Any legal or ethical pitfalls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to leave my outpatient practice. There are two patients that I have cared for that are undergoing cancer treatment. With the adversities that I have seen them fight through, I have grown a huge deal of respect and admiration for them.

I would like to keep in touch with them after I leave my practice, not in the capacity of a physician, but more as a friend and for emotional support

Is it wrong if I was to do this? Has anyone ever done this and regretted it or ran into unfavorable situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I am getting ready to leave my outpatient practice. There are two patients that I have cared for that are undergoing cancer treatment. With the adversities that I have seen them fight through, I have grown a huge deal of respect and admiration for them.

I would like to keep in touch with them after I leave my practice, not in the capacity of a physician, but more as a friend and for emotional support

Is it wrong if I was to do this? Has anyone ever done this and regretted it or ran into unfavorable situation.

There shouldn't be any legal repercussion. I would send a letter to the patients politely saying that you will no longer be able to be their physician but you would like to keep in touch socially. Ask explicitly if that is ok and request a written response by email so you can document.

Large dogs

Np unless embattled departure

Otherwise I'd just call them in a few weeks and say hi.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile