All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wondering if any domestic pets or non-domestic animals might display positive/neutral/negative reaction to the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017 - in particular for those who are in the path of significant-or-total darkness?

When an earthquake occurs in my area (even a very mild tremor), my cat immediately runs away and hides under a bed. Then, she refuses to emerge from under the bed for hours. She reacts the same way if there is a thunderstorm.

Members don't see this ad.

Those of you that show animals: I ran into the evil snotty side of the show world yesterday.

I am trying to sell off a bunch of my goats. I entered my goats in their first show ever in the local county fair (no points for my goats, it means next to nothing, other than giving me a practice run and getting my name out there). But I did get Champion and Reserve.

Almost all of my goats are perfect show goats and one side of my herd are SUPER milkers. Both sides have multiple top ten milkers for the breed multiple champion pedigrees. I lucked into (slash worked hard to get) the buck and some young does and am so proud of my herd and if things were going ok, I would be showing them more and going on milk test and all the other things you do to earn top honors in the goat world. But nothing is ok right now.

I do have one double teated doeling, but I have not been willing to sell her to anybody but a meat or pet home as an unregistered goat. Her mom will go the same way, even though she is registered and very pretty, because she has a bleb that might have been the breeder cutting off a spur teat before I bought her (unseen until bred and kidding). I am not willing to pass it on even if it means they go to the butcher.

Apparently I intimidated somebody, or they are just really petty, because I had the rumor spread that all my goats are double teated and nobody should buy them. Supposedly, the person who spread this says that they came to my farm and saw my goats. The only person who has come to my farm bought a buckling and was considering bringing him back when she heard, but I had shown her several goats' udders and she could not remember any odd ones beside the one I showed her. (I am probably too honest of a sales person). She is the one who told me.

She says that she was told by the lady with the biggest national herd around here, who was also the fair judge. (Meaning she judged my goats as the best at the fair and told me they were some of the best she has ever seen.) Supposedly, that judge heard from the mysterious lady who "visited my farm and inspected every goat and found every one was double teated." Both of these ladies are big names in the dairy goat world, so if they black list me, nobody will buy.

When the judge was corrected via the lady who bought the buckling, she said she would check with the woman who told her, because she wouldn't want to wrongly accuse me.

If she didn't want to wrongly accuse me, you'd think she would ask me? Or remember that she had judged my goats and seen udders? Or, bring me into it at any point before warning people not to buy my goats?

I've heard these stories at the national show level, but never from someone who had barely stepped a foot in the door.

Those of you that show animals: I ran into the evil snotty side of the show world yesterday.

I am trying to sell off a bunch of my goats. I entered my goats in their first show ever in the local county fair (no points for my goats, it means next to nothing, other than giving me a practice run and getting my name out there). But I did get Champion and Reserve.

Almost all of my goats are perfect show goats and one side of my herd are SUPER milkers. Both sides have multiple top ten milkers for the breed multiple champion pedigrees. I lucked into (slash worked hard to get) the buck and some young does and am so proud of my herd and if things were going ok, I would be showing them more and going on milk test and all the other things you do to earn top honors in the goat world. But nothing is ok right now.

I do have one double teated doeling, but I have not been willing to sell her to anybody but a meat or pet home as an unregistered goat. Her mom will go the same way, even though she is registered and very pretty, because she has a bleb that might have been the breeder cutting off a spur teat before I bought her (unseen until bred and kidding). I am not willing to pass it on even if it means they go to the butcher.

Apparently I intimidated somebody, or they are just really petty, because I had the rumor spread that all my goats are double teated and nobody should buy them. Supposedly, the person who spread this says that they came to my farm and saw my goats. The only person who has come to my farm bought a buckling and was considering bringing him back when she heard, but I had shown her several goats' udders and she could not remember any odd ones beside the one I showed her. (I am probably too honest of a sales person). She is the one who told me.

She says that she was told by the lady with the biggest national herd around here, who was also the fair judge. (Meaning she judged my goats as the best at the fair and told me they were some of the best she has ever seen.) Supposedly, that judge heard from the mysterious lady who "visited my farm and inspected every goat and found every one was double teated." Both of these ladies are big names in the dairy goat world, so if they black list me, nobody will buy.

When the judge was corrected via the lady who bought the buckling, she said she would check with the woman who told her, because she wouldn't want to wrongly accuse me.

If she didn't want to wrongly accuse me, you'd think she would ask me? Or remember that she had judged my goats and seen udders? Or, bring me into it at any point before warning people not to buy my goats?

I've heard these stories at the national show level, but never from someone who had barely stepped a foot in the door.
I'm sorry LOTF :(
people are losers and are just jealous of your goats

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry LOTF :(
people are losers and are just jealous of your goats
Well, now I need to decide how far to wade into this.

Do I just update ads with pics of all my goats' udders? (I've done my farm page so far)

Do I post a statement on my farm page with pics of all the udders?

Do I address it randomly on goat sale pages and hope it outs this mystery woman?

Do I contact the judge and let her know I was told she is spreading rumors?

I hate this drama crap. I would ignore it if I could. But we are running out of money and while I keep getting interviews, I also get told to wait month after month, so I really need to start selling the herd.

This is why I dislike the show world sometimes... especially when people all run in the same small circles...Been there in the midst of it all before. So sorry you have to go through this. It seems like the moment you do well you automatically have a target on your back just for winning even if you didn't try. When you post goats for sell I would just make sure to take a nice profile view and rear view in which the udder is clearly visible of each goat and post them on your sell page. I would also speak to said person and address the issue, but in a non-accusing manor and just state what all you had heard and if true you would appreciate that she quit spreading lies. She will probably be defensive and deny the whole time, but I find it important to confront those people because they are just being petty because you have better animals than her that she probably worked really hard to get. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
This is why I dislike the show world sometimes... especially when people all run in the same small circles...Been there in the midst of it all before. So sorry you have to go through this. It seems like the moment you do well you automatically have a target on your back just for winning even if you didn't try. When you post goats for sell I would just make sure to take a nice profile view and rear view in which the udder is clearly visible of each goat and post them on your sell page. I would also speak to said person and address the issue, but in a non-accusing manor and just state what all you had heard and if true you would appreciate that she quit spreading lies. She will probably be defensive and deny the whole time, but I find it important to confront those people because they are just being petty because you have better animals than her that she probably worked really hard to get. Good luck!
Since most of my goats are babies, I have had to take close up crotch shots to show teats. It's a bit ridiculous and not a typical sales photo. That's why I am debating putting a statement up saying "This is what I was accused of. Here is all my proof, plus you are welcome to come look for yourself." Plus something about "maybe consider the motives of somebody spreading this rumor and swearing that they have seen my herd without actually coming to see me. The only person to visit my herd bought a buckling..."

Since most of my goats are babies, I have had to take close up crotch shots to show teats. It's a bit ridiculous and not a typical sales photo. That's why I am debating putting a statement up saying "This is what I was accused of. Here is all my proof, plus you are welcome to come look for yourself." Plus something about "maybe consider the motives of somebody spreading this rumor and swearing that they have seen my herd without actually coming to see me. The only person to visit my herd bought a buckling..."
Ah babies. I bet they are so adorable. Sorry, I love babies :) I think maybe a disclaimer statement would be warranted then because that is a bit excessive to take up close shots of them all. Then post a few pics. Maybe address it as the rumors you have heard and then state your goals as a breeder for this heard such as to produce superior genetics to improve milking quality while maintaining set breed conformation standards? Then have a statement of values of which you mention truth and honesty. I just don't understand why they would bother with that rumor especially buying a buckling...

Reactions: 1 user
I just don't understand why they would bother with that rumor especially buying a buckling...
It was the lady who bought the buckling started showing him off and the judge told her to take him back and get a refund because of the story she heard from someone she trusts.

Since I had been so up front with the buyer about everything, she gave me a chance to explain and then told me what had happened.

She has lived here a while and told me that they are telling everybody not to buy from me and may have tanked my business before it started. She was torn because if they destroy my herd name, then my buckling could bring down her herd too, all because of somebody's jealous rumor.

(But he is gorgeous and so are the girls and I sent her photos of all the kids' udders, so she is keeping him and says she will try to fight to correct the record as well.)

It was the lady who bought the buckling started showing him off and the judge told her to take him back and get a refund because of the story she heard from someone she trusts.

Since I had been so up front with the buyer about everything, she gave me a chance to explain and then told me what had happened.

She has lived here a while and told me that they are telling everybody not to buy from me and may have tanked my business before it started. She was torn because if they destroy my herd name, then my buckling could bring down her herd too, all because of somebody's jealous rumor.

(But he is gorgeous and so are the girls and I sent her photos of all the kids' udders, so she is keeping him and says she will try to fight to correct the record as well.)
So glad to hear she's on your side now! Hopefully this will all resolve soon for the better!

So glad to hear she's on your side now! Hopefully this will all resolve soon for the better!
I thought she was saying a different person than the one who bought a buckling from her was the one spreading the rumors? and the person who bought the buckling is the only one who has actually seen all of her animals on her farm and not anyone who was spreading rumors

My dog had an adrenalectomy last week. I was really nervous because the procedure has like a 20% mortality rate, but he did great. Surpassed all my expectations, even. He was eating the morning after surgery, came home 48 hours after, and seemed completely back to his normal self by day 4 post-op with no complications. They got the adrenal tumor out pretty easily (no vena cava invasion), took some GI biopsies, and also took a wedge biopsy of a nodule they found in his pancreas. We found a pancreatic lesion the radiologist thought was a cyst 18 months ago when we first diagnosed presumptive IBD and found the adrenal mass, and it is still unclear to me whether this nodule in the pancreas at surgery was that original lesion that's been there a while or something new (surgeon hasn't returned my call or email yet). The surgeon didn't think she could take the whole mass without taking half of his pancreas and she didn't want to do that under the same anesthesia as the adrenalectomy, especially since we thought this lesion might be long-standing.

Anyway, the adrenal mass came back on histopath as benign! A cortical adenoma. His intestinal biopsies were consistent with mild IBD. The pancreas nodule, though, was read out as an islet cell adenoma. Which is apparently quite rare in dogs, since most islet/beta cell pancreatic tumors are malignant in dogs. I got an unofficial second opinion at the school, and the second pathologist said he would have read it out as a malignant insulinoma. He sent photos to a friend and the friend agreed he would have called it malignant too. So now what? This dog has never had any episodes of hypoglycemia, and no liver nodules or enlarged lymph nodes were noted at surgery. Our usual internist is out of town for three weeks because of a family emergency, and I haven't heard from his fill-in internist or the surgeon yet. We have an appointment next week for staple removal and an ACTH stimulation to check function of his remaining adrenal. I'm not sure what I'm going to do...seems like (without yet talking to his specialty team) that my options are to go ahead and schedule another ex lap + partial pancreatectomy now while this thing might be benign or caught early if becoming malignant, or just continue to monitor with ultrasound and occasional home glucose checks and wait to see if/when it causes problems at the risk that it could met. Just when I think we're at the smooth sailing part of recovery, I've got more decisions to make and things to worry about. But he's my soul dog and I'll do whatever he needs, even though this first surgery just about tapped out my savings. I am just thrilled he's done so well thus far, though.

Obligatory post-surgery recovery photo (mostly for @cdoconn):
IMG_8468.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I thought she was saying a different person than the one who bought a buckling from her was the one spreading the rumors? and the person who bought the buckling is the only one who has actually seen all of her animals on her farm and not anyone who was spreading rumors
Yes, this
Obligatory post-surgery recovery photo (mostly for @cdoconn)
Oi! I love Winston too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Obligatory post-surgery recovery photo (mostly for @cdoconn):
View attachment 222694
Omg he's adorable. Drugged up Winston make me smile. He's adorable. I'm sorry to hear about the decision that you have to make. I hope it goes well for both of you!!! :biglove:

Ps I appreciate the personal tag. I got suuuper excited when I saw that photo. Glad surgery went well!

Edit: one day I'm going to meet Winston and I might sob the entire time.

Wondering if any domestic pets or non-domestic animals might display positive/neutral/negative reaction to the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017 - in particular for those who are in the path of significant-or-total darkness?

When an earthquake occurs in my area (even a very mild tremor), my cat immediately runs away and hides under a bed. Then, she refuses to emerge from under the bed for hours. She reacts the same way if there is a thunderstorm.

You're not the only one wondering:
Will The Eclipse Make Crops And Animals Flip Out? Scientists Ask (Really)

:)

Dora.jpg
These are the clinic cats. They were orphaned and we ended up keeping them :whistle:
This is Dora! She's the best cat I have ever met. She has such personality it's ridiculous! That's Swiper in the back he's a tripod kitty. (BTW taking a picture of these two is no easy feat!)

Reactions: 4 users
Well, my dog is going to have to go back to being crated.

For the past two weeks he's been pulling things out of the recycling bin and shredding them (all paper or cardboard products). I've been trying to keep things out of reach from him but today he chewed up my wireless/bluetooth whatever charger for my phone and I'm just done. I feel bad for him to be crated because of my hours and I guess I'll look into a midday dog walker to see if it helps but I have a hard time trusting people with him as he has leash reactivity that I don't want reenforced. I just don't understand why this an issue all of a sudden when he's only done this intermittently in the past.

I also can't give him hard bones or anything to chew as he had 21 teeth pulled.

Trying to figure out what's going on with a neighbour's cat (yes I could just ask them, but they're the 'polite but not really that social' types). Young-ish female (maybe around 6-8 months old), has always been friendly around the neighbourhood (often drops by for a quick hello and a pat before trotting off back home again), but the last few days has suddenly set up camp in our yard and become incredibly affectionate - like chirruping, purring, rubbing on everything, rolling around on the ground in front of us, following us everytime we're outside, seeming to want pats and love non stop. I've checked her ears and she doesn't seem to have the typical desexing tattoo or ear tip that is given here, she's not doing the typical signs of a female cat in heat with the calling to male cats type vocalisation, or sticking her bum in the air type behaviour. She does look like she's gained a bit of weight recently, and her belly feels sort of 'full' (like if you put your hand under her tummy like you're about to pick her up it kinda feels like she's had a big meal and her belly is sort of taught-ish...it's hard to explain), but I doubt she's pregnant because there's no sign of her nipples or belly pinking up. It's very sweet and adorable that she's being such an absolute love bug at the moment, but it's also kind of sudden and odd at the same time. Any ideas?

IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG

Update on the dogos, Lab (Murphy) is 2 years and the German Shepherd (Zeke) is 8 months! Both doing their sit pretty command.

Reactions: 6 users
Trying to figure out what's going on with a neighbour's cat (yes I could just ask them, but they're the 'polite but not really that social' types). Young-ish female (maybe around 6-8 months old), has always been friendly around the neighbourhood (often drops by for a quick hello and a pat before trotting off back home again), but the last few days has suddenly set up camp in our yard and become incredibly affectionate - like chirruping, purring, rubbing on everything, rolling around on the ground in front of us, following us everytime we're outside, seeming to want pats and love non stop. I've checked her ears and she doesn't seem to have the typical desexing tattoo or ear tip that is given here, she's not doing the typical signs of a female cat in heat with the calling to male cats type vocalisation, or sticking her bum in the air type behaviour. She does look like she's gained a bit of weight recently, and her belly feels sort of 'full' (like if you put your hand under her tummy like you're about to pick her up it kinda feels like she's had a big meal and her belly is sort of taught-ish...it's hard to explain), but I doubt she's pregnant because there's no sign of her nipples or belly pinking up. It's very sweet and adorable that she's being such an absolute love bug at the moment, but it's also kind of sudden and odd at the same time. Any ideas?
Does the affectionate little cat return to her own home each day or evening?

Or is she remaining in your yard on a permanent basis (being fed, getting water, being petted and loved)?

She might - or might not be - pregnant. Just saying.

Does the affectionate little cat return to her own home each day or evening?

Or is she remaining in your yard on a permanent basis (being fed, getting water, being petted and loved)?

She might - or might not be - pregnant. Just saying.

She goes home of a night time, she's just chosen one particular spot in our yard to hang out, and sleep, from around 10 in the morning until she trots off home around sunset. She's out there now, she'll come up to the door and roll around for pats and loves (we don't feed her, she's well looked after by her owners), or trot around after us if we're hanging out washing, but otherwise she just seems to have picked this one spot that she spends several hours a day lounging around on and then she goes back to her own home. Her belly did look a little bigger today, but again no pinking up of the nipples or belly at all, and our neighbour's cats are all really well looked after as it is (so I'd expect her to have a well fed looking little tummy).

edited to add: It looks like's she's made herself some lovely little beds out of the leaves and lawn clippings, she's piled them all up into these nice soft little mounds and is just sleeping there quite happily. :)

Last edited:
My betta fish from AquaBid shipped today! It'll be my first time owning two bettas at once and I'm excited for that!!

I don't think I actually shared a picture of Klaus, but here he is!! (PS he's a little turd. If I have my camera out, he'll go hide in the dark corner, and he'll wait until I have the camera down to go fully fan out in the light.)

IMG_3685.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
My betta fish from AquaBid shipped today! It'll be my first time owning two bettas at once and I'm excited for that!!

I don't think I actually shared a picture of Klaus, but here he is!! (PS he's a little turd. If I have my camera out, he'll go hide in the dark corner, and he'll wait until I have the camera down to go fully fan out in the light.)

View attachment 223050

Oh, he's so pretty. :) Hubby and I have a Native Australian freshwater tank set up, with two different varieties of Rainbow fish. :)

View attachment 223050
My betta from aquabid, Yondu, just died this past Monday. :( He had spots of hemorrhage around his gills.

Update on our new BKFF (Best Kitty Friend Forever), who's decided to set up a daily camp in our backyard - I'm starting to suspect she might actually be pregnant. That belly isn't getting any smaller (it's not like obviously pregnant 'huge' or anything, but she's got a little tummy on her), her stomach definitely feels kind of hard and full, and she appears to be creating a number of little nests down by our back fence. Think it might be time to have a chat with our neighbours, and see if they're aware of any sort of situation we might need to be aware of as well.

View attachment 223050
Klaus is stunning - look at those beautiful colors!

I think it's hilarious that Klaus appears to hide when you want to photograph him.

After all, he is starring in your aquarium; guess he doesn't feel like posing for the fish paparazzi!

Klaus is stunning - look at those beautiful colors!

I think it's hilarious that Klaus appears to hide when you want to photograph him.

After all, he is starring in your aquarium; guess he doesn't feel like posing for the fish paparazzi!
I wish I could get all the colors well! But he's blue/green, red, and black! Very vibrant too, I love it! (He'll get used to the photography- it happens all the time. :laugh:)

I have a 4 foot fence that my 20lb dog can jump, so I electrified the top rail a few months ago. Just added a second strand of electric at the bottom in four "problem areas" to hopefully cut down on car/tractor/neighbordog chasing/herding/obsessive barking- we've been practicing avoidance and leave it, but it's really becoming a problem when the OCD puppy gets so worked up she redirects to my old lady dog and knocks her down. So, am I a bad person if I let her out when I KNOW she'll run to the problem corner, just so she can get zapped and learn????

Winston had his 1-month post adrenal removal recheck with his internist earlier this week and got glowing remarks. Got okayed for a dental cleaning. Met with GP who was recommended for the dental and they're getting us in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Dog is home from his dental! The surprise of the day was resorptive lesions on seven premolars, including one carnassial tooth. So now he is minus seven teeth. Unsurprisingly, it ended up being way over the original, cleaning only estimate with all those extractions and extra anesthesia time, but he's worth it. :) It's been an expensive month with his adrenalectomy and now this dental, but our pet insurance should cover almost 2/3 of today's bill, so that is a bright side. They won't cover cleanings but the extractions should get reimbursed because they were medically necessary and not a preexisting condition. And dog should be more comfortable once the extraction sites heal up a little bit too.

Reactions: 6 users
Dog is home from his dental! The surprise of the day was resorptive lesions on seven premolars, including one carnassial tooth. So now he is minus seven teeth. Unsurprisingly, it ended up being way over the original, cleaning only estimate with all those extractions and extra anesthesia time, but he's worth it. :) It's been an expensive month with his adrenalectomy and now this dental, but our pet insurance should cover almost 2/3 of today's bill, so that is a bright side. They won't cover cleanings but the extractions should get reimbursed because they were medically necessary and not a preexisting condition. And dog should be more comfortable once the extraction sites heal up a little bit too.
Very happy for your dog - that's great news! :)

Picked up a new betta at the local fish place today. His yellow isn't quite as bright as Yondu's was, but he may brighten up after he settles in. I'm thinking of naming him Yondeux or Nebula. Thoughts?
I like Yondeux! :D He's precious!

Thanks! I got lucky and got there right after they got their shipment, so I got first pick and he wasn't ever taken out of his shipping bag, so hopefully that means less stress for him. My son thought Yondeux was too corny.
Ooooh that's awesome!!