All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thought I would share this picture of my ridiculously spoiled cat named Darcy. She has a suspected bladder infection and gets to go the vet today. This week is going to be one of the busiest of the semester and I was counting on today to prepare. I asked her if she could've waited until next week to get an infection, but she wasn't having it. :p
@Emily Faith she's beautiful!

Glad to hear she's spoiled - she clearly deserves the good life! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
yeti****ten.jpg

Facebook told me yesterday it had been 7 years since I made the decision to take home this little butthead kitten (I've probably posted about him before but this thread is really long!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
View attachment 217363

Facebook told me yesterday it had been 7 years since I made the decision to take home this little butthead kitten (I've probably posted about him before but this thread is really long!):

:love: I have a special place in my heart for these kitties, since I'm an aunt to one. He's adorable!!

Members don't see this ad :)
:love: I have a special place in my heart for these kitties, since I'm an aunt to one. He's adorable!!

He's 3/4 Bengal, 1/4 Persian, and 100% crazy, but a fun cat who is leash-trained, clicker trained for a crazy number of tricks, and tolerant of my puppy's antics. He's had a few brushes with FIC/FLUTD over the years but is managed well with environmental enrichment and a primarily wet food diet.

edit: a few months ago, but here is an example of how tolerant he is

Reactions: 10 users
He's 3/4 Bengal, 1/4 Persian, and 100% crazy, but a fun cat who is leash-trained, clicker trained for a crazy number of tricks, and tolerant of my puppy's antics. He's had a few brushes with FIC/FLUTD over the years but is managed well with environmental enrichment and a primarily wet food diet.
That is a very interesting choice of cats to cross-breed haha.

Reactions: 1 users
That is a very interesting choice of cats to cross-breed haha.

It was for research into inherited progressive retinal atrophy in both breeds. The first order of business was determining whether the mutations were the same in the two breeds, so that was the first cross. Turns out they're different mutations. He was part of a study when he was very young where we did ERGs on some of the kittens to determine the nature and age of onset of the degenerative process. He's unaffected but likely carrier for both.

Reactions: 4 users

This is fantastic haha

I started clicker training my cat, and I'd love some new ideas for tricks!

So far he knows sit (sort of), come (sort of), "target", "flip" (rolls belly up) and "touch". The flip is his favorite -- he did it naturally so that's what I started with, and now he does it alllllll the time to beg for attention. I created a monster with that one.

The thing that's been a little tricky is that he could care less about food, so I've had to use a favorite toy as a reward. Makes the training process go more slowly. So if you have any tips for that, I'm all ears :)

sent from ma fone

So far he knows sit (sort of), come (sort of), "target", "flip" (rolls belly up) and "touch". The flip is his favorite -- he did it naturally so that's what I started with, and now he does it alllllll the time to beg for attention. I created a monster with that one.

The thing that's been a little tricky is that he could care less about food, so I've had to use a favorite toy as a reward. Makes the training process go more slowly. So if you have any tips for that, I'm all ears :)

sent from ma fone
I (sometimes, when I'm a good cat mom) do clicker training with Gandalf, but he's very food motivated so it makes it easier. I have a book for it though - Cat Training in 10 Minutes - and it has a bunch of different tricks you can try :)

If he's in the mood he knows come, sit, "up" (sits with front paws in the air), jump up, down, and target.

hm, well, cats are naturally good at using their paws for things from what I found, so a lot of what I teach him centers on that. He knows high five, shake, wave hello/goodbye, and will either target with nose ("target") or paw ("touch") if I point to something. He also knows down, weave (around legs), on (an obstacle/furniture), off (same), stand (on hind legs), spin (both directions), roll over (both directions) and probably other stuff I'm forgetting since I have been using all of my training energy on my pup for a few months now. Actually when I train my dog he tends to be right there too, haha, especially if I'm using the clicker. No matter where in the house he is, he comes running fast if he hears the click.

Can't help too much with the reward stuff, all 3 of my cats would cut you for one piece of kibble. It may be because I meal feed them all and not as much as they'd like, so you could work on building food motivation by hand-feeding kibble as supplement or full meal rather than bowl feeding or leaving kibble out ad lib.

He's awesome! I've met a few cats with similar coloring, but they're always mutts with unknown histories. My sister's cat was part of a litter someone found under their barn.

IMG_20170319_072756958.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
hm, well, cats are naturally good at using their paws for things from what I found, so a lot of what I teach him centers on that. He knows high five, shake, wave hello/goodbye, and will either target with nose ("target") or paw ("touch") if I point to something. He also knows down, weave (around legs), on (an obstacle/furniture), off (same), stand (on hind legs), spin (both directions), roll over (both directions) and probably other stuff I'm forgetting since I have been using all of my training energy on my pup for a few months now. Actually when I train my dog he tends to be right there too, haha, especially if I'm using the clicker. No matter where in the house he is, he comes running fast if he hears the click.

Can't help too much with the reward stuff, all 3 of my cats would cut you for one piece of kibble. It may be because I meal feed them all and not as much as they'd like, so you could work on building food motivation by hand-feeding kibble as supplement or full meal rather than bowl feeding or leaving kibble out ad lib.
I'll try the paw ideas - I think Wesley would like that!

Someday I'd also like to teach him a command for "don't be a jerk". But baby steps.

Reactions: 7 users

sent from ma fone
My sisters cat does high fives!
Clicker trained him a couple years ago to do that

I think there were a few other things but I can't remember them

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, "go wait" is the closest I have to that, and it's to keep him from being an annoying brat when I'm getting food ready. All three cats go to their food bowls (1 in a different room because he's on a hypoallergenic diet) if I say "go wait" at dinnertime.

Reactions: 2 users
he is a handsome fellow!

I love when people actually do things with their cats. I feel like training really enhances the bond and not many people believe cats are trainable but the cats really have fun with it too in my experience, and it gives their minds something to do (especially indoor only cats).

he is a handsome fellow!

I love when people actually do things with their cats. I feel like training really enhances the bond and not many people believe cats are trainable but the cats really have fun with it too in my experience, and it gives their minds something to do (especially indoor only cats).
Gandalf is so much less of a brat on days when he's had his training time :D

I also had a cat training book that I used when I first got my fluffball. At one point she knew "come", "sit", "high five", "up" (which was to stand up on her back legs only), and "down." We also used to go on leash walks outside. I really wanted a dog at that point in my life but my apartment only allowed cats so...

Nowadays she'll still do high five and sit, come is hit or miss and she pretends she never learned the other ones.

Reactions: 3 users
I (sometimes, when I'm a good cat mom) do clicker training with Gandalf, but he's very food motivated so it makes it easier. I have a book for it though - Cat Training in 10 Minutes - and it has a bunch of different tricks you can try :)

If he's in the mood he knows come, sit, "up" (sits with front paws in the air), jump up, down, and target.

That book is great! I got it used on half.com or eBay or something for <$5.

We've done very basic commands (sit, come, up) and I want to work on targeting more- for whatever reason, she hasn't done very well with it. I'd like to use targeting to lead to some kitty agility- she has waaaay too much energy sometimes and I need to force it out of her! Plus, what's cuter than a kitty going through an obstacle course?

Lottie knows kiss and I'm (very) slowly teaching her the ASL sign for food/eat

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone ;)
I know this question is totally out of the blue, but does anyone here know what's it like to have dogs during vet school and internships/residency?
I am a pre-veterinary student now, and I've been desperately wanting a dog for as long as I can remember (my mom didn't allow :(). My choice would be either a retired racing greyhound or older lab from a rescue. I know many of vet students have pets including dogs, but I'm not sure I should commit to a dog because I've been looking into internship/residency (I'm interested in specializing), and I am afraid that I wouldn't have enough time for a dog during internships or residency. I don't want to have a dog during vet school if I would have to give it away during internships :(
Please share your experiences and advice, I'd really appreciate it :)

View attachment 217363

Facebook told me yesterday it had been 7 years since I made the decision to take home this little butthead kitten (I've probably posted about him before but this thread is really long!):
@nyanko congratulations on your 7-year anniversary with your cutie-pie cat!

anniversarycats1.jpg

@PrincessButterCup is this one of the cats from the barn litter? Look at that innocent little face! :angelic:
Yes, that's my kitty-niece. :D She looks innocent, but in this picture she's playing on a drying rack in a room that was supposed to be off limits. Only an evil mastermind could have snuck in there.

Hi everyone ;)
I know this question is totally out of the blue, but does anyone here know what's it like to have dogs during vet school and internships/residency?
I am a pre-veterinary student now, and I've been desperately wanting a dog for as long as I can remember (my mom didn't allow :(). My choice would be either a retired racing greyhound or older lab from a rescue. I know many of vet students have pets including dogs, but I'm not sure I should commit to a dog because I've been looking into internship/residency (I'm interested in specializing), and I am afraid that I wouldn't have enough time for a dog during internships or residency. I don't want to have a dog during vet school if I would have to give it away during internships :(
Please share your experiences and advice, I'd really appreciate it :)
@orca2011 is doing an internship now and has a dog. I have several classmates with dogs that are planning internships and residencies and none plan on giving up their dogs. If you get an older dog (which is fantastic!) just realize you will likely need to either live close enough to school to go home during lunch or have someone take the dog out for you. For internships and residencies you will likely also need someone to take the dog out for you, but lots of people make that work.

I had a dog during my 2 internships and still have one now (though I have a lot more free time now that I'm working in a lab for awhile). It's tough but manageable. When I was on overnights I used to take her with me to work, because those shifts tended to be longer and nobody was really up to take her out in the middle of the night. During the day I had someone let her out for me, and took her for walks when I came home at night. One of my internmates actually ended up adopting a dog during our rotating internship and did okay. I wouldn't recommend a young puppy during those times obviously, but you're looking into an older rescue dog so it wouldn't be so bad. If you did decide on a puppy during vet school it's actually a decent time to get one - that pup will have unparalleled socialization opportunities, haha.

Visited home last weekend, my parents made this sweet pet garden. A few of our old dogs/cats, and now Harley, are buried under that tree.
ImageUploadedBySDN1491325900.128216.jpg

Also April fools day was this dude's assigned bday! in early May, he showed up at our house sickly, angry, and scared from all the dogs. Now he's my sisters cat, a big cuddle-buddy who doesn't know cat-manners. 1year old, Huckle!
ImageUploadedBySDN1491327340.414135.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1491327428.471515.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1491327518.512916.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1491327553.315431.jpg

Eta: forgot the "before" pic!
View attachment 217414

Reactions: 11 users
Visited home last weekend, my parents made this sweet pet garden. A few of our old dogs/cats, and now Harley, are buried under that tree.
View attachment 217409

Also April fools day was this dude's assigned bday! in early May, he showed up at our house sickly, angry, and scared from all the dogs. Now he's my sisters cat, a big cuddle-buddy who doesn't know cat-manners. 1year old, Huckle!
View attachment 217410
View attachment 217411
View attachment 217412
View attachment 217413
Eta: forgot the "before" pic!
View attachment 217414
Happy Birthday to 1-year-old Huckle!

bdaycat.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 8.38.25 PM.png

Got my boys some new raincoats :biglove: The little horseshoes on Manny's just make my life

Reactions: 14 users
Diego then tried to "eat" Manny because Manny looked at him :whistle: He never bites down, he just opens his mouth and rubs his teeth on Manny, soooo threatening :laugh:
IMG_5521.JPG

Reactions: 9 users
Had our first agility trial today. 2 events, a first and a second. One Q, the other was a NQ but should have been a Q (dog that went before us didn't leave the course fast enough and stood barking right by the finish line...needless to say, the pup went to go say hi and then took the jump backwards).

I'm pretty pleased at how she handled herself overall. She kept her brain even after waiting in the crate for most of the 10 hour day, and did all the obstacles beautifully.

Attachments

• cpe.jpg
    cpe.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 14 users
You can't hear it, but Juniper in the back is growling at Lux in the front. Juniper acts tough, but will immediately back down when confronted. Also, Lux is half her size :laugh:
image.jpeg

Had our first agility trial today. 2 events, a first and a second. One Q, the other was a NQ but should have been a Q (dog that went before us didn't leave the course fast enough and stood barking right by the finish line...needless to say, the pup went to go say hi and then took the jump backwards).

I'm pretty pleased at how she handled herself overall. She kept her brain even after waiting in the crate for most of the 10 hour day, and did all the obstacles beautifully.

Ahh I can't wait until Hachi is old enough to jump! We are having a lot of fun in the foundations agility courses - he does whatever I ask as long as he's focused but keeping his teenage jerk self focused for long enough is the only issue. I think he'll be great once he matures a bit. :D

Ahh I can't wait until Hachi is old enough to jump! We are having a lot of fun in the foundations agility courses - he does whatever I ask as long as he's focused but keeping his teenage jerk self focused for long enough is the only issue. I think he'll be great once he matures a bit. :D

I spent a ton of time at that age working on a flat contact board, practicing laying down in the contact. As well as wraps/turns/switches over a ground pole, wobble boards, the table, and very very spaced out 2x2s. It's definitely paying off now that she is finally growing more than one brain cell at a time! I avoided contacts with any height, jumps and sharp turns until after 1 year when I x-rayed her hips/elbows. She's just 18 months now and coming along really nicely.

I spent a ton of time at that age working on a flat contact board, practicing laying down in the contact. As well as wraps/turns/switches over a ground pole, wobble boards, the table, and very very spaced out 2x2s. It's definitely paying off now that she is finally growing more than one brain cell at a time! I avoided contacts with any height, jumps and sharp turns until after 1 year when I x-rayed her hips/elbows. She's just 18 months now and coming along really nicely.

The class I'm in right now is flatwork only, but he's very familiar with wobble boards and stuff too. We're focusing a little more on obedience first - we got bumped up from the regular pet manners class to a CGC prep class on week 2 last session, so now I have the goal of getting the CGC title on him before he's a year old. :) Definitely not doing anything with height. And I figured I'd check growth plates with rads prior to starting that.

I completed a 7-mile trail trek last weekend and stopped long enough to take a photo of this bobcat (from a distance, of course).

Here kitty, kitty, kitty!

Edit: getting detailed picture of bobcat from camera ... stay tuned. Drats, haven't been able to upload another trekker's video on SDN because of its length. It shows bobcat moving around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I completed a 7-mile trail trek last weekend and stopped long enough to take a photo of this bobcat (from a distance, of course).

Here kitty, kitty, kitty!

View attachment 217645
10/10 would still pet the angry kitty.

But wouldn't that be an excellent idea? Hiking/ running trails just releasing big cats on the trails to encourage people to run faster.:laugh:

My older boy kitty has been barfy lately. We've run lots of diagnostics without finding anything. We dewormed him. We switched food. I am thinking we're at the point of needing to scope him, though I didn't want to have to pay for that. :(

Foster dog has an open sore on her leg but no one knows why. It's not infected, they've run multiple cultures. They though it was the BB's she was shot with but they did a sedated X-ray today and there's nothing near it. They did a biopsy and sent it out to a pathologist and they'll get back to me in 1-3 weeks. It might be a fungal infection because they can't think of anything else lol. Why do I always get the dogs with the leg issues?

Foster dog has an open sore on her leg but no one knows why. It's not infected, they've run multiple cultures. They though it was the BB's she was shot with but they did a sedated X-ray today and there's nothing near it. They did a biopsy and sent it out to a pathologist and they'll get back to me in 1-3 weeks. It might be a fungal infection because they can't think of anything else lol. Why do I always get the dogs with the leg issues?
@Coopah it sucks when you can't get an actual diagnosis.

However, no matter what you say about getting the "dogs with leg issues," I know you love all dogs and this dog is very lucky to have you as her (very kind and caring) foster parent.

pup.gif

I hope your ailing dog gets better! :)

@Coopah it sucks when you can't get an actual diagnosis.

However, no matter what you say about getting the "dogs with leg issues," I know you love all dogs and this dog is very lucky to have you as her (very kind and caring) foster parent.

View attachment 217736

I hope your ailing dog gets better! :)
Thanks Doc S she's a very sweet dog , it's just funny that every dog I hold onto for any length of time developed a leg issue of some sort. I wish they were healthy, not because I'm annoyed, just because I don't want them to be sick :p

Here is a picture of the result of volunteering at a dog shelter and having absolutely no self control.. she's coming home with me in may :love:

Attachments

• Snapchat-1367312804.jpg
    Snapchat-1367312804.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 7 users