This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joan Stewart

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This post is intended for occupational therapists who work on rehabilitating animals and are CCRP certified.

I am very interested in working with animals, but don't know if I would qualify for vet school. The thought of performing surgery and putting animals to sleep is also very unappealing to me. I am considering taking the OTD/DPT route, so I can get CCRP certified (Canine Rehabilitation Certificate Program). I know occupational/physical therapy school is a HUGE commitment both time wise and financially. I would like to know, is it possible to make a living as a OT working only on animals? Is the pay the same as working on humans? Is it harder to find an animal rehabilitation job as an OT than a PT? Any other information or insight from someone in the field would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! So I am currently getting my MOT right now and have been looking into getting my CCRP. I will be contacting a vet this week to ask some questions about how viable the market is for someone with with an OT degree (as opposed to PT or vet). I can let you know what they tell me once I hear back. One recommendation I have for you - if you want to get a degree in OT, just go for MOT. It's cheaper, takes less time, and you would get grandfathered in before they change entry level to doctorate. In speaking with people in OT and PT, they all seem to think it's a bit overkill to get a doctorate. Plus, I know some schools (mine) want you to have experience working as an OT and will not accept someone without it. Ultimately it's your choice, but I thought I would share my professors thoughts and those working in the field. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! So I am currently getting my MOT right now and have been looking into getting my CCRP. I will be contacting a vet this week to ask some questions about how viable the market is for someone with with an OT degree (as opposed to PT or vet). I can let you know what they tell me once I hear back. One recommendation I have for you - if you want to get a degree in OT, just go for MOT. It's cheaper, takes less time, and you would get grandfathered in before they change entry level to doctorate. In speaking with people in OT and PT, they all seem to think it's a bit overkill to get a doctorate. Plus, I know some schools (mine) want you to have experience working as an OT and will not accept someone without it. Ultimately it's your choice, but I thought I would share my professors thoughts and those working in the field. :)

Thanks for all the helpful information! I look forward to hearing about what you find out!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're welcome :) So the vet will be out of the office until next week but I will keep you posted on what he says once he returns/responds!

Reactions: 1 user
HEY! Sorry for the super delayed response. So I was able to talk to two people. One of whom is an OT/CCRP and works at her husbands PT clinic, the other who is a CCRP and owns her own practice. The OT said the girl who works for her (PT/CRRP) winds up making $15/hr less than she makes treating human clients. So that kind of sucks :(. BUT if you wanted to do a half OT with people and half with pups, that could be a viable alternative (although you'd likely lose out on benefits). The other lady I spoke with who owns her own clinic makes a ridiculous amount of money. She is self employed and has ZERO staff, so she works her ass off. She works M/T/Th and sees 25 dogs per day. She is one of the few people who provides the canine rehab service exclusively so she is a very unique case. However, with enough determination and shadowing/working at a clinic with a knowledgeable CCRP, I think it could be done. It's definitely not as easy to get started as most of the specialties, of course. But best of luck deciding!!