and due to a family emergency messed up one of the remediations. Dean offered me an option to withdraw or get dismissed. Obviously took the withdraw, was wondering what should be the next step now. Took the old MCAT which has most likely expired.

Originally I had got into multiple med school schools but was out of school for a while so had a some what of a rough year transitioning in, but now my mind is set. I have grown from this experience and really learned how to study and be successful in medical school.
You'd be DOA at my school. Your chances are best at your old school. But frankly, you had your chance, and now it's time to move on.

No school AFAIK will accept the old MCAT.

Are you sure?

Looking at the CIB for 2018, it looks like ACOM, KCOM, LECOM, LUCOM, MSU-COM, NYCOM, PNWU, Rowan, TCOM, COMP, VCOM, and TUCOM and maybe more accept the old MCAT. I'm seeing anything from Jan 2014 to Aug 2014 to 3 yrs prior to AACOMAS submission date as the oldest MCAT that can be used for some schools according to the CIB.

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/aacom-cib-2018-front-schools.pdf?sfvrsn=0

To be clear, I'm not saying this is the best way to go, just that it may be one thing they could try. Personally, I still think the best thing to do is to put some time between the withdrawal and the reapplication, with good performance in the meantime. Either that or career change. Both are perfectly fine options.

Last edited: