American citizen considering medical school in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an American citizen and I was thinking of applying to medical school in Newfoundland memorial university. I've not taken all the science requirements but I'm taking the mcat soon and so far in scoring 501 in the practice tests. How hard is it to get into this school and other schools across Canada? Is there a chance for me?

Members don't see this ad.

MUN has 5 spots for international students and non-Maritime/Yukon Canadians. They typically get 350 applicants for these spots. If you think you are in the top 1.4% of Canadian and American applicants then you have a chance. With a 501 that doesn't seem likely.

MUN has 5 spots for international students and non-Maritime/Yukon Canadians. They typically get 350 applicants for these spots. If you think you are in the top 1.4% of Canadian and American applicants then you have a chance. With a 501 that doesn't seem likely.
What would seem likely??

Members don't see this ad :)
What would seem likely??
Enough to impress compared hundreds of other applicants. Higher than a 501, that's for sure.

GPA matters just as much. I believe about a 3.9 was the minimum for MUN if not from NL previously.

Enough to impress compared hundreds of other applicants. Higher than a 501, that's for sure.

GPA matters just as much. I believe about a 3.9 was the minimum for MUN if not from NL previously.
501 is pretty good.its actually very high

501 is pretty good.its actually very high
No...it's actually very low.

If it makes you feel good to think otherwise, go ahead. But being unrealistic about your standing relative to other applicants won't help you

Okay what is considered above average? What should one aim for?

From some brief research (of schools that use the MCAT and publish stats):
UBC: Average MCAT of accepted students 2016: 515.07
Calgary: 507.86
Saskatchewan: median was 98.5 percentile for out of province applicants [>520]
Manitoba: avg 523 for out of province
Mcmaster: avg CARS 129.1
Dalhousie: 509

Please note that most schools give preference to their own province's students so their averages will be lower. For someone applying from out of province, note the average scores for students explicitly from out of province above (520+).

More importantly, the GPA cutoff has been 3.9 in previous years for non-NFLD applicants

Chances are slim.
Also, there's no point doing this to be honest. You can't apply to Canadian residencies without being a Canadian citizen or PR. Stick to US where you can still get into DO schools with a 501 MCAT.
Yeah I know what you mean.
I'm gonna aim for MD
Nothing is wrong with DO, it's just that it isn't accepted by some nations outside USA. I rather try harder and aim for an MD. For those who took the MCAT. What's the best way to keep all the info in my head?