Anesthesiology Board Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bm84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am a practicing board certified anesthesiologist just out of fellowship in the States. I am planning to take the Canadian boards to allow for some career location flexibility as I have a significant other in Canada. After reading the Royal College's website and reviewing the 2 sample multiple choice questions and 2 short answer questions, I realize that I do not really have a sense of how to study for this exam. I have also not been able to find any review materials specific to the Canadian Boards.
Does anybody have suggestions for review/study materials? Is anybody looking for a study buddy or willing to pass along some study materials? I passed the US boards with high marks and feel I could be a helpful study partner. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In general, it's hard to prepare for the Canadian royal college exam as a non-Canadian grad. As you have rightfully noticed, there are not much products available commercially for these royal college specialty exams (unlike the US where commercially available specialty board exam prep material are readily available). Canadian grads typically form study groups on their own (much easier during residency) and basically study off the notes and exams passed down from previous grads/ previous years. Especially when it comes down to previous exams, it can be a rather opaque process, where you need to know the right people who can help you obtain that resource. What I would suggest is to contact the province where you hope to work in, get in contact with a recruiter and basically ask for help for preparing for this exam. Otherwise, somehow finding Canadians in anesthesiology programs who are willing to form study groups with you, or share previous notes/exams would be ideal (but of course, there's no guarantee this will happen and is in itself a fairly difficult process).

In general, it's hard to prepare for the Canadian royal college exam as a non-Canadian grad. As you have rightfully noticed, there are not much products available commercially for these royal college specialty exams (unlike the US where commercially available specialty board exam prep material are readily available). Canadian grads typically form study groups on their own (much easier during residency) and basically study off the notes and exams passed down from previous grads/ previous years. Especially when it comes down to previous exams, it can be a rather opaque process, where you need to know the right people who can help you obtain that resource. What I would suggest is to contact the province where you hope to work in, get in contact with a recruiter and basically ask for help for preparing for this exam. Otherwise, somehow finding Canadians in anesthesiology programs who are willing to form study groups with you, or share previous notes/exams would be ideal (but of course, there's no guarantee this will happen and is in itself a fairly difficult process).

Thank you for your advice! I certainly appreciate it. Unfortunately as you say it is quite difficult to find Canadians in anesthesiology programs. I am hoping perhaps I can find somebody willing to help via this forum. I would be willing to reimburse for time and trouble. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice! I certainly appreciate it. Unfortunately as you say it is quite difficult to find Canadians in anesthesiology programs. I am hoping perhaps I can find somebody willing to help via this forum. I would be willing to reimburse for time and trouble. Thanks again!

Hi, would you be kind enough to share your experience on how you got on with the Canadian board exams?