Am I ready for outpatient IM? Worried/scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sangria1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently am at a small DO community hospital as a IM resident which is primarily resident driven.

Just how different is IM training at a small community hospital vs academic center that would affect my ability to succeed in outpatient IM? Are the patients in IM potentially so complex that I may struggle to provide adequate care?

Can anyone guide me towards texts materials that can prepare me well particularly towards challenging complex cases I would encounter and how to read about them and prepare?
How about patients needing care in nursing home and the uniques issues I may need to handle?

In the inpatient setting I've taken care of, on my own or with minimal supervision, DKA, afib rvr new onset or ongoing, chf, MI, COPD exacerbation, PE, myasthenia gravis requiring intubation, central lines, tubes etc etc bread and butter issues that IM sees daily inpatient.

How challenging is outpatient medicine and how difficult will it be for me?

I'm having a moment of insecurity and am wondering how prepared I am

I currently read MKSAP, Harrisons as needed, Wash manual for medicine and Wash for outpatient,

I've done well on my rotations as well.

Members don't see this ad.

You are PGY 1/2/3? Do you not have continuity clinic or some sort of resident clinic regularly? The great thing about clinic is you can always have the patient back in 2-4 weeks to check up on stuff.

Are you anxious due to little exposure? It's always helpful to look up the chief complaint before heading into the room if you are unsure about the management. I recommend MGH outpatient pocket medicine. Obviously UpToDate is the ****.