Any Dental School Applicants from this cycle or last years cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

personalstatementsbyeric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love to see some Dental School students/applicants on here...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely, if yall have any questions i'd be happy to help.

:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys.

I have a 3.3 overall and a 3.5 bcp gpa.

What should I aim for on the DAT?

Also are there any scholarships out there for us? If so what are the requirements?

Thanks guys.

I have a 3.3 overall and a 3.5 bcp gpa.

What should I aim for on the DAT?
Honestly, just get the best score you can. Kind of a vague answer but it works. A 19+ would be ideal. The higher score you get the more options you will have when it comes to picking schools and ultimately the less money you will have to spend getting a dental degree.

Also are there any scholarships out there for us? If so what are the requirements?
As @personalstatementsbyeric said I know UMKC has a scholarship that gives URM's instate tuition for all 4 years and they have another scholarship for minorities as well. Overall they offered me about 150k in scholarship money. Other than that no other schools (other than A&M) I was accepted to gave me any scholarship information.

Haha I would ask @Advance - I have a 19 AA, 18 PAT - a 3.3s, 3.6o - I am worried about getting in because I am a jersey resident so who knows
Your stats are competitive, just make sure you apply to the right schools and you will be fine.

I'm applying this cycle as well.

Do you guys know any practicing dentists who are URM ? I have never met one.

I shadowed one - what are your stats stoopidmonkey - I worry I am not competitive enough...
My gpa is a 3.8, and my science is a 3.77.

On the DAT , I scored a 21AA, 24Pat.

I think as long you meet the minimum scores necessary, your essays and application are what talk make the difference when it comes to competitiveness

My gpa is a 3.8, and my science is a 3.77.

On the DAT , I scored a 21AA, 24Pat.

I think as long you meet the minimum scores necessary, your essays and application are what talk make the difference when it comes to competitiveness
Jeez lol - you'll probably get in Harvard or something haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted last week I'm ready!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted late June and got 2 interviews so far. Good things ahead!

Congrats where are you applying?
Thanks! Everywhere bc I wasn't sure about my chances. All California schools except Loma Linda (UCLA, UCSF, USC, Western, U of P), plus OOS schools (UNLV, ASDOH, MWU-AZ, Pitt, Marquette, Creighton, Case, NYU, Tufts, Temple). And Colorado as a bonus even though they're not OOS friendly bc always wanted to live there.

You?

Thanks! Everywhere bc I wasn't sure about my chances. All California schools except Loma Linda (UCLA, UCSF, USC, Western, U of P), plus OOS schools (UNLV, ASDOH, MWU-AZ, Pitt, Marquette, Creighton, Case, NYU, Tufts, Temple). And Colorado as a bonus even though they're not OOS friendly bc always wanted to live there.

You?

UF, UNC, Meharry, Howard, LECOM, NOVA, NYU, Tufts, USC, Western, Louisville

Also applying this cycle! Yay excited for all of us!

Reactions: 1 users
How's the cycle going for everyone?

So far, so good. I applied to too many schools. 9 interviews, going to 8. Got 4 left. 1 went terrible, but others were good. How's it going for you?

So far, so good. I applied to too many schools. 9 interviews, going to 8. Got 4 left. 1 went terrible, but others were good. How's it going for you?
Woah that's a lot! Congratulations! Mine is going alright. So far I have 4 interviews and I also had one that went terrible--that was Penn for me. What schools did you get your 9 interviews at?

Woah that's a lot! Congratulations! Mine is going alright. So far I have 4 interviews and I also had one that went terrible--that was Penn for me. What schools did you get your 9 interviews at?

Thanks and congrats to you also! And you never know what happens, some people put up a terrible interview and get a call December 1st.

UCSF
Colorado
Midwestern
Pitt
ASDOH
Temple
Western
UNLV
Tufts (didnt have the time/money by the time they contacted me)

How bout you? Thanks for bumping this thread btw it's too quiet on this one.

Hey guys this cycle is also going well for me. So far I have 6 invites but I'm only going to 5 (as of right now) because I only have so many PTO days at work :shrug:
Thanks and congrats to you also! And you never know what happens, some people put up a terrible interview and get a call December 1st.

UCSF
Colorado
Midwestern
Pitt
ASDOH
Temple
Western
UNLV

I have an interview at Midwestern, Western, & UNLV as well. Maybe our paths will cross!

Pretty good so far :) 2 interviews, only went to 1, UCLA. Waiting on other schools, but this was my top choice, so I'm very satisfied thus far. Good luck to everyone!!

Pretty good so far :) 2 interviews, only went to 1, UCLA. Waiting on other schools, but this was my top choice, so I'm very satisfied thus far. Good luck to everyone!!
Make it 3 just now ;)

UCSF
Colorado
Midwestern
Pitt
ASDOH
Temple
Western
UNLV

You're right! I'm holding out hope for december 1st. I even started a countdown on my phone haha. I have Penn, Western, Columbia and Tufts. When are you doing western?

Hey guys this cycle is also going well for me. So far I have 6 invites but I'm only going to 5 (as of right now) because I only have so many PTO days at work :shrug:

I have an interview at Midwestern, Western, & UNLV as well. Maybe our paths will cross!
When are you doing Western?
Make it 3 just now ;)
Congratulations on UCLA! and congratulations on the new interview! Happy to see everyone making moves. :)

You're right! I'm holding out hope for december 1st. I even started a countdown on my phone haha. I have Penn, Western, Columbia and Tufts. When are you doing western?

I'm going to Western Friday! How about you?

Also, any updates? How's everyone feelin'? Sending everyone good energy~~

I'm going to Western Friday! How about you?

Also, any updates? How's everyone feelin'? Sending everyone good energy~~
I went to western on the 7th of October! How was your time there? It wasn't how I thought it would be. I had such high hopes for it but feel kind of let down.

I went to western on the 7th of October! How was your time there? It wasn't how I thought it would be. I had such high hopes for it but feel kind of let down.

That's a bummer. That's how I felt about the Arizona schools, especially ASDOH. Completely turned off.

As for Western, I enjoyed it. The students were very laid back and I liked the atmosphere of having a small class and campus. But I thought it was weird that during the intros of the student panel they all stated how many attempts it took them to get into dental school and told us how rare it is to get an acceptance. Like why? lol

Also, why did you feel that way?

That's a bummer. That's how I felt about the Arizona schools, especially ASDOH. Completely turned off.

As for Western, I enjoyed it. The students were very laid back and I liked the atmosphere of having a small class and campus. But I thought it was weird that during the intros of the student panel they all stated how many attempts it took them to get into dental school and told us how rare it is to get an acceptance. Like why? lol

Also, why did you feel that way?
Why were you turned off by ASDOH? As for western, it just seemed like they all chose it because they couldnt get in anywhere else. Besides that, I didn't like how they moved everything online. I would have felt more comfortable with it if during the student panel they all didn't mention how much they hate it. At other schools with a predominantly online platform, they'd already worked out the kinks and students did not talk about how much they hated it. Also, during my student panel we asked if they hang out with each other and they all said no like we had asked a crazy question. lol I'm not trying to move to a new state and be part of a student body that seems like they all don't like each other.

Why were you turned off by ASDOH? As for western, it just seemed like they all chose it because they couldnt get in anywhere else. Besides that, I didn't like how they moved everything online. I would have felt more comfortable with it if during the student panel they all didn't mention how much they hate it. At other schools with a predominantly online platform, they'd already worked out the kinks and students did not talk about how much they hated it. Also, during my student panel we asked if they hang out with each other and they all said no like we had asked a crazy question. lol I'm not trying to move to a new state and be part of a student body that seems like they all don't like each other.

ASDOH. It just seemed like everyone was just going through the motions—faculty, students, interviewees. No one was excited about it. Absolutely no sense of any type of student culture or community. I asked a couple people in my interview group how they felt and they were adamant about not going there and how it was a waste of an airline ticket. I was surprised everyone I asked was so blunt about it. Really disappointing experience.

And your remarks on Western are definitely valid. That's a good way to put it. I think I enjoyed it bc I live 20 minutes away, so I would ultimately commute. Student body wasn't a big factor if I stayed close to home since my friends are all still here in LA.

But like, if I only got into one of these schools I would for sure build myself up to be hyped about it hahah.

ASDOH. It just seemed like everyone was just going through the motions—faculty, students, interviewees. No one was excited about it. Absolutely no sense of any type of student culture or community. I asked a couple people in my interview group how they felt and they were adamant about not going there and how it was a waste of an airline ticket. I was surprised everyone I asked was so blunt about it. Really disappointing experience.

And your remarks on Western are definitely valid. That's a good way to put it. I think I enjoyed it bc I live 20 minutes away, so I would ultimately commute. Student body wasn't a big factor if I stayed close to home since my friends are all still here in LA.

But like, if I only got into one of these schools I would for sure build myself up to be hyped about it hahah.
I'm from Arizona so I get what you are saying about ASDOH. There's literally like only one POC there which is really disappointing. How important has that been to you? Living in Arizona, going to a school where there's actual diversity is something that has become more and more important to me as the cycle has gone on. I can see why Western would be a good choice for you seeing how it is close to home. That would save a lot of money and since you're already in your home state, you wouldn't need a support system like I would. Which schools have been your favorite so far?

Hey guys checking back in. I also did Western in October! I won't even try figuring out who you are seeing as there were like 100 people at the interview. I'm also from Arizona and have a good friend that goes to ASDOH. He really likes it but he told me that it's kind of like each man for themselves there. Mesa isn't exactly where I'd like to spend the next 4 years of my life so I personally passed on even applying there.

I'm from Arizona so I get what you are saying about ASDOH. There's literally like only one POC there which is really disappointing. How important has that been to you? Living in Arizona, going to a school where there's actual diversity is something that has become more and more important to me as the cycle has gone on. I can see why Western would be a good choice for you seeing how it is close to home. That would save a lot of money and since you're already in your home state, you wouldn't need a support system like I would. Which schools have been your favorite so far?

The schools I like the most are those that are relatively more diverse, and I feel like that's not a coincidence. Would really love to go to SF, Colorado, or UNLV. I'll throw Temple in there too. (Wish I liked Pitt more-- the price and program are really awesome...but 0 diversity.)

How about you/ others on this thread? What schools got you excited?

The schools I like the most are those that are relatively more diverse, and I feel like that's not a coincidence. Would really love to go to SF, Colorado, or UNLV. I'll throw Temple in there too. (Wish I liked Pitt more-- the price and program are really awesome...but 0 diversity.)

How about you/ others on this thread? What schools got you excited?
I almost applied to Pitt! Now that you say that, so glad I didn't. haha For me, the price at UNLV is so good. I hate vegas...like hattteeee vegas, but UNLV is so affordable that it seems almost stupid to pass up. I also loved Columbia because of the curriculum and living in NYC for some years would be cool. Interviewed at OHSU which was BEAUTIFUL but portland is literally known as the "whitest city in america" so that kills me. I have an interview with Tufts coming up. Excited for that because their d21's had TWENTY black people which gets me really excited haha but the price tag of that school is not exciting. haha So yeah, those are my top 4 so far!

Would be blessed just getting admitted though! haha

I am mostly excited for UPenn because it was the place that felt mostly like home when I interviewed (even if it's the one I feel I did the worst at). The school really shocked me. The only thing would be without a scholarship I would have to think really long and hard about it since I'm not trying to pay back debt for the next 10,000 years of my life.

How are we all doing? Where is everyone headed?

Biggest shocker of all, Penn lol They came in clutch with a 30K/year scholarship out of nowhere! How about you?

Reactions: 3 users
Currently undecided! I got a scholarship offer to one school, but I can't decide if moving to the east coast is worth it when I can go to my post december interview at Midwestern and still stay close to my family...Might be putting my deposits down at at multiple places to give me time to think (thanks mom). haha
Biggest shocker of all, Penn lol They came in clutch with a 30K/year scholarship out of nowhere! How about you?
Congratulations! I also got into Penn but I did not get a scholarship, so it's one of the schools I'm on the fence about, but I'm probably going to be turning it down. :(

Heyyy come back and join the convo! haha
Haha hey y'all! I ended up with 5 interviews pre-dec, but only went to 2. Decided on UCLA for school and they gave me a 15K/year scholarship which was unexpected as hell. The other school I visited was U of Pacific, but I didn't like it. Only one black student out of all THREE class years, which I thought was crazy.

Haha hey y'all! I ended up with 5 interviews pre-dec, but only went to 2. Decided on UCLA for school and they gave me a 15K/year scholarship which was unexpected as hell. The other school I visited was U of Pacific, but I didn't like it. Only one black student out of all THREE class years, which I thought was crazy.
Congratulations on UCLA!! And it was your first choice. Plus a scholarship, Nice! Are you from CA? Wondering how early everyone plans to move to the state where their schools are?
Where are you headed? & How are you doing? :)

Where are you headed? & How are you doing? :)

Hey! Glad everyone here had a successful December 1st! I got into my dream school--UCSF! I'm just glad this whole process is over. What an emotionally and financially draining experience. How is everyone killing time until the fall?