Anesthesia and failed Step 2

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed step 2 twice. The first time I took it, I felt really anxious and couldn't sit still. The second time I took it, I was really sleepy and couldn't answer a large number of the questions.

I really want to do anesthesia. I love it. But the problem is what to do for someone in my situation. I've made an appointment with a pretty big psychiatrist in the area and am looking to get off medications. The psychiatrist that I'm seeing is not really that great (?) and not helpful. I'm on 3 medications right now and I feel like I don't need any of them. In fact, I'm so drugged up I feel apathetic about everything. I honestly think this is why I failed my exam. I just have stopped feeling like myself on all of these medications.

I don't know how to approach the situation I am in. I feel fortunate to have realized that there's a high chance that I've never been depressed, just overwhelmed with things and taking medications I don't need.

On the other hand, I've wasted lots and lots of time because of the side effects of these medications (like how they are so incredibly sedating). I don't know how to handle the fact that I've failed this exam twice. I tend to be a great student and I'm worried that even if I were to pull a 270+ on my third attempt at step 2, if it would even solve anything? At this point, I would have to look into reapplying into anesthesia, but how the hell can I even explain myself if things go okay on the next step exam: "Hello committee.. I failed Step 2 twice because I was dealing with the effects of medications I did not need to be on and now I'm not on them anymore."

Please help! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if it's easier.

This is a tough situation.

The honest truth is that anesthesia is a relatively competitive field. With two CK failures, you're going to find it a very uphill battle to get a spot. This assumes that you're a US grad without other problems / issues. If there are other problems, you'll find it more difficult.

Certainly doing really well on your CK retake would help, regardless of what field you apply to. It's clearly better than doing poorly. I agree with you that programs may not be excited about your explanation that "the drugs were the problem", especially in a field where drug use / abuse is a big problem. (Not suggesting that you are abusing anything).

Bottom line is that you need to get your health under control. Perhaps that's off meds, perhaps that's on different meds. Once under control, you retake CK and do as well as you can on it. Then you need to have an honest assessment from a mentor on what you have a realistic chance at. If you're determined for anesthesia, you'll need to apply very broadly, and also be applying to another backup specialty because you'll risk getting no interviews.

Last, assuming you're a US student, you risk getting booted from med school if you don't pass CK on your next try. That would be the end.

Members don't see this ad.

For someone in your position, I wouldn't be worried about what specialty I'm going into. I would be worried about my state of health first and then PASSING this exam, or doing as well as I can. After that, I think you can sit and worry about explanations. I would probably sit and talk to a mentor about the situation you're in at that time. If you do kill Step 2 CK this time (and most definitely you need to pass it), then I would open that door. In your position, just take things one at a time. It's unfortunate, but that's all you can do now.