any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorA1b

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated medical school 6 years ago and have clinical experience in the states . any chance of me getting back into medicine . had good scores on all exams. is it worth a try to get back into medicine. I am an IMG who tried to gain residency but was unsuccessful before. I then went to study computer engineering, my passion was to get into radiology. do I stand any chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it depends.

First of all, it's probably much too late for this year. Applications opened on 9/15, and most programs have reviewed and made their selections. Applications received now will not likely be looked on favorably. So realistically, you'd be applying for a position next year.

Much depends upon why you were unsuccessful last time. Your Comp Eng degree is unlikely to help your application much, unless you have done radiology research / work in your degree program. If your application last time was limited by something (low USMLE, no US experience, no ECFMG, etc) and that's fixed now, you perhaps have a chance. But being 7 years out will be a huge negative. The only good news in all of this is that Rads is less competitive now than it was 7 years ago.

Though I agree with aprogdirector. But i still think their could be some chances for you. Better if you gather all your relevant experience and study at one and then collect all the information required. Might help you to come up with some decision. And its never to late to study and gain knowledge....