any Brahmin pre-meds out there??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wingwang

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is hard being a Brahmin Indian with all the others so jealous of me...

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in India? Or US? If U are in India I understand Ur statement. Zero seats for the Brahmins! Lots of seats for lower class! Is that it? Well I am a son of a Brahmin but fortunately here in US nobody hates you because you are Brahmin. Heck most don't know what the word is. My future kids probably won't know the word exists. So, why did you start this thread? :confused:

babloo said:
Are you in India? Or US? If U are in India I understand Ur statement. Zero seats for the Brahmins! Lots of seats for lower class! Is that it? Well I am a son of a Brahmin but fortunately here in US nobody hates you because you are Brahmin. Heck most don't know what the word is. My future kids probably won't know the word exists. So, why did you start this thread? :confused:
Others are jealous of you? Zero seats for brahmins huh? All going to the lower class?

Both of you gadhas deserve each other.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TO the OP..Are you serious?

Anyway, everyone knows "Its hard out there for a P*mp"..

sunny123 said:
Others are jealous of you? Zero seats for brahmins huh?

it is bit exaggerated but reality is not far from what is stated!

- Gaurav "anti-Mandal" Sharma

are you serious? just trying to stir the pot, eh?

i'm also brahmin and i don't think even i care about it let alone worry about if others are jealous or not. what would they be jealous of?? the caste system is kinda old...let's get moving to something more interesting...

gwen said:
are you serious? just trying to stir the pot, eh?

i'm also brahmin and i don't think even i care about it let alone worry about if others are jealous or not. what would they be jealous of?? the caste system is kinda old...let's get moving to something more interesting...

i agree. i'm brahmin myself, but the caste system is totally ridiculous-- my opinion. i'm completely against the whole quota thing though that's going on in india right now. ******s are ******s. maybe i'm being stupid, but i think that intelligence has nothing to do with a person's caste.

wingwang said:

Exactly what are they to be jealous of?
Being Brahmin is just a caste you belong to no more no less...
So WHAT ARE you on about???

I'm a Brahmin and I dunt giv a damn abt the caste system, itz jus there to create discrimination, jus like religion! It's soooo disgusting to see that there is the caste system...I hate it. All my frens, whether they arent Brahmins, are my best pals..I love them, and we get along perfectly. My parents have never believed in this ****ty caste system...grow up India!! Get matured!!

wishbone1 said:
Exactly what are they to be jealous of?
Being Brahmin is just a caste you belong to no more no less...
So WHAT ARE you on about???

though this question is not meant for me but i want to tell you that there are many things to be jealous of. Being a Brahmin or other upper caste doesnt end just there... its more than that at least in India (I dont know much about NRIs.). Just to give an idea Brahmins of India can be roughly compared with WASPs of USA. So isn't it just natural to be jealous of elites and established??? lets face it, there always will be a group of people who would be jealous of established / elite, its reality of life and there is no denying it.

Disclaimer : I'm not Brahmin, I'm Vaishya (the trader caste - so called upper caste)

quite right i too belong to a forward caste,
as far as i feel.............caste has nothin to do with intelligence.......i have seen lower castes doing great (though few of them)...........but the idea of snatching others seat just coz of caste isnt damn good.......that too in PG.

as regards to this thread................i think it was rightly said by a poster......... both deserve each other..........

if u have the brains then dont worry abt caste system..............in the coming age.........your knowledge, not your caste will pay .....

me too........'ANTI MANDAL' SID :)

The current quota scheme in India is insane. What are my relatives back there supposed to do? Leave the country? :rolleyes:

In many states the reservations are on the order of 70% or more. And the Central government wants to give OBC's (Other Backward Castes) 27% reservations across the board in all national institutions and jobs. Now there's talk of reservations in private sector jobs.

I'm a Brahmin (a Bhumihar Brahmin actually, from Bihar). My ancestors were all mostly unglamorous farmers, until my great-Grandfather went to law school and made something of himself. He was actually very involved in these efforts to redistribute land to lower caste Hindus, and reservations back in the 1950's and 1960's. What a damned fool mistake that was. You give someone an inch and they'll want a mile. :rolleyes:

Here's a good read from a Frenchman living in India on the status of Brahmins today: http://ia.rediff.com/news/2006/may/23franc.htm
Many Brahmins are just dirt poor rickshaw pullers. I know for a fact that in Bihar, many of these OBC castes are much better off on average (in terms of income, power, etc.) than Brahmins are.

The whole term "Other Backward Caste" is a misnomer, because these people were never backward. They were essentially the middle class in fuedal India. Some of them like gwalas and kurmis always had a decent living, and considereable power. And some, like banias (the merchant-shopkeeper) have always been ridiculously wealthy. Giving reservations to these people makes *no sense*. Hell giving reservations to anyone makes no sense. I'm very glad my parents left India when they did, because I look at a lot of my relatives back home who are rotting because they can't get into college or get jobs or government contracts or whatever because they are Brahmins. +pissed+

What do they want? Are we all supposed to leave and come to America?

Members don't see this ad :)
k there buddy!! why don't you not waste your time thinking about this and maybe focus on better things in your life? Intelligence and caste have nothing to do with each other. If you're a biology major and you didn't know this, I'd be ashamed.

^ thats what we want to say... we have equal brains thats why we shouldn't have any reservations...

wingwang said:

This post makes no sense unless you consciously want to be identified by your caste for lack of any better identification... like your brain...??!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE.
The same reason i left the country. i am also south indian brahmin.

Llenroc said:
The current quota scheme in India is insane. What are my relatives back there supposed to do? Leave the country? :rolleyes:

In many states the reservations are on the order of 70% or more. And the Central government wants to give OBC's (Other Backward Castes) 27% reservations across the board in all national institutions and jobs. Now there's talk of reservations in private sector jobs.

I'm a Brahmin (a Bhumihar Brahmin actually, from Bihar). My ancestors were all mostly unglamorous farmers, until my great-Grandfather went to law school and made something of himself. He was actually very involved in these efforts to redistribute land to lower caste Hindus, and reservations back in the 1950's and 1960's. What a damned fool mistake that was. You give someone an inch and they'll want a mile. :rolleyes:

Here's a good read from a Frenchman living in India on the status of Brahmins today: http://ia.rediff.com/news/2006/may/23franc.htm
Many Brahmins are just dirt poor rickshaw pullers. I know for a fact that in Bihar, many of these OBC castes are much better off on average (in terms of income, power, etc.) than Brahmins are.

The whole term "Other Backward Caste" is a misnomer, because these people were never backward. They were essentially the middle class in fuedal India. Some of them like gwalas and kurmis always had a decent living, and considereable power. And some, like banias (the merchant-shopkeeper) have always been ridiculously wealthy. Giving reservations to these people makes *no sense*. Hell giving reservations to anyone makes no sense. I'm very glad my parents left India when they did, because I look at a lot of my relatives back home who are rotting because they can't get into college or get jobs or government contracts or whatever because they are Brahmins. +pissed+

What do they want? Are we all supposed to leave and come to America?

wingwang said:
Yucks !!! Grow Up !!!!

yep being a brahmin in india is having all your rights revoked atleast in d educational field........but i think the quota system should be based on economic status rather than a caste based system......if ur in india what the heck u accept it......but if your in the US.......all d guys will get nice brahmin kudis!!!!!

I'm an Indian born and brought up in America...I was just surfing the forum and ran into this one. I think the whole quota system is not so good. Alot of people I know have suffered because of it and haven't gotten admission whereas a bunch of their friends with lower scores have. I understand affirmative action and feel it is important to forward society as a whole and not just the "upper class," but putting a 70% emphasis is overdoing it and hindering the advancement of students with the brains.

Now about the caste system being obsolete and dumb causing rifts...its really sad. The caste system has been causing alot of problems because of so many different interpretations. It was established to order society. I'm proud of my heritage and want to maintain the reputation of my caste. I think problems have surfaced because when people don't see difference between people from different castes, they question the reason for a caste system. If Brahmins live their life like any other person on the road chopping meat for a living for example, then what is the difference between the butcher and the Brahmin? It's important to maintain one's dharma and family tradition. If people did that, then there would be a respect for Brahmins and not a hatred from other people.

I'm pretty sure there is no genetic difference between a dude chopping meat on the side of the road versus a brahmin.

What's next? Oh yeah, we should re-institute segregation in America, because if we don't, black people might start thinking that there's no difference between them and any other race.

:rolleyes:

lol, i'm not saying anyone is superior at all or that there are genetic differences. My observation is that maybe one of the reasons for why there are problems in India (implementation of affirmative action) is because Brahmins claim to be something they're not instead of earning their prestige as done in the past. Years ago, most of the lawyers, all the priests, etc were brahmin. Now when people see that Brahmins are not maintaining the past lifestyle, society is asking why can't anybody be a priest, why only the brahmins. Of course anybody can, but there is a lifestyle that one has to abide by to do those things. When Brahmins claim to be priests but don't follow that lifestyle, thats when problems arise.

I have no idea what you're talking about in that comment lol. I'm just commenting how its important to maintain one's tradition.

These days and this used to happen in the past - at places where there aren't many brahmins / are not interested in religious work, people from other castes have been allowed to take on the role.

IN Gujarat people from all castes especially backward classes are taking Sanskrit for better job prospects and all.
But what I am happy about is that everyone is having the opportunity to learn Sanskrit- what a beautiful language.

vakAryaM bhavAneva karotu | tat uttamaM |
<lang=eng> You do your own work. That is best.

http://www.speaksanskrit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Yeah, thats definitely great. I think its a bit different in the south. The caste system is more emphasized, there's more of a distinction between people. In the north, there seems to be a bit more unity because hindus needed that with foreign invasions over centuries.

But even in the past, there was alot more unity. Brahmins, Kshatriyas, and Vaishyas used to wear the sacred thread...but thats dwindled to the point that most Brahmins esp in America don't care about it or understand the importance of any of our traditions.

People are quick to find fault with religion and claim themselves as agnostics or atheists, but will spend decades studying and taking blind faith in quantum physics and black holes.

drdoctor said:
lol, i'm not saying anyone is superior at all or that there are genetic differences. My observation is that maybe one of the reasons for why there are problems in India (implementation of affirmative action) is because Brahmins claim to be something they're not instead of earning their prestige as done in the past. Years ago, most of the lawyers, all the priests, etc were brahmin. Now when people see that Brahmins are not maintaining the past lifestyle, society is asking why can't anybody be a priest, why only the brahmins. Of course anybody can, but there is a lifestyle that one has to abide by to do those things. When Brahmins claim to be priests but don't follow that lifestyle, thats when problems arise.

I have no idea what you're talking about in that comment lol. I'm just commenting how its important to maintain one's tradition.

Most Brahmin priests are dirt poor. Seriously, dirt ****ing poor. After doing a puja in India they get paid in milk and hand-me-down clothes. Nobody else becomes priests because it's a cultural duty that you grow up with in - certain - Brahmin families, and it's not lucrative so there's not exactly millions of people lining up to do it.

Llenroc said:
Most Brahmin priests are dirt poor. Seriously, dirt ****ing poor. After doing a puja in India they get paid in milk and hand-me-down clothes. Nobody else becomes priests because it's a cultural duty that you grow up with in - certain - Brahmin families, and it's not lucrative so there's not exactly millions of people lining up to do it.

Brahmins haven't always been priests, decades ago, many were in politics, law, film, the whole professional arena. But alot maintained certain practices. Srinivasa Ramanuja Iyengar, the great mathematician in the 20th century went to study in Oxford and was known to wear traditional clothing, eat vegetarian food, not drink alcohol, pray religiously, etc. These people were respected for their habits. The thing is the dharma of a brahmin is different from other castes. Kshatriyas for example can do these things as part of their dharma. You are brahmin not by birth but by lifestyle. When Brahmins in India claim to be superior when they themselves do not practice brahminism, then thats how problems arise. Its important to gain respect not demand it.

I had just started to agree that India doesn't need reservations, and then DrDoctor started speaking! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
The caste system is hilarious. Even more hilarious are the people who actually put any stock in it, consciously or unconsciously.

Reactions: 1 user
i am misssin my previous post, dunno why!!! was it removed by mods??

wingwang said:

Puh-lease! Caste schmaste, try being drop dead gorgeous and ridiculously intelligent - man, life just doesn't get any harder.

this is sort of off topic, but as brahmins, how many of you guys still practice some of the basic tenets: such as vegetarianism, abstinence from salival exchange (including kissing), daily rituals, etc? just curious to see if present day brahmins still adhere to these traditions...

Other than the daily rituals, I do....
:)

The caste system is hilarious. Even more hilarious are the people who actually put any stock in it, consciously or unconsciously.

There is nothing hilarious about it. It is something that has been ingrained into the society generation after generation; consequently it is something that the country as a whole is having a difficult time getting rid of.

The constitution of India protects the rights and priviliges of each individual despite of cast or creed. The problem is mostly a social one limited to areas with poor economic conditions and low literacy rates.

I think it is a good thing that the government in involved in such an aggressive campaign to uplift the segment of society which was opressed and marginalized for a very long time. However, they are going about it in the wrong way. Reservations at the upper eschelons of the education system is pointless. They have to first keep up with and further expand equal educational opportunity at the school level first. Unfortunately, this is also a major political ploy. University students vote.

"wingwang" the OP...wonder where he went. he has had nothing to say so far.

I came across this post a while back and finally joined SDN to give my two cents.

First off, if i were in India, i'd be classified as Brahmin.

Second off, Brahmin's must recognize and stop the elitist attitudes that led to the oppression of Dalits.

Third off, reservations based on ECONOMIC class are a good idea. Should be based on income, not caste. THis will end up helping untouchables that need help.

Fourthly, reservation seats must not take up 70 percent of all medical school seats in Tamil Nadu as they do now. I get the feeling that especially in T. Nadu, there is widespread resentment towards Brahmins. After going to a website called dalitstan.org and reading the jokes written about Brahmins, I feel that politicians may be able to someday stir the masses into somewhat of a Brahmin genocide. This would help nobody and cripple India.

India is on its way up to being a superpower. Caste animosities must be left behind because they divide the society. Brahmins were a holes in the past. Tomorrow there will be a new generation of wealthy a holes....that's the way society usually works. Hatred against Brahmins on the other hand is causing many educated Brahmins to leave India, which is not good for the local economy. At the same time, rules like temples that only have Brahmin priests must be destroyed. Brahminism should be a way of life....a priestly life, not something you are born into. An untouchable should be allowed to be a priest or whatever at any temple in India. All racist rules should be destroyed. Of course, for minds to change will take more time, but it will happen, especially since Brahmins are a minority in India (unlike WASPs in America).

Reservations based on income is the just way to go.

websites like dalitstan.org that spread hatred should be banned

jiminy cricket, if i were in india i'd be classified as a Brahmin as well

and i also agree wit ur post!

Telugu Brahmin here

Also this was clearly a troll thread

Last edited:
There seem to be a lot more brahmins on SDN than in India.

Many Brahmins are just dirt poor rickshaw pullers.

Leaving this here because truth: most brahmins live in agraharams and the like which are decrepit and obviously destitute old streets with few facilities. Saying that brahmins in general are well-established, well-to-do or well-respected is, respectfully, a lie.

Leaving this here because truth: most brahmins live in agraharams and the like which are decrepit and obviously destitute old streets with few facilities. Saying that brahmins in general are well-established, well-to-do or well-respected is, respectfully, a lie.

This is the absolute truth. Brahmins were never the wealthy caste. Dalits, Reddys, and Naidus (no offense intended) wield enormous political power in India, but the Brahmin persecution continues.

Also there's a lot of Brahmins in the US lol.

Also there's a lot of Brahmins in the US lol.

I was being hyperbolic, lol - tho you have to admit that a significant number of brahmins are too scared/unwilling to admit their status publicly - that makes me wonder how so many are/were active on SDN.