Am I competitive enough for my reach schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMW18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am studying Communication Disorders and going to be a senior. Right now I have a 3.40 GPA, this summer if I take 2 classes and make As, by the time I apply I will have a 3.50 GPA. I hear and read a lot of things that make me think I NEED a 3.5+ to even get into the schools I want (UT, UT Dallas, Boulder, Arizona State Uni. are some of my more reaching schools). I will take my GRE this summer, I am confident I can make a 300 or above. My resume is ok, I have some experience shadowing Audiologists and I have decent involvement, my rec letters from my teachers should be glowing (fingers crossed). I do have some "less competitive" schools on my list but I have my sights set on the ones above. I just don't know what to do or whats the most important, I want to be the most competitive I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I am a first year student at a "top-ranked" AuD program, so I can't speak to competitiveness of your particular info from an admissions standpoint, but I certainly have some advice. Don't be afraid to ask questions! Ask your programs of interest if certain parts of your application will be weighed more heavily than others- it seems awkward but I had two schools lay out their exact point/percentage breakdown without me even asking a direct question. I found that GRE and GPA were 80% of the application decision for one school, but at another, that majority of the consideration was contained in GRE/GPA/letters of rec.