Any input regarding step 3 experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc0610

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone is busy working on their application at this point of time. If anyone could just shed some light about ccs.

1) I was wondering if you did miss some of the labs that needed to be ordered how bad can that be?
2) Is there any case that isn't scored in ccs section?
3) if you nearly killed one pt can you fail?
4) how many cases can you screw up and still pass (I understand that no one knows how this works, but if anyone has personal experiences)

Any input would be appreciated

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
also, the case ended in like 4 mins and the 2 min screen popped up, there were sooo mnay casese where I had nothing to write there, is that normal?

1) Depends on what labs you missed. If it was important to the case and led to the wrong treatments it might have deducted points off your case but there's no way to tell without giving more specifics.
2) I don't know.
3) I killed a patient and still ended up doing really well on CCS.
4) I felt like I didn't do well on three cases (and like I said I definitely killed a patient in one case) and still did well on CCS.

It is normal for the cases to end early. You definitely should've been putting in orders at the 2 minute screen though (usual counsel patient on smoking, alcohol, medication side effects, safe sex, etc...). Those are easy points and a lot of people forget to order them.

1) Depends on what labs you missed. If it was important to the case and led to the wrong treatments it might have deducted points off your case but there's no way to tell without giving more specifics.
2) I don't know.
3) I killed a patient and still ended up doing really well on CCS.
4) I felt like I didn't do well on three cases (and like I said I definitely killed a patient in one case) and still did well on CCS.

It is normal for the cases to end early. You definitely should've been putting in orders at the 2 minute screen though (usual counsel patient on smoking, alcohol, medication side effects, safe sex, etc...). Those are easy points and a lot of people forget to order them.

Hey,

Thanks for replying, you said you didnt do well on 3 cases, but for the rest of them, did you feel confident like you haven't missed anything? Also, people were getting multiple problems in one case, I don't seem to have to gotten that, or is it something i have overlooked? If you had multiple propblems and you fialed to address it, would your cases still end or would you it still keep going on?

Again, thank you for taking the time out to respons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt confident on the other cases and the majority of them ended early (5-6 minutes for a 20 min case). I don't know about the multiple problems though I can't remember. I thought the majority were very straightforward.

How did you feel your CCS cases went?

I felt confident on the other cases and the majority of them ended early (5-6 minutes for a 20 min case). I don't know about the multiple problems though I can't remember. I thought the majority were very straightforward.

How did you feel your CCS cases went?

6 cases i feel confident about, like I probably did all that there was needed to be done.
1 cases i forgot to rule out some imp diff, just fot the basic test, treated the pt and the case ended
1 case i probably did something that wasn't required, but then figured out what they had and treated it and then case ended
2 case i forgot to put the pt npo for surgery
1 cases I forgot to do Hba1c and it was imp cause it was
2 cases were horrible, I knew what the pt had in one, put the orders in, and the pt seemed to get worse and the other case, I had cliked on the skin exam, but it didn't show up and then I kept ordering things, went back and checked, the skin was not checked, got the result and treated the pt.

Also, I don't remember about changing the location right now, I remember them for a few patients, like the surgery ones, don't remember for the rest. Was feeling ok after the test, but feel horrible as each day passes by and i remember my mistakes :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I felt the same way. Thought I failed the exam (day 2 MCQ was brutal for me. I guessed on so many questions). Ended up doing fine. It's hard not to torment yourself after the exam remembering all the things you did wrong but try your best to get through these upcoming weeks and keep yourself busy.

I felt the same way. Thought I failed the exam (day 2 MCQ was brutal for me. I guessed on so many questions). Ended up doing fine. It's hard not to torment yourself after the exam remembering all the things you did wrong but try your best to get through these upcoming weeks and keep yourself busy.

Day one was the weird one for me. Trying to keep myself occupied, but every Wednesday it gets closer and closer. Hoping for the best!

Thank you for all the support, I got my result today and I passed this exam :)

Reactions: 1 users
Good job 610. Could you help describe your CCS experience in a little more depth now? Because in the posts it seems you feel just okay but it likely turned out well, no....? In contrast some examinees some seem to think almost all cases the patient improves, but CCS results are borderline, and overall is barely pass/fail exaam...again if you could just elaborate a little further now similar to how Tapepsi did, now that you have your actual CCS marks..

Good job 610. Could you help describe your CCS experience in a little more depth now? Because in the posts it seems you feel just okay but it likely turned out well, no....? In contrast some examinees some seem to think almost all cases the patient improves, but CCS results are borderline, and overall is barely pass/fail exaam...again if you could just elaborate a little further now similar to how Tapepsi did, now that you have your actual CCS marks..

Hey,

So, I used uworldccs, archer ( the introduction) and crush. Now, as far as how I felt, well, like I mentioned earlier, there were around 6 cases, where I felt confident. The strategy that I followed was first when they present you with the HPI, you should come up with diff for that, write it down on the sheet they give you and think of all the test you would order. If the pt came to the clinic or ER, I would always order, CBC, BMP, LFT, UA just for the safe side. Obviously if it's an emergency case, you first do the life saving steps and then do the basic labs. But, always write down what you want to order on the sheet. This way you don't forget what you have to order and its organized. Don't worry, it's a 20 min case so you have enough time to write and type. The 10 min cases are faster and they need you to be quick. I don't know if I got the improvement update from the patient in all of my cases. I do remember in 6 of them, the patient did say something positive.

AS far as how it is graded, no one knows or I don't know. I also think reading and studying for step3 in general also helps with ccs. As you read mtb3 it guides you for ccs. The other thing I followed was system wise complaints and the test I ordered pertinent to the complaints.

I think the key here is to follow a protocol that you seem comfrotable with and just practise. You don't want to be lost on the day of the test.

That is honestly, all that I did do. Could ccs have been better for me? Sure! I had 2 stars touch boderline. Als, I never know how to understand the score report. They make no sense to me. I did end up with a 210, and I am very ok with that. A pass is a pass.

All the best, let me know if you have any more questions.

Hey,

So, I used uworldccs, archer ( the introduction) and crush. Now, as far as how I felt, well, like I mentioned earlier, there were around 6 cases, where I felt confident. The strategy that I followed was first when they present you with the HPI, you should come up with diff for that, write it down on the sheet they give you and think of all the test you would order. If the pt came to the clinic or ER, I would always order, CBC, BMP, LFT, UA just for the safe side. Obviously if it's an emergency case, you first do the life saving steps and then do the basic labs. But, always write down what you want to order on the sheet. This way you don't forget what you have to order and its organized. Don't worry, it's a 20 min case so you have enough time to write and type. The 10 min cases are faster and they need you to be quick. I don't know if I got the improvement update from the patient in all of my cases. I do remember in 6 of them, the patient did say something positive.

AS far as how it is graded, no one knows or I don't know. I also think reading and studying for step3 in general also helps with ccs. As you read mtb3 it guides you for ccs. The other thing I followed was system wise complaints and the test I ordered pertinent to the complaints.

I think the key here is to follow a protocol that you seem comfrotable with and just practise. You don't want to be lost on the day of the test.

That is honestly, all that I did do. Could ccs have been better for me? Sure! I had 2 stars touch boderline. Als, I never know how to understand the score report. They make no sense to me. I did end up with a 210, and I am very ok with that. A pass is a pass.

All the best, let me know if you have any more questions.

Do we get grads poorly for doing shotgun test approach?

Do we get grads poorly for doing shotgun test approach?
Shotgun approach doesn’t hurt most of the time I think. Probably comes off as neither helpful nor detrimental most of the times. If it is a silly outpatient disease I think it may hurt.

Just finished my exam and feel awful about some of the cases. All my cases ended early, most of my patients improved (or cases ended as they were about to undergo surgery). 1 of them was a zebra, patient had tons of findings and symptoms and the more I worked him up the more weird it got. It was a 8 mins case too, so I was rushing to finish it and it got super messy. I hope that one is not scored, waaaay more complex than the others.

I know I messed up another case cause I forgot to order some of the periodic exams. Oh well. Another one I treated outpatient, should probably have been inpatient, but my decision wasn’t absolutely crazy.

What pissed me off though was how dumb that software was at times. “Patient brought by family” - ok, counsel patient\family => patient can’t understand counseling. Wtf, obviously I wanted to counsel family.

Anyways, just wanted to pass, so whatever.