Another annoying "what are my chances" post (very appreciative though)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anb1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to Cal State San Marcos and I was wondering if my chances of getting into pharmacy school are going to be limited because I go to a new school that isn't as established as others? At CSUSM, chemistry and biochemistry majors graduate with American Chemical Society certification in order to demonstrate that our curriculum is up to par with the ACS standards. Do you think this will be beneficial or not so much?
Also, what are my chances of getting into California pharmacy schools (applying fall 2018) with these stats (and what else do you recommend for me to do):
-biochemistry major
-3.92 GPA
-pharmacy technician certification
-started working in an independent pharmacy in March
-physics learning assistant
-2 research labs
-in a sorority and have held 2 positions regarding ethics and standards (also, should I even mention that I'm in a sorority on the application lol)
-lots of philanthropy hours for domestic violence awareness (due to sorority)
-member of a few clubs on campus

Any recommendations would be really helpful. I know that these posts are really annoying but with pharmacy school apps around the corner, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your background is pretty solid. Get a good score on the PCAT and you will not have any problem getting into any pharmacy school; however, I would recommend looking at other alternatives outside California, because pharmacy schools there are extremely competitive and very expensive also.

My recommendation? go to med school and stay clear of pharmacy. you have the GPA for it. Tack on some community service and shadowing and then take the MCAT and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are URM run with it...

Like someone above said, you could def get into a good medical school with those stats, but I'd get it if you said you weren't interested in medicine, because some people just aren't.

You'll get into the pharmacy school of your choice, whatever it is. Score an 80%+ on the PCAT with good scores in bio and chem + interview well & you're set.
I'd say yes mention the sorority. It shows that you're involved in your campus community and have leadership skills.

If for whatever reason you decide to pursue something above pharmacy, volunteer in a hospital or clinic. Otherwise, you're good for pharm school.

I go to Cal State San Marcos and I was wondering if my chances of getting into pharmacy school are going to be limited because I go to a new school that isn't as established as others? At CSUSM, chemistry and biochemistry majors graduate with American Chemical Society certification in order to demonstrate that our curriculum is up to par with the ACS standards. Do you think this will be beneficial or not so much?
Also, what are my chances of getting into California pharmacy schools (applying fall 2018) with these stats (and what else do you recommend for me to do):
-biochemistry major
-3.92 GPA
-pharmacy technician certification
-started working in an independent pharmacy in March
-physics learning assistant
-2 research labs
-in a sorority and have held 2 positions regarding ethics and standards (also, should I even mention that I'm in a sorority on the application lol)
-lots of philanthropy hours for domestic violence awareness (due to sorority)
-member of a few clubs on campus

Any recommendations would be really helpful. I know that these posts are really annoying but with pharmacy school apps around the corner, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!
Thank you all I appreciate your time!

I was choose another major, i.e. computer science or engineering. These offer much better job prospects, pay well, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school. Jobs in these fields are actually abundant in California, whereas with the saturation in pharmacy you will be forced to move out of state into the boonies to find a job one you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @anb1995, second year pharmacy school student at University of Maryland here. If you see yourself working as a pharmacist, then PURSUE IT! Pharmacy school is tough especially at a top 9 ranked school, but I am more excited to become a pharmacist day after day. My boyfriend is a medical school student and he is constantly stressed out, and there is SO much more school and training involved compared to pharmacy school. So if you feel that pharmacy is right for you, don't let others change your opinion!

Your GPA is spectacular. I think if you scored a 70 percentile on the PCAT, you would still be competitive as you have such a high GPA. BUT don't take my word on that and still try to do your best. Have good recommendations and write a strong personal statement. Hope this helps! :)

- A happy pharmacy student