Any Ghanaian, Nigerian or West African Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You mean Nigeriansavior was extremely naive about what he said?. Nigeriansavior's opinion does not represent the opinion of all Nigerians.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone appling this cycle?

i was born and bred here in the states but i went to africa for high school...so big ups to all the africans in general...you guys rock!...:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

my name is Mike from Senegal. I live in NYC. I am in the system trying to prepare usmle step1. if you can be of any help I will appreciate it

thank you

hi am from cameroon born n bred there.physician n came to US two months ago.just joined the forum today.am in Nevada n preparing for board step 1 precisely to get into residency.

also prep for step 1.what do u need exactly to prepare?i will write in oct but already studying.check www.usmleforum.com u will get alot from there.so precise what u need n i will give u a hand

ndi banyi,

representing umuahia, abia state....class of 2011...have a plethora of resources with respect to essays, secondaries, interviewing etc...feel free to use me as a resource...

Very, very much Ghanaian. Had all my schooling in Ghana. Went to Presec-Legon for SSS and i'm currently in the University of Ghana Medical School.

Very, very much Ghanaian. Had all my schooling in Ghana. Went to Presec-Legon for SSS and i'm currently in the University of Ghana Medical School.

Congrats Bennybrak!!!. So how is life at UGMS?

You know the system in Ghana, man. It's not easy. We're keeping things under control. The country is still cool and sweet.

You know the system in Ghana, man. It's not easy. We're keeping things under control. The country is still cool and sweet.

Bennybrak, which year did you graduate from presec? I went to presec too. I just completed undergrad and will be starting med school in a few weeks

Love your picture...reminds of life in Ghana. Can't wait to go back. anyway, I'm applying to med sch this year and currently a postbac at the NIH, MD.

Love your picture...reminds of life in Ghana. Can't wait to go back. anyway, I'm applying to med sch this year and currently a postbac at the NIH, MD.

EkLilian ..haha no kidding. Anyways good luck with your application process. What schools are you applying to, and how far are you in the app. process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoo, So many Ghanaians here! I completed presec in 2005, fellow odadee. It's great to know Ghanaians in the same field. After all the studying has been done and we're quite financially secure, let's do our best to help the local folks here, they really need us.

Kiddie.:)I completed in 03 so u must have been in sss1 when I was in sss3. which house?

Whoo, So many Ghanaians here! I completed presec in 2005, fellow odadee. It's great to know Ghanaians in the same field. After all the studying has been done and we're quite financially secure, let's do our best to help the local folks here, they really need us.

I was in house 3. I know most of ur mates so u can PM me then we'll do more chatting. I'll like to do neurosurgery after the medicine here. Can anyone give me more info about how i can shoot for it after i've finished my two years housemanship here, after med school? Heard i need to write USMLE. What will be my chances as an intl student. Will it still be rigorous for me? Anything about the fees and aid? Any info is welcome.

wow the world is a small place. I was also at Presec-legon...graduating class 2001....wow looks far away hahaha.
Rounding up 4th year of a 6 year medical schoolin Sao Paulo(heheheh don't ask me how the hell I ended up in SOuth America).
I will be writing Step 1 this year ending and Step 2 next year. Still undecided. However I am eyeing a Neurosurgery residency or Orthopaedic(just becos I love sports waa) but I hear they are ultracompetitive. So I just want to write my Step 1 and take things from that point hehhe
I was also in ENGMANN HOUSE at Presec

Wow, wow, i'm feeling this Robinho, Odadee forever!! We gotta take our places man. It's just too much, for the past years we've been consistently recording the highest number to med school and law school here and the distinctions are always from us. Good luck bro, I'm also interested in neurosurgery. I'll need a lot of coaching from you guys when the time comes for ma USMLE. In Lumine tuo...

wow the world is a small place. I was also at Presec-legon...graduating class 2001....wow looks far away hahaha.
Rounding up 4th year of a 6 year medical schoolin Sao Paulo(heheheh don't ask me how the hell I ended up in SOuth America).
I will be writing Step 1 this year ending and Step 2 next year. Still undecided. However I am eyeing a Neurosurgery residency or Orthopaedic(just becos I love sports waa) but I hear they are ultracompetitive. So I just want to write my Step 1 and take things from that point hehhe
I was also in ENGMANN HOUSE at Presec

Hi Robinho.. yea ortho is ultra competitive but it can be done. Good luck.

hi am ghanaian and studyin in china any one familiar wif dat?

hi am ghanaian am in med school ba not in the US. do u hv any idea if n how i can do my internship in the US?

its not too bad i guess. its jus dat learnin d language is compulsory ba d programme is for 5 yrs

u in med school in ghana ryt? i wan to do my internship in ghana hopefully is it possible n how can i go about dat. am an akora

Hey Nana Amma, cool to know u'll lyk to have ur residency here. Got a lot of Akora guys in UGMS as well. All da best.

@Nana Amma
How is the medical system in China???
Why would you want to do an internship in Ghana??? Is it a requirement to do internship outside China and what is the relevance. Cos for example if in case u want to do your residency in USA in the future...the internship in Ghana will be irrelevant to your application so why don't u just concentrate on getting an away rotation in USA.
What academic year are u in and in what do u intend to specialize???

another ghanaian. how is housemanship in ghana like

i wish i cn do it in the US ba am jus lookin at how hard it might b. n i dun wan to do it in china cos i hv to b very fluent in the language. d course is taught in english ba in the hospitals chinese language becomes necessary as lots of pple dun speak much of english. how cn i do it in US

cld u pls give me guidlines as to how to apply n all the other stuff

Ok I now understand what u want to do.

USA...very difficult. There are short electives available for International Medical Students. They are difficult to get into but I guess that in your case you will need not less than 1 year and I think it is impossible.

The problem is that every xtry has it's internship system and I don't know if u can get something that is in synchrony with the Chinese system.
Let me give u an example. It will be more practical and realistic to try the UGMS but note Housemanship is for graduates not Medical Schools. The last 3 years be4 graduating are the clinical years when they do a lot of ward rounds but thee thing is that they still have some classes(theory) and may be subjects that u have already seen by the time you probably get to your internship.

Your biggest problem is to get a Med School or Hospital which is line with what u have already done. Apart from that most xtries won't accept you for a 1 year internship considering that u did all your theory outside that xtry.

personal advice. U are going to live in China for 5 years...make an effort to learn the language. I know how it is difficult to study a foreign language becos my medical school is in Portuguese and I communicate with patients in Portuguese overhere in Brazil where I attend Medical School. So try and make the effort and just stimulate u let me remind that a lot of Ghanaians leave for Russia,Eastern Europe etc to study Medicine. So try and do graduate fully from Brazil then after that u can do your residency/specialization in the USA or Europe.

nevertheless I will be praying for u so that u get the option u want----internship outside China.
Cheers

Good advice there Robinho. I'm also thinking of specializing in the US. How do i go about things after i have done my housemanship here? What about working for some time lyk one to two years, any advantages? I once heard someone talking about applying as an fp or for an fp since he has been a gp for sometime.i don't even know what fp is. Will i pay any fees if i want to specialize, and lastly what will it take to get in as a non-US citizen; any external exams? Thanks

@benny
the American System is different from the Ghanaian system when it comes to specializing.

To specialize in the USA(RESIDENCY) u need to pass USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 2CK and USMLE Step 2Cs. More info here www.ecfmf.org
ECFMG got to certify you for you to do resideny in USA. After writing these exams one of the prerequisites is to validate your Medical School diploma. If u are able to validate it be4 your housemanship then u won't need to do your housemanship be4 starting residency in USA(contrary to Ghana or the UK).

The only fees u will pay are the fees to write those exams and applying to programs but as soon as you are accepted....they pay you and you learn.
FP is family Practice. note getting into an American Residency is quite difficult so most foreigners go in for easier programs ex Family medicine.
U don't have to go into that if that aint what u want. I personally believe that one shd do what gives you satisfaction. If it doesn't make any difference but just that u want to do family medicine, then it is a good option becos it is relatively easy to enter.

I heard the Med School is no more 7 years.
what changed???
How many years for housemanship?
how much is a jnr Dr earning in Ghana???

Cheers

Thanks Robinho, i'll take the tests after school. Yeah, med school is no longer 7 years, it's now 6 yrs. They started last year and the housemanship has been increaased from 1 year to 2 years. It's mandatory to do ur housemanship otherwise u wont get ur certificate or transcript or something lyk that. Life of a jnr doctor here is very cool and comfortable with the Ghanaian system. About 25m a month($30,000 a year) plus many allowances and you know the living standards her is very modest.

A friend mentioned how rigorous, or maybe how impossible it is for an intl to get some programs lyk neurosurgery. Which means i will have to give up my interests just to fit in the US pool. Sick! At least it's better than staying here working as a gp for years. What about UK, Anything about them with respect to intls specializing and working. Is their system friendly. Looks like everyone wants to get to the US. What's the secret?

The system has improved here, and we have many opportunities; the state pays us to study yearly and stuff. We also have very easy access to the patients. The doctors help us to examine them and explain their medical reports to us even though we're not yet in the clinical year. I spoke to a patient suffering 4rm goitre 2 days ago b4 her surgery yesterday and i learnt a lot.

I hear the law suits on doctors is very high in the US so doctors usually spend their monies on insurance. I thought those things were just in the movies. Is the situation the same with UK? No matter what i have to specialize not too long after i finish med school, so i'll shoot for it anyways.

Cheers!

@benny
30,000 dollars a year is so cool per Ghanaian standaards. do Housemen receive the same salary as Junior Doctors ie are houseman also classified as Junior Doctors???

the Uk is just like the Ghanaian system. U do your housemanship and stay on years as a GP until you get a specialization spot. It is tough becos there are equally a lot of Indians and West Africans in the system waiting to enter the system.

Today the USA has got the most attractive. Yes neurosurgery is tough but I think it could be achieved. Considering that u have an obrigatory 2 years housemanship....u could use that to work and study systematically for the 3 exams. The secret is to get very good grades in the Exams, some publications/ research work and a letter of recommendation from an american doctor(you could take an internship/ rotation in the USA in your final year).

I believe that Residency is something that u can't take for granted. it is something u are gonna do for the rest of your life so it shd be something you like. FP may be easier to enter but the question is is that something u will like to do??? Apart from that the salary aint that good compared to other specialties??? Apart from that if u decide to return to the homeland is it a specialty that u can fit easily into the system???

U are still young in medical School. Relax and chill kwraaa becos with time u will be exposed to so many specialties and it aint by force to make your decision today. Ex. I am 2 years away from graduation but I haven't totally made up my mind

I now get why everyone wants to go to the US. It's not easy o! System is too overwhelming and i'm almost devoid of a social life. It's going to be tough with the publications and research here cos of the system, but we'll see. So all i have to do is wok hard? cool!

I learnt the house officers also get about $1200 a month plus almost same incentives lyk duty-free shipping o cars and stuff.Government is still working hard tomake them happy here cos of the high exodus of doctors to the diaspora.

Got ur advice. I'll take things easy and work hard. Chao!

:Dhey guys still and will always be nigerian.will be a doc by february 2008.

Hey
i am a nigerian just got into sdn,going to caribbean med school in jan.

WOW I'm impressed this thread is still up and running. It must be the longest thread here on SDN. Good luck to all of Ya.

hi guys,
completed med schl in nigeria will be through with internship in march. i need advice on when best to do USMLE .... and what are my chances of getting a residency program in ? specialties(which specialties are well available) and which arer more well paid.
and what are my chances in other countries say canada or other.

please advise.
Dammie

Hello there,

I am not african nor american but french, and I have some question to you especially to the ghanaiians.
Well i am going on a clerkship this summer to ghana and I need some advices.
Could you first tell my what exactly is public health/community health?
Could you tell my how is medecine working there?
What do I have to know, what Should I absolutly visit or do?

Thanks so much for your answers

am not african nor american but french, and I have some question to you especially to the ghanaiians.
Well i am going on a clerkship this summer to ghana and I need some advices.
Could you first tell my what exactly is public health/community health?
Could you tell my how is medecine working there?
What do I have to know, what Should I absolutly visit or do?

Public health or community health( depends on where you are doing it -UGMS or SMS) butI will attempt to describe. The curicucullum is somewhat like an MPH here in the states but not that in depth. ( you would do epidemiology , biostatistics, reproductive health, enviromental heath just to name a few). Then there is the pracitcal aspect where you would evaluate a community ( town on village) -- their health policies , delivery of health care, accesibity to health care, sanitation etc/l. you might be posted to a community/village and would be attached to a clinic where you would help in caring for patients. You would do mostly out patient stuff though, ( this is hit or miss though)
Depending on what your expectations are this may or may not be the department you want to go to .( I am assuming you have never been to Gh and are expecting to see diseases and disease presntations you do not encounter in the states )
If you want to see lots of pathology and want predominantly in-patient then you may want to do an IM rotation . If surgery is your desire then OB/ Gen sug rotation would be a better option. On the other hand living in a rural community and seeing what is done there can be a really interesting experience.

Some of the places you should visit . Cape Coast , ELmina , Akosombo and Mole Park .

I hope this helps

I'm proudly Naija. already graduated from med school in Naija bt comin over to the States soon 4 step1
Anyone around residing in Philly?

Sup Dammie, we seem 2 av a lot in common. I'm proudly Naija though tryin 2 get a visa to the US to write USMLE. Hav already finished housemanship n now serving(NYSC).
mabe we should kp in touch mo often

:)This is Wishin everyone on Sdn a swell 2008
Lookin 4 anyone around here who resides in Philadelphia:laugh:

mayoree said:
So many Africans in Baltimore! The people in my new class are already starting to get together to meet and drink. I don't drink, and I don't care to shout over people in a noisy funky bar. Maybe we should have our own African get-together. Some egusi, gari, plantains, and jollof?? And some world cup baby, Go Ghana!!!!

That's a great idea. I have moved here to Harrisburg, PA (about an hour from Baltimore) getting ready to start my ortho residency. It would be a great idea to drive to B'more, and watch the world cup with other Ghanaians.
Pls let me in on any plans.

Yummy food!

Naija forever and proudly so. Finished Med Sch at the prestigious Obafemi Awololwo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, last year.

I am now resident in the US, New York precisely, planning strategically for the USMLE. Also longing to meet with other Nigerians in NY and in US generally.

I am proud of you all.

Cheers and wishing ya all a fulfilling year.

HI all,
Wow! these Ghanian guys are rocking:D:D

hey i'm a nigerian attending the university og Ghana medical school.I grad in a yr so i'm trying to get ready for the whole "MATCH" thing.so please suggestions are welcome from anyone ie any IMG's as the process is more difficult.

Basically i need to know the type of scores to get, wat else they look at.and the honest to God truth about my chances of matching!