All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I definitely have a similar thing with my older kitty when I'm home. She likes to sleep on the couch but my mom doesn't let animals on the furniture (except my bed). Buuuut I've always let her snuggle with me on the couch when mom isn't home :laugh: And of course at my place the cats are allowed wherever except the kitchen counters lol

Oh it started out as him not being allowed on the couch either but that didn't last too long :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone here have thoughts on/experience with cat grooming? How much does it cut down on shedding? How long does it take to grow back? (My cat's a DMH but close to DLH.) Concerns about temperature regulation? (She's indoor only.)

I'm strongly considering it for my cat who hates being brushed and sheds more than any other cat I've ever met. We're packing/cleaning in our current apartment, staying with my SO's family for a week, and then moving someplace new. It would be nice to have less fur to deal with during all of that!

Does anyone here have thoughts on/experience with cat grooming? How much does it cut down on shedding? How long does it take to grow back? (My cat's a DMH but close to DLH.) Concerns about temperature regulation? (She's indoor only.)

I'm strongly considering it for my cat who hates being brushed and sheds more than any other cat I've ever met. We're packing/cleaning in our current apartment, staying with my SO's family for a week, and then moving someplace new. It would be nice to have less fur to deal with during all of that!

Do you mean grooming as in bathing, brushing and dematting with a groomer or shaving down? Repeated shave downs negatively impact their hair coat and they can still shed, especially as hair grows back in. It's better than her being a matted hair ball of course ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean grooming as in bathing, brushing and dematting with a groomer or shaving down? Repeated shave downs negatively impact their hair coat and they can still shed, especially as hair grows back in. It's better than her being a matted hair ball of course ;)

Shaving- the vet said they just do lion cuts. Thankfully she's an impeccable groomer and doesn't get matted, so I'm not planning on doing it repeatedly. Hopefully just a one-time thing when moving.

ImageUploadedBySDN1500153868.541228.jpg

Kitten is one year old... and not a fan of her party hat.

Reactions: 9 users
Shaving- the vet said they just do lion cuts. Thankfully she's an impeccable groomer and doesn't get matted, so I'm not planning on doing it repeatedly. Hopefully just a one-time thing when moving.
Um... look at when I said I shaved my kitty. She is almost grown back out to the point you cant tell now. That should have been March-April...

Haha I noticed this picture on the box of litter I just bought. That's how much my cats enjoy hugs too. :laugh:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 4 users
ImageUploadedBySDN1500213852.996959.jpg

We welcomed Sherlock the Ragdoll yesterday!! He is an amazing addition to our household. Bold, confident, and inquisitive, he has no problem with the dogs. We are in love with this boy already

Reactions: 17 users
View attachment 221462

We welcomed Sherlock the Ragdoll yesterday!! He is an amazing addition to our household. Bold, confident, and inquisitive, he has no problem with the dogs. We are in love with this boy already
I need to come visit you so I can meet him :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody wanna come by for Wednesday morning so I can show 2 goats per class in the county fair? I have a set of yearlings and a set of young Jr does that I can't decide between, so I wanna bring pairs but I only have 1 set of hands unless we leave the children to fend for themselves.... and that would be unwise.

Anybody wanna come by for Wednesday morning so I can show 2 goats per class in the county fair? I have a set of yearlings and a set of young Jr does that I can't decide between, so I wanna bring pairs but I only have 1 set of hands unless we leave the children to fend for themselves.... and that would be unwise.
If only I lived closer! GOAT WRANGLIN'

I think I'm making the decision to put my male gpiggie, Mowgli to sleep on Wednesday. He's the one with the nasal swellings who had been doing great until recently. He's still eating and pooping but he suddenly went from 756 g to under 560g and has like no muscle. I've been holding on for a few days so I can spend time with him but I have off Wednesday so I feel that may be the day. Ive been feeling selfish lately and just been thinking about what i tell my owners when it's time. And it's totally crushing me. I'm going to miss his wheeks.

I think I'm making the decision to put my male gpiggie, Mowgli to sleep on Wednesday. He's the one with the nasal swellings who had been doing great until recently. He's still eating and pooping but he suddenly went from 756 g to under 560g and has like no muscle. I've been holding on for a few days so I can spend time with him but I have off Wednesday so I feel that may be the day. Ive been feeling selfish lately and just been thinking about what i tell my owners when it's time. And it's totally crushing me. I'm going to miss his wheeks.
I'm so sorry orca. :( It sounds like you're making the right decision!

Long story short something terrible happened and my SO is going to get one of our working dogs who she won't work or exercise near enough to keep happy. I'm devastated.

Um... look at when I said I shaved my kitty. She is almost grown back out to the point you cant tell now. That should have been March-April...

Found it! So cute! That's a pretty good timeline. I'm still undecided about getting it done, but it's nice to know it lasts that long!

Very sorry ... and feeling the feels for you and for Mowgli. My kindest thoughts go out to both of you. :(

Stupid spines. I got me a defective one too.

Woo fun times. I hope the MRI does what it needs to.

Worst part of spine mri is lying still flat on your back for like 30 minutes. I hope you get some answers though
Updating here toooooo

So apparently I have quite a large disc bulge that's pressing against S1 and a bit on S2 :dead: :lame:
My dr thinks it should probably go back away on its own since my pain has gone down quite a bit over the past week and a half and I can walk normally now. But no lifting over like 10 lbs for quite some time until it's all back in place and my back is strengthened

Reactions: 2 users
brain wasn't a whole lot better. major claustrophobia.
Definitely felt like I was like a hand shoved into a Pringles can until the tech told me I could tip my head back and see the world and then I was fine because I wasn't in a closed-end tube.

My mom has also had a head one with the birdcage and said it was not a fun time.

Said goodbye to Mowgli-pig early this AM after my shift. I had planned on spending more cuddle time with him this morning and spoiling him with all his favorite veggies prior to taking him in this afternoon. However, after my shift I knew he wouldn't make it until the morning. He suddenly was having more issues eating and wasn't able to move around easily without falling over. He helped me the most through my first year of vet school and I'll miss his 2 AM zoomies and constant wheeks for veggies. This was also my first pet where I had to make the call and hurts so freaking much.

Attachments

• elf.jpg
    elf.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 38
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 41
  • mowgli and solstice.jpg
    mowgli and solstice.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 2 users
Said goodbye to Mowgli-pig early this AM after my shift. I had planned on spending more cuddle time with him this morning and spoiling him with all his favorite veggies prior to taking him in this afternoon. However, after my shift I knew he wouldn't make it until the morning. He suddenly was having more issues eating and wasn't able to move around easily without falling over. He helped me the most through my first year of vet school and I'll miss his 2 AM zoomies and constant wheeks for veggies. This was also my first pet where I had to make the call and hurts so freaking much.
I am so sorry! I will think of you and him today. Sympathies.

I'm so sorry orca. All the hugs for you <3

I'm so sorry, Orca. He was a very handsome guinea pig and I can tell he had a very happy life with you.

I'm so sorry for your loss orca<3 **hugs**

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Definitely felt like I was like a hand shoved into a Pringles can until the tech told me I could tip my head back and see the world and then I was fine because I wasn't in a closed-end tube.

My mom has also had a head one with the birdcage and said it was not a fun time.
I def had two head ones with the birdcage and fell asleep both times :laugh:

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

So sorry Orca, he had a great life with you <3

Very sorry about Mowgli ... and feeling lots of feels for you. :(

( ( ( Mowgli ) ) )

I'm glad he enjoyed a wonderful life with you.
Mowgli couldn't have asked for a better Mom than you! :love:

( ( ( orca2011 ) ) )

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Not asking for medical advice, just venting and explaining the situation.

I took my dog to his internist for his q6month exam, bloodwork, and ultrasound. We diagnosed IBD and an adrenal nodule about 18 months ago. At his last recheck in February, the nodule hadn't grown since it was discovered (about a year prior to that recheck) and his bloodwork was great. At today's visit, his nodule is officially large enough to be called a mass and has doubled in size over the last six months. He also has some subclinical signs of Cushing's too...a mildly enlarged, more heterogeneous on ultrasound and his contralateral adrenal is slightly smaller than last time. How bloodwork is still pending, and we're doing a low dose dex test to test for Cushing's tomorrow, but the internist has recommended an adrenalectomy. On one hand, my rational brain tells me I'd rather do it now while the tumor is smaller and isn't invading his vena cava. But the other part of me is terrified that I'm going to take my dog who currently has no overt clinical signs of Cushing's to surgery for something that isn't even a big problem yet and he's not going to make it because it isn't an easy surgery and I'm going to feel so guilty. But then I think how he will likely be cured if they do get it out, and we wouldn't have to mess around with medical management of Cushing's the rest of his life. I had a feeling this would be recommended at some point so I have been saving for a possible surgery, plus I get 50% off at this specialty hospital since they consider me a 'referring veterinarian' even though I'm not in clinical practice, so luckily cost isn't a big factor for me on this. Deep down I know I'll almost certainly do what they recommend. I just have a hard time behaving like a rational doctor when it's my own dog...I sorta expected this outcome but I've still had a couple minor freakout moments tonight. Guess we'll just wait to see what tomorrow's tests show and go from there.

Disclaimer: Not asking for medical advice, just venting and explaining the situation.

I took my dog to his internist for his q6month exam, bloodwork, and ultrasound. We diagnosed IBD and an adrenal nodule about 18 months ago. At his last recheck in February, the nodule hadn't grown since it was discovered (about a year prior to that recheck) and his bloodwork was great. At today's visit, his nodule is officially large enough to be called a mass and has doubled in size over the last six months. He also has some subclinical signs of Cushing's too...a mildly enlarged, more heterogeneous on ultrasound and his contralateral adrenal is slightly smaller than last time. How bloodwork is still pending, and we're doing a low dose dex test to test for Cushing's tomorrow, but the internist has recommended an adrenalectomy. On one hand, my rational brain tells me I'd rather do it now while the tumor is smaller and isn't invading his vena cava. But the other part of me is terrified that I'm going to take my dog who currently has no overt clinical signs of Cushing's to surgery for something that isn't even a big problem yet and he's not going to make it because it isn't an easy surgery and I'm going to feel so guilty. But then I think how he will likely be cured if they do get it out, and we wouldn't have to mess around with medical management of Cushing's the rest of his life. I had a feeling this would be recommended at some point so I have been saving for a possible surgery, plus I get 50% off at this specialty hospital since they consider me a 'referring veterinarian' even though I'm not in clinical practice, so luckily cost isn't a big factor for me on this. Deep down I know I'll almost certainly do what they recommend. I just have a hard time behaving like a rational doctor when it's my own dog...I sorta expected this outcome but I've still had a couple minor freakout moments tonight. Guess we'll just wait to see what tomorrow's tests show and go from there.
I'm sorry, Jayna <3
Hope everything goes well with his tests

I just have a hard time behaving like a rational doctor when it's my own dog...I sorta expected this outcome but I've still had a couple minor freakout moments tonight.
This. I'm the same way when it's my own pet's health.

Hope tomorrow's dex test yields useful info. Sending lots of good thoughts to you and your dog.

Love to you and W. Hope all goes well.

:( sorry to everyone having a rough time

I'm about to head out for a little under a week and I'm already feeling so guilty for abandoning my cat. She's very much a one-person cat (she definitely chose me and not the other way around) so I know she misses me when I'm gone. Sigh. In applying to med school, the part that worried me the most was whether my cat would feel abandoned when I had to be out of the house for school all the time. I get so neurotic about my baby girl.

Plus, when I went on vacation a couple weeks ago I returned to a noticeably chubbier kitty, and that is no good.

Plus, when I went on vacation a couple weeks ago I returned to a noticeably chubbier kitty, and that is no good.

This reminds me of when I went on vacation for 2 weeks a few years back. My mom was accidentally feeding my 3 year old cat kitten food, and when I returned he had blown up like a balloon. He hasn't been able to drop the weight since, mostly because he lives with my parents and I have no control over how he's fed, despite my pleas and warnings of possible poor health consequences down the road. He's no longer fed kitten food, but my mom is still feeding too much.

Kitties are so much more self sufficient than dogs, so I wouldn't worry TOO much. I'm sure she misses you, but she'll probably be fine!

This reminds me of when I went on vacation for 2 weeks a few years back. My mom was accidentally feeding my 3 year old cat kitten food, and when I returned he had blown up like a balloon. He hasn't been able to drop the weight since, mostly because he lives with my parents and I have no control over how he's fed, despite my pleas and warnings of possible poor health consequences down the road. He's no longer fed kitten food, but my mom is still feeding too much.

Kitties are so much more self sufficient than dogs, so I wouldn't worry TOO much. I'm sure she misses you, but she'll probably be fine!
I've got her back on the flavor of food she is less enamored with (but is slightly less allergic to, though she is at least a little allergic to everything. JUST LIKE HER HUMAN!), so she won't gain much this time even if she gets overfed. Need her back down to a decent weight before her next vet appointment!

The positive development that came from the last trip was that she started coming down to the first floor every so often instead of staying in my little annex of the second floor all the time. But there's been some tension between her and the other kitties just of late. My roomie doesn't notice it, but they're all having a moment. I think the heat is making them testy.

I was soooo close to being asleep and Simba came in, yelling and whining to tell my that his food bowl was only 75% full and that I needed to top it off (he's the only dog in the house and he free feeds). Oh Simba.

I have a female cat who weighs around 10 pounds.

I'm thinking about purchasing a crate for her (in case I need to keep her confined for a while in an emergency).

I'd like to get a crate that is reputable (i.e., made well), easy to use, and sufficiently spacious so my cat wouldn't feel cramped for space; maybe 36-inches or 42-inches in size.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with crate sizes and cats?

2. Any comments about "Midwest" brand crates?

Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with crate sizes and cats?

2. Any comments about "Midwest" brand crates?

I actually think for the majority of cats, an enclosed airline type of kennel might be the best type rather than a wire crate. I could see a cat getting a paw or head stuck in a wire crate made for a bigger dog pretty easily.