Any other Natives around here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RTchill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I rarely see Native American applicants on here, looking for some solidarity.

And also, a question: I'd really like to apply to both Oklahoma and New Mexico, but I know they have a pretty extreme in-state bias. I am a TX resident, do you think there would be some leniency there since I am from a neighboring state and Native? I'm hoping to work with IHS down the road, which could very possibly land me in OK or NM in the future. Thoughts?

Good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not native but I'm a supporter. You are fortunate to be from texas but you should get love from all but the most "in state" preference schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not Native but buy the MSAR to give you a perspective. Honestly, both places are In-state strong so it's not worth your time. Honestly, only apply if you are eager to go there. I would say NM might give some preference because NM has a sizable Native population. Note also that NM's med will require that you have all prerequisites finished before applying, except B-Chem and O-Chem; a 400/4000 level Biochemistry, and as an OOS apply early decision. Moreover, if your parents have degrees from any UT schools, then you qualify for U Tennessee at Nashville's Med school (I suggest apply for it only because they don't have a secondary essay).As @sb247 has previously mentioned, focus on the Texan state schools and private schools. You're so lucky to be a Tejano... so much better than being a New Yorker :unsure:

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Native and a med student.

If you ever have questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

I hate to hijack this post quickly... but if you may respond, @BamaNicole, to this inquiry it would mean a lot. Are you a med student in Arizona? If so I was wondering in your opinion if it's worth it, as a New Yorker, to apply to U Arizona at Phoenix? MCAT is a 30 (10/10/10) and gpa is 3.79. I'm contemplating but am not sure if I'm competitive as an OOS.

And also, what character is your avatar? She looks astonishingly familiar....

TYVM

I hate to hijack this post quickly... but if you may respond, @BamaNicole, to this inquiry it would mean a lot. Are you a med student in Arizona? If so I was wondering in your opinion if it's worth it, as a New Yorker, to apply to U Arizona at Phoenix? MCAT is a 30 (10/10/10) and gpa is 3.79. I'm contemplating but am not sure if I'm competitive as an OOS.

And also, what character is your avatar? She looks astonishingly familiar....

TYVM

I sent you a PM and I can link you to some stats from the UA Phoenix website that would help you in your decision.

http://phoenixmed.arizona.edu/education/degree-programs/md-program/md-program-class-profiles

These are the class profiles where you can see the median GPA/MCAT as well as the ranges of each class accepted.

And my avatar is Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Brothers :)

OP:

Get into the best school you can afford and then revisit the issue of OK and NM for residency, you will do great.

Not a medical student, but I'm an Alaska Native physician.

Call the schools up. Ask to speak to the dean of diversity or whatever the equivalent is at your preferred school. I'd focus on getting the best education you can right now. Apply to the top schools if you're competitive. If you want a lot of other Natives in your class think about the Minnesota schools and North Dakota as well as UNM and Oklahoma. If you're set on seeing Native patients you can set up away rotations through IHS or ANMC or you can search out urban native health centers wherever you go.

Most of the great schools have pretty good undergrad native programs. I went to WashU and they had one Native per year in med school. We all got along great and could hang with the 30 or so undergrads who got together regularly if we wanted. I'm sure it would have been easier at other schools with bigger class sizes.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I rarely see Native American applicants on here, looking for some solidarity.

And also, a question: I'd really like to apply to both Oklahoma and New Mexico, but I know they have a pretty extreme in-state bias. I am a TX resident, do you think there would be some leniency there since I am from a neighboring state and Native? I'm hoping to work with IHS down the road, which could very possibly land me in OK or NM in the future. Thoughts?

Good luck everybody!
I'm half Native American, half Spanish but in my post-bacc program now, plan on applying for the 2016-2017 year! Good luck to all of you :)

Alaskan Native here, applying soon! I see so few Natives on SDN, it's really nice to find this thread.

That is all. :)

Cali Native here, finishing my post bac and applying this cycle!

Feel free to message me (anyone) if you want to talk about this cycle or have any questions.