Anatomy Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoosier7

KSUCPM Class of 2021
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! What is everyone's favorite anatomy book/atlas? What are some other must have books for 1st years?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody! What is everyone's favorite anatomy book/atlas? What are some other must have books for 1st years?

Rohen's atlas is a good one to have, since they have real cadaver pictures and can help you with the anatomy practicals. For diagram purposes, I used Thieme. I heard Netters and Grays are good as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Rohen, Netter, and Sarrafian are the top three in my book.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For lecture type of material: Netter is good for general anatomy, but not ankle and foot. Sarrafian is good for ankle and foot.

Getting one of those atlases with pictures of dissected cadavers is great for the anatomy lab.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Getting one of those atlases with pictures of dissected cadavers is great for the anatomy lab.

This. I remember looking at Netter's perfectly shapely body and color coded drawings with labeled arrows and perfectly contrasted lines of demarcation-and then trying to find them on my crusty decrepid cadaver. Just looking back and forth going 'nope'. My classmate has a cadaver atlas and it was way more useful.

You should check with your upperclassman which books where primarily used during anatomy class.

I remember Netter was good for gross. It also had some very useful depictions of muscle origins and insertions. But whichever you buy, get a gently-used old edition on the cheap and then resell it before you go on externships.

Sarraffian is an excellent text to have for the long haul. As a graduating PGY-3, I still refer to it.

Hi everyone, I wanted to know if Netters covers everything students must know for ms1? Thanks in advance

Hi everyone, I wanted to know if Netters covers everything students must know for ms1? Thanks in advance
Netter is good for general anatomy but does not touch on lower extremity anatomy to the level that you will need to know it. Netter probably had fewer than half of the lower extremity structures we needed to know.

Most likely your school will provide you with lower extremity anatomy resources suited to your school's curriculum.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile