Am I competitive enough?

sammyboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A fire drill during an exam (for which you have to pay more than two hundred dollars)? I think a complaint certainly is justified. In the mean time, if you get an interview, at least if the O.A.T. comes up, mention what happened (on the other hand, you didn't knock everything else out of the park, so such an explanation might seem like petty excuse-making... — use your judgement, in the moment, I suppose).

I just took the OAT exam today for the second time. I am a very slow test taker. I was unable to finish the reading comp and mathematics sections.

Will I get in?

GPA: 3.75

OAT:

Biology 310
Gen Chem 310
Organic 320
Physics 270
Math 290
Reading comp 240...I am sending in a complaint because during the middle of this section there was a fire drill TEST!!!! We all evacuated the building and 15 minutes later I resumed my test having to then re-read the article...wow :confused:

I have 40 some hours of shadowing experience. I have applied to SCO, NOVA, ICO, Salus, and Ferris State.

Will I get an interview somewhere?!?! I hope :)

I don't want to be mean, but those are pretty poor scores. It scaled out of 400 still right?

You'll have to retake the exam if you want to be competetive; the fire drill episode really sucks, but even without that poor RC score the rest of the test didn't go well for you either. So honestly, I agree with Commando303 that it may not even be in your best interest to bring that up, as it doesn't even explain the rest of the scores. You really need to increase your test taking speed somehow; just practice as much as you can. Your gpa is solid though, so as long as that is indicative of your knowledge base, you should definitely be able to perform much better on the next try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the prompt responses. I appreciate the advice. I will keep you updated whether or not I am asked for an interview. Also, I was wondering if I would re-take the OAT exam I could just re-take portions of it. Such as physics and reading comp (only those two sections). I would take 200s in the others just by skipping over them. Is this a possibility? The reason is, I just finished the live online Kaplan program and am now into my semester. All of you know that it takes months of preparation in order to be truely "ready" for this exam. Wish I could take it tomorrow (lol) but the waiting period doesn't permit this. Also, do schools look at your highest scores from each exam? Would they take my last reading comp into consideration?

Thanks in advance.

While it is true that some schools look at the higher score for each section, what you are suggesting in taking 200s for the other sections is a terrible idea. Do not even consider it. Realize also that one reason the OAT is a challenge is that there is so much you have to be able to do at the same time. Honestly, optometry is like that too. You need to be able to handle lots of different things simultaneously, or you'd never be able to succeed as an optometrist or in optometry school. Just try your hardest on your next attempt, and have confidence in your abilities, and I'd bet you could do well.
Good luck!

Thanks Arctic. I won't skip any sections lol. I appreciate all of the advice. I'll keep ya updated. Take care.