Anesthesiology residency question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schoolmarm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding what programs would be good for me.. I am basically an average student with average clerkship grades with a decent board score (high 230s). Are there any good anesthesiology programs that I would have a shot at?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question regarding what programs would be good for me.. I am basically an average student with average clerkship grades with a decent board score (high 230s). Are there any good anesthesiology programs that I would have a shot at?

McMurdo Station in Antarctica is accepting apps. They are the only place that takes below 240s, and you have to sign up for a double HPSP scholarship just to get it.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

Have you considered a career in chiropracty?

Thanks guys, I'm so glad I'm gonna be one of yall soon. Your responses are damn funny, and you guys seem so down to earth. I mean, nothing wrong with taking your job seriously, because it is serious business, but does your whole life have to be that way as well?

So many people on here take themselves sooo damn seriously. Come on, Like, "OH, my Gosh, I make a spelling error or ERAS, do you think my application is doomed", and "Can I get in somewhere with a 230", and I love, "I was soo dissapointed in myself because I only got a 246 on my STEP II".

Some of these people are amazing. Damn OCDers. Med students!!!! I know I'm one of them, but sometimes many of their personalities amaze me.

Yeah, I'm taking your sarcasm to say that I have a good shot at many places? I'm sorry, people just tell me that since I'm pretty much average in every other aspect of my schooling that I don't have that great of a shot at good places. But thanks for the helpful replies...this site is awesome.

Yeah, I'm taking your sarcasm to say that I have a good shot at many places? I'm sorry, people just tell me that since I'm pretty much average in every other aspect of my schooling that I don't have that great of a shot at good places. But thanks for the helpful replies...this site is awesome.

Whats wrong with average?

I don't think there is anything wrong with average but apparently with everyone saying anesthesiology is getting more competitive I'm saying that I don't really have that great of a chance of getting in somewhere good. But here's to luck.

Hey man, I wouldn't take it personally. I think some of these guys just get frustrated when people keep asking the same questions over and over again. You can scroll through old posts, and there are a lot of old posts like yours out there. Also, check the FAQs. There is a lot of good info there. It just takes a little extra time to sort through that stuff. Also, there are so many programs out there I think it is hard for anyone to say well with that score you can get into x, y, z school but not these others . . . From looking at old posts, and what people have said with your step 1 score, a lot of places will give you an interview regardless of your grades. That 230 alone will get your foot in the door almost anywhere but just like any specialty it will probably be tougher to get into a "top tier" program if those even really exist :rolleyes:(anyone please correct me if anything I am saying is off I am after all just a fourth year med student). I would just look for a good solid program in a region you want to live. And try to decide whether you want an academic vs private setting and whether a fellowship might be a possibility. Gas is competitive but anything over a 220 step 1 should get you an interview at most places i.e. it is nothing like Derm or plastics. If you need any help looking through old stuff PM me. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the help, you were really awesome!

Does anyone know how bad it is to apply without your CS score yet? It says it is going to take 2 weeks - 3 months to get the CS score back. I have read that most programs will accept the applications without the score but how bad does that look when you apply without the score right away?

YES, 10 YEAR OLD NECROBUMP!

I wonder what the OP is doing right now? And also, LOL @chocomorsel as a med student!

Nobody cares about CS. If you can speak English and aren't a creepster, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
One thing I would add is that unless you are an international grad (with exceptions) average is all that's needed for anesthesiology for most places. Now if you want the "upper echelon" then it might be a different story. But if you have no red flags, got at least a 220, passed all of your courses/rotations, and are a normal and professional human being on interviews you'll match somewhere.

Oh god, I didn't even realize this was a necrobump

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how bad it is to apply without your CS score yet? It says it is going to take 2 weeks - 3 months to get the CS score back. I have read that most programs will accept the applications without the score but how bad does that look when you apply without the score right away?

YES, 10 YEAR OLD NECROBUMP!

I wonder what the OP is doing right now? And also, LOL @chocomorsel as a med student!

Nobody cares about CS. If you can speak English and aren't a creepster, you'll be fine.

I woudl say majority of programs interview you without a CS score. (most interviewed me at least). However they pretty much all want the CS score before ranking you.
CS actually is becoming more and more important these days. They asked me multiple times about my step 2 CS on my interview trail. It's getting harder and harder to pass CS so they realy want to make sure you passed. Before it was just , oh you can speak english, you pass. Now you actually have to do it semi decently in addition to speaking english. In my group of 10 or so, everyone spoke perfect english (small sample size haha)