Alpha Omega Alpha and Phi Kappa Phi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wdeaglemd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to having both of these, or is it irrelevant to buy PKP? Also is there any reason to keep paying for AOA after graduation/finished applying to fellowships or whatever? The annual fee doesn't seem to include any benefits.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any benefit to having both of these, or is it irrelevant to buy PKP? Also is there any reason to keep paying for AOA after graduation/finished applying to fellowships or whatever? The annual fee doesn't seem to include any benefits.

A lot of people let their AOA dues lapse after graduation from med school. I pay mine, but see little personal benefit in it. I think the reason to do it is to give back to an organization that helped you in the past.

I don't know anything about PKP. AOA likely holds more weight, not sure if it's necessary to be in both, but it honestly depends on your cash flow and the price of membership, because it certainly won't hurt to be a member.

A lot of people let their AOA dues lapse after graduation from med school. I pay mine, but see little personal benefit in it. I think the reason to do it is to give back to an organization that helped you in the past.

I don't know anything about PKP. AOA likely holds more weight, not sure if it's necessary to be in both, but it honestly depends on your cash flow and the price of membership, because it certainly won't hurt to be a member.
I paid lifetime membership for AOA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I paid lifetime membership for AOA

Nice foresight!

Is PKP something that is more prevalent on the East Coast? I don't remember having it as an option when I was a student, and I don't see it much among current applicants.

Nice foresight!

Is PKP something that is more prevalent on the East Coast? I don't remember having it as an option when I was a student, and I don't see it much among current applicants.
I thought it was an undergrad thing. Wasn't something from my med school

I thought it was an undergrad thing. Wasn't something from my med school

You're probably thinking of Phi Beta Kappa, I've never heard of PKP...

Honestly outside of academics I'm not sure anyone really cares (or really knows what it is), at all. That being said, physicians will know at LEAST what AOA and PBK mean so if you are fortunate enough to have it reserve a permanent place on your CV for it.

I enjoy the PBK quarterly I get, some interesting articles there so I pay for my membership there. But I haven't given a dime to AOA since med school graduation. Don't think it's made a difference either way, and I can still count it.