Any RMSTP participants- past/current/future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cameroncarter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS4 applying for PM&R this season and am highly interested in pursuing an academic/research career. Can anyone offer any advice for choosing programs based on these interests?

For those who don't know, the pre-application phase starts in PGY2/3.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the biggest keys are having a broad base of experience during residency and a program which has potential research mentors. Some programs have stronger histories and more familiarity with getting pre-applicants selected and successfully attaining RMSTP funding (which has recently become significantly more difficult). However, I don't think coming from a program without as much RMSTP history is necessarily a disadvantage, so long as you have adequate support to pursue your academic interests during residency.

Hello. I am also planning to pursue the RMSTP. I have matched into a PM&R residency program that has not yet had any graduates enter the RMSTP, but I am a non-traditional applicant with 5 years of postgraduate research training and an extensive list of peer-reviewed publications. Moreover I have research mentors at the same institution of my residency who are from a different department. Some may say that I already have enough research training and may not need the RMSTP, but I think there are several ways the program would be important for my career, including the support for a masters degree in some advanced epidimiological and statistical methods that I dont' have as much experience in. If it's ok with the OP, I think this would be a great thread for residents who are interested in the program and junior faculty who are in the program to share insights on the process and its utility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I am also planning to pursue the RMSTP. I have matched into a PM&R residency program that has not yet had any graduates enter the RMSTP, but I am a non-traditional applicant with 5 years of postgraduate research training and an extensive list of peer-reviewed publications. Moreover I have research mentors at the same institution of my residency who are from a different department. Some may say that I already have enough research training and may not need the RMSTP, but I think there are several ways the program would be important for my career, including the support for a masters degree in some advanced epidimiological and statistical methods that I dont' have as much experience in. If it's ok with the OP, I think this would be a great thread for residents who are interested in the program and junior faculty who are in the program to share insights on the process and its utility.
Sounds good!

I'm interested in the program, although I've heard whispers of it disappearing due to lack of funding.

Funding is gone, is my understanding. The program still exists in the sense of mentorship and workshops at AAP, but that starter grant is no longer a thing.