Any chance of MD/PhD + is it worth retaking the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgillnsci1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my profile:
GPA: 3.6 (McGill University, Psychology + Neuroscience) with an upward trend (3.2, 3.66, 3.85, 3.80)
MCAT:515

Research:

During my undergrad: Worked in three different labs, but my most significant experience was leading a collaborative project between two labs (Neuroscience and biomedical engineering), during which I did 3 full-time summers of research, funded by various research awards and when not working full-time, volunteering or researching for credit for 5 semesters of school. This work should result in a first-authored manuscript with a relatively high impact factor, which I am writing now. I also presented posters and published abstracts at two international conferences and a few local ones.

After graduating I did a four month internship at a lab abroad, from which I have a 3rd author-ed pub (IF~19)

Now I am working as a research assistant/lab tech at Columbia University, doing an independent research project and also finishing up a project for a previous PhD student

Clinical: one summer volunteering at the childrens hopsital, hoping to get shadowing hours soon

EC: volunteered for a crisis-line during my undergrad degree for 2 years

Alright, so I was wondering if there was any hope of me getting into a solid MSTP program if I apply next year. I know that right now my weakness is my GPA and lack of clinical exposure, but I am hoping that my research experience can compensate/I can boost that part of my application this year. Also, just in case, would there be any hope if I applied this year?

I just got my MCAT score today, and I strongly believe I could boost my score with a retake. I started going through a tough time in my personal life while studying, and ended up not studying the P/S sections or B/B sections (only did 1/2 of the EK biology book 1) at all. I also had no course-work on systems biology and hadnt taken non-neurobiology bio classes since my second year of college. Also for C/P I only did practice problems for each section 1x, and did not review them in depth. Basically I just tried to logic my way through the exam, and did fairly well. I bet if I really applied myself for a few months I could boost my score to the 520 range. Do you guys think getting my score up a bit would help my chances for a good MSTP program?

Thanks a lot! Sorry that was so long...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you went to McGill, I have to ask whether you are a US citizen or permanent resident. If not, your adds for admission are quite small. As you correctly identified, your GPA, MCAT, and lack of clinical exposure are your vulnerable points. You cannot do anything about the GPA, and the upward trend will have an ameliorating effect. Since you are confident that you can improve your MCAT performance, I encourage you to retake it. While a 515 is not prohibitively low, a 520 would be more compelling. Finally, you need to have some sort of clinical exposure to overcome resistance from MD admissions committees. As your applicant profile stands right now, you have a chance to get into some solid programs. A stronger MCAT and some clinical exposure will increase your chances among mid-tier programs and may allow you to gain admission to some upper-tier programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you went to McGill, I have to ask whether you are a US citizen or permanent resident. If not, your adds for admission are quite small. As you correctly identified, your GPA, MCAT, and lack of clinical exposure are your vulnerable points. You cannot do anything about the GPA, and the upward trend will have an ameliorating effect. Since you are confident that you can improve your MCAT performance, I encourage you to retake it. While a 515 is not prohibitively low, a 520 would be more compelling. Finally, you need to have some sort of clinical exposure to overcome resistance from MD admissions committees. As your applicant profile stands right now, you have a chance to get into some solid programs. A stronger MCAT and some clinical exposure will increase your chances among mid-tier programs and may allow you to gain admission to some upper-tier programs.

Thanks for your response! I am an American and Canadian dual citizen, so that should help. Sorry I didn't include that. Would it be worth taking any grad-level classes? I can get into a few with a tuition waiver at Columbia while I am an employee here.

And when you say 'you have a chance to get into some solid programs', do you mean if I did not change anything? or with the addition of more clinical exposure + a better MCAT? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
515 is plenty. Don't retake that.

Thanks for your response! I am an American and Canadian dual citizen, so that should help. Sorry I didn't include that. Would it be worth taking any grad-level classes? I can get into a few with a tuition waiver at Columbia while I am an employee here.

And when you say 'you have a chance to get into some solid programs', do you mean if I did not change anything? or with the addition of more clinical exposure + a better MCAT? Thanks again!

You do have a chance to get into some solid programs without do anything more (better MCAT & more clinical exposure). If you were able to improve in those two areas, you should have better success among mid-tier programs. I think taking graduate courses at Columbia is a lower yield strategy. It will not hurt, and might help a little, but it might also cost you some time in the lab. While you do not need to strengthen the research component of your application, you can never have too much research.

If you think you have significant room to improve on the MCAT, and after taking FLs you are confident in a 520+ score, I think it's worth it to retake and apply early next year. Most MSTPs have median scores of 515+ among matriculants so your current score makes you squarely average or, conservatively, slightly below average. If you do decide to retake, I would suggest studying now and testing in August since the content is relatively fresh in your mind and you know where you can improve.

The GPA is not the best but you can't fret about that now, and it's still within the range of acceptance to many MSTPs. An excellent MCAT score will help adcoms look past your GPA.