Any Dentists here teach at a College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zenm111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student, used to be a restaurant GM, taking the DAT next year, so I have quite some time before I even think about the things I would like to do after my journey concludes. My question is, do any of you teach part-time while working as a Dentist? If I'm not mistaken, most associate jobs require 4 days a week. I don't want to teach for any financial incentive, I just love talking to and teaching people. I would love to teach like an intro to College class or a Prep course in Community College. Would love to hear from some of you on that.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a high a demand for dentists to teach at the dental schools whether it be in clinic or in a class. They're always looking for volunteers/non-paid positions as well. As for community colleges.... I don't think many real doctors are there lol.

ADEA also has a program where you can do a 1-2 year academic fellowship at your school, it's called ADCFP, look into it if your dental school offers it. It's geared toward you learning what it takes to become a professor and whatnot. My financee and I plan on teaching at our dental school after graduation, we're both enrolled in the fellowship program. We also get to do educational research and travel to ADEA conferences (for free) to present (this year it's in Orlando, FL).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind that the DDS/DMD is considered a professional degree, as opposed to a doctoral degree such as a PhD or EdD. Many colleges will not rank you above instructor without further education past your bachelors and exclude the dental degree. There are of course many opportunities to teach at dental schools. The shortage of qualified faculty is well known and discussed at ADEA often.

Members don't see this ad :)
The university I went to had a few MD's that taught some bio classes just because they liked teaching.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep my biochemistry teacher is a chiropractor.... you will always find opportunities to teach.