MD Am I aiming too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lurker525

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Although your list is incredibly top heavy, you should get interviews from that list. State schools don't yield-protect against in-state applicants. I'd add some SUNYs.

Yes, your list is top heavy but you should receive some interviews. I suggest applying to all 4 SUNY's as "safeties". You could also add Einstein and Hofstra.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a NY resident, 3.96 cGPA/3.95 sGPA, Hispanic Lit major, 518 MCAT (130/129/127/132). ORM but fluent in Spanish

I'll be taking 2 gap years, first gap year spent in full-time service internship with a nonprofit abroad, 2nd gap year undecided. Ivy league undergrad. Interested in gynecology/abortion care

Research: about 400 hours, no publications, not a strength, but I've worked in 2 labs, did enough to know i didn't want to continue
Clinical Volunteering: 400 hours
Shadowing: 200 hours+
Nonclinical: 1600+ (definitely the strength of my app, along with clinical, clear motivation for medicine and commitement to underserved communities; details withheld due to anonymity)
Leadership: multiple positions on campus
Various campus jobs held, worked extensively during undergrad to help cover expenses

Here's where I've completed secondaries:

Harvard
Yale
UCSF
UCLA
Stanford
UPenn
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Brown
Duke
Cornell
NYU
University of Rochester
Pritzker
Johns Hopkins
Emory
UMichigan
Columbia
University of Pittsburgh

Is my list too top-heavy? Should I add more schools? I was told by my pre-health advisor that if I apply to the in state schools I may be rejected due to yield protection since they'll assume I won't go there. Thank you :)

You're a rock star and are NOT aiming too high. Your adviser is a *****. The SUNYs will kill for you. But Albany and NYMC you can skip.

Top balance out your list, add:
Hofstra
Mayo
Duke
Dartmouth
BU
Einstein
the SUNYs
Keck
U VM

Instead of Brown, suggest WashU, U VA or Sinai

You're a rock star and are NOT aiming too high. Your adviser is a *****. The SUNYs will kill for you. But Albany and NYMC you can skip.

Top balance out your list, add:
Hofstra
Mayo
Duke
Dartmouth
BU
Einstein
the SUNYs
Keck
U VM

Instead of Brown, suggest WashU, U VA or Sinai
Aww thank you! I will definitely consider adding some of those, although I can't do all of them for financial concerns

I'm a NY resident, 3.96 cGPA/3.95 sGPA, Hispanic Lit major, 518 MCAT (130/129/127/132). ORM but fluent in Spanish

I'll be taking 2 gap years, first gap year spent in full-time service internship with a nonprofit abroad, 2nd gap year undecided. Ivy league undergrad. Interested in gynecology/abortion care

Research: about 400 hours, no publications, not a strength, but I've worked in 2 labs, did enough to know i didn't want to continue
Clinical Volunteering: 400 hours
Shadowing: 200 hours+
Nonclinical: 1600+ (definitely the strength of my app, along with clinical, clear motivation for medicine and commitement to underserved communities; details withheld due to anonymity)
Leadership: multiple positions on campus
Various campus jobs held, worked extensively during undergrad to help cover expenses

Here's where I've completed secondaries:

Harvard
Yale
UCSF
UCLA
Stanford
UPenn
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Brown
Duke
Cornell
NYU
University of Rochester
Pritzker
Johns Hopkins
Emory
UMichigan
Columbia
University of Pittsburgh

Is my list too top-heavy? Should I add more schools? I was told by my pre-health advisor that if I apply to the in state schools I may be rejected due to yield protection since they'll assume I won't go there. Thank you :)

What full-time internship are you doing abroad?