Any IMGs with US licensing obstacles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddog1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PM me if you are an IMG who has wanted to apply to a state (especially Arizona) that has a more stringent requirement for IMG licensing compared to US grad licensing. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

PM me if you are an IMG who has wanted to apply to a state (especially Arizona) that has a more stringent requirement for IMG licensing compared to US grad licensing. :thumbup:

As an IMG licensed in 3 states, including Arizona, I'm curious as to what "more stringent" requirements you are speaking of. Arizona was, by far, the easiest state to get a license in for me.

If you are talking about needing more years of GME before getting an unrestricted license, almost EVERY state in the US requires that for IMGs/FMGs.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

hi
i am an IMG graduate ( medical school outside of north america), US citizen and now on my final year in general surgery residency program in CANADA. so i am going to be a board certified FRCSC and board eligiable for FACS.
my question is, i would like to do a fellowship in the states, does all fellowship programs and states requires me to have USMLE ( i dont have them) to get a limited/temprory/ trainee license??

thanks for your help!!