Another "chance me"... shocker, right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveWillSaveTheDay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting right to the point. Graduated 2 years ago with 2 degrees, Biology and Chemistry with a 2.679. Certified pharmacy tech for 2 years and just recently went back to school to up my gpa. Never failed a class, but I did have two D's in inorganic and statistics. Retook those while still in undergrad and I got an A in inorganic and a C in statistics. I mostly had a ton of C's but I'm in the process of turning a few of them into A's. So far I have taken a year of orgo over and got an A both semesters this time (had a C the first time) and an A in psychology and medical terminology. I've raised it to a 2.8 cGPA and a 2.6 sGPA.

I also have volunteer hours at a mission clinic and I'm shadowing/scribing an ophthalmologist (I had an opportunity and jumped at it) and LOR are all coming from my pharmacist and my ophthalmologist, who btw is pushing for med school but I DEF don't have the gpa for that. Won't even waste my time entertaining that.

I take the pcat in July, start studying in May and I'm truly not intimidated by it.

Ideally, i would love to get my gpa at a 3.0 but I've take sooo many science classes that it'll take too much time and money to even get there. I'm aiming to get my sGPA at a 2.8 as well.

No im not interested in anything but pharmacy. Yes I know that market is saturated in big cities. Luckily I'm a Kentucky girl with only two schools in the state so the job market is not as bad as Cali or Texas, though I'll apply to more than just the two to widen my options.

I know you all are tired of these, so thank you very much for even taking the time to click on this thread. I really just want to know what else I can do. I plan to apply fall 17 or 18 depending on how long it takes my sGPA to rise since I work full time.

Again, Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

With those stats you will have some shots. What schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My dream school is University of Kentucky who've I met with and discussed my gpa with. They told me to get a 2.8 before applying, but I'll also apply to UNT, UT Austin, UT Tyler (my dad lives in Texas) and U of Michigan (my mom lives in Ann Arbor) but I'm open to other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to be a debbie downer and I don't mean this in a rude way, I promise, I'm just genuinely curious. What makes you think you'll do well in pharmacy school if the first time you took majority of your science courses you got a C or lower? Don't get me wrong, no one cares about a C or two or even three, but it's kind of like a red flag when your science GPA is barely a 2.6. Also, if you haven't already, take into account that pharmcas will not do grade replacements when calculating GPA.

I live in Michigan. I don't know much about Pharmacy schools outside of Michigan, however, all three Michigan schools are competitive, especially umich and wsu. While being a certified tech is a huge help, majority of pre pharm students in Michigan are also certified. Everyone I know that's gotten into umich had a 3.3+ sGPA and a 3.5+ cGPA as calculated by pharmcas, 90%+ PCAT, pharmacy experience, and some form of tutoring or mentoring experience, extensive volunteer work in clinics or hospitals, a couple also had extensive research experience, and nearly all of them had a bachelors degree in the hard sciences.

It's still possible to get into pharm school with your stats, but if you're really considering umich, you're gonna need more than A's in the classes you retake and a high PCAT.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be a debbie downer and I don't mean this in a rude way, I promise, I'm just genuinely curious. What makes you think you'll do well in pharmacy school if the first time you took majority of your science courses you got a C or lower? Don't get me wrong, no one cares about a C or two or even three, but it's kind of like a red flag when your science GPA is barely a 2.6. Also, if you haven't already, take into account that pharmcas will not do grade replacements when calculating GPA.

I live in Michigan. I don't know much about Pharmacy schools outside of Michigan, however, all three Michigan schools are competitive, especially umich and wsu. While being a certified tech is a huge help, majority of pre pharm students in Michigan are also certified. Everyone I know that's gotten into umich had a 3.3+ sGPA and a 3.5+ cGPA as calculated by pharmcas, 90%+ PCAT, pharmacy experience, and some form of tutoring or mentoring experience, extensive volunteer work in clinics or hospitals, a couple also had extensive research experience, and nearly all of them had a bachelors degree in the hard sciences.

It's still possible to get into pharm school with your stats, but if you're really considering umich, you're gonna need more than A's in the classes you retake and a high PCAT.

Good luck.
No, this is what I want to hear. I haven't reached out to umich so I didn't know. All I know of them is what's on their website and that their in the top 10 pharmacy schools. This is one of the fears I have because I only desire top schools. UK is number 6 and UT Austin is ranked third.
I have no excuse for my grades to be completely honest, pure laziness. I just wanted a degree because that seemed like the next step to go after high school and C's get degrees. It was enough for me as long as I got my degree. I was satisfied... until one day I just wasn't. I want more now and I'm reaping what I sowed.
I have no doubt in my mind I can keep up in pharmacy school. Just making there after a rocky start is the issue.

Thank you very much for your honesty