Alliant PsyD -> MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maciver94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently been contacted by Alliant for an interview for their PsyD program. My stance on the institution and crippling debt has changed since I first began my application last fall (I have many of you to thank). I am very aware of the school's reputation and the forum's consensus on the matter.

What I am trying to figure out is if you all think it would be feasible to enroll in the PsyD program and take courses up until I achieve my MA in clinical psychology before terminating? I work in an administrative position at an outpatient clinic. Many of the clinicians I work with went to Alliant. One of them suggested I attend classes and go about my coursework for a year before informing the institution of my plans. I understand this change in direction might vary from school to school. And would anyone happen to know what the average loan amount is for the MA? I know the PsyD can amount to north of 150k. Is it as easy as cutting that sum in half or should I try to figure out the cost per unit x # of units for MA?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I have recently been contacted by Alliant for an interview for their PsyD program. My stance on the institution and crippling debt has changed since I first began my application last fall (I have many of you to thank). I am very aware of the school's reputation and the forum's consensus on the matter.

What I am trying to figure out is if you all think it would be feasible to enroll in the PsyD program and take courses up until I achieve my MA in clinical psychology before terminating? I work in an administrative position at an outpatient clinic. Many of the clinicians I work with went to Alliant. One of them suggested I attend classes and go about my coursework for a year before informing the institution of my plans. I understand this change in direction might vary from school to school. And would anyone happen to know what the average loan amount is for the MA? I know the PsyD can amount to north of 150k. Is it as easy as cutting that sum in half or should I try to figure out the cost per unit x # of units for MA?

Thanks in advance.
Not all programs that have MAs as non terminal degrees design them to make people who leave with the MA eligible to be licensed. E.g. You may be able to get the MA before you finish taking all your courses, some of which may be required to be licsensed at the masters level. You'd need to check the state boards for psych and professional counseling in the state or states you plan/want/hope to live in before you consider that as a possible option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great point McParent , thank you. I'm going to look into that.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

I'm quite sorry to say this, but I think that a degree, any degree, from this institution will stigmatize you and impair your chances of a successful career.