All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My dog and I had our first clicker training class yesterday! I've been saying for about a year now that I want to take her to a training class. (She's turning 2 in May, and my own training attempts have only given so-so results. She knows some commands really well, but important ones like "stay" and "come" need a LOT of work.) I stumbled into this class kind of by accident, but it was so fortuitous! It's really affordable, and it's held on my day off. There was an e-mail sign up and I managed to register before the class was full.

So, the not unexpected news is that my dog was the worst behaved. :laugh: She'd whine the entire time the instructors were talking becasue nothing was happening and she was bored. None of the other dogs did this. At the end of class, there were a couple times that someone walked by the window or tried to come in the back door, and Tali gave them her ferocious-sounding bark. (She does the same thing if someone comes to the door at home.) A couple of dogs also barked once or twice, but not my girl. She barked every time.

The good news is, she was the quickest learner! She made it all the way through a 'touch' exercise that the other dogs were struggling with, and she was the only one who got to play with the touch-activated light! It could just be that this particular exercise came naturally, and maybe she'll struggle with different commands, but I'm going to pretend it means that my child is the smartest. :p

Anyway, she had a TON of fun. She loves new dogs/people, she got to play games and get lots of treats, and she got a car ride to boot. It was a fantastic first class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
More pictures:

Sleeping pile of 6 kids:
2017-03-04 22.19.51.jpg

Littlest girl at just over 4 lbs, but full of attitude:
2017-03-04 22.20.48.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
My dog and I had our first clicker training class yesterday! I've been saying for about a year now that I want to take her to a training class. (She's turning 2 in May, and my own training attempts have only given so-so results. She knows some commands really well, but important ones like "stay" and "come" need a LOT of work.) I stumbled into this class kind of by accident, but it was so fortuitous! It's really affordable, and it's held on my day off. There was an e-mail sign up and I managed to register before the class was full.

So, the not unexpected news is that my dog was the worst behaved. :laugh: She'd whine the entire time the instructors were talking becasue nothing was happening and she was bored. None of the other dogs did this. At the end of class, there were a couple times that someone walked by the window or tried to come in the back door, and Tali gave them her ferocious-sounding bark. (She does the same thing if someone comes to the door at home.) A couple of dogs also barked once or twice, but not my girl. She barked every time.

The good news is, she was the quickest learner! She made it all the way through a 'touch' exercise that the other dogs were struggling with, and she was the only one who got to play with the touch-activated light! It could just be that this particular exercise came naturally, and maybe she'll struggle with different commands, but I'm going to pretend it means that my child is the smartest. :p

Anyway, she had a TON of fun. She loves new dogs/people, she got to play games and get lots of treats, and she got a car ride to boot. It was a fantastic first class.
What kind of dog is she?

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_5345.JPG

Caught Manny drinking from the waterer the other day :eek:

I know that seems stupid, lol, but the day we moved him to this barn he went to investigate the waterer and accidentally leaned up against the electric fence... causing him to be terrified of the outdoor waterers from then on :boom: Like full on, snorting, flying backwards, you name it if you tried to lead him up to the waterer. So I tried bribing him with cookies, getting him close to the waterer for about a month, but it wasn't helping at all so we just left it... He has an automatic waterer in his stall so he was getting water for at least 12 hours of the day. But looks like he's finally figured out that the waterer won't try to eat him :laugh: Even though he's still super tentative about approaching it, haha.

Reactions: 11 users
View attachment 215763
Caught Manny drinking from the waterer the other day :eek:

I know that seems stupid, lol, but the day we moved him to this barn he went to investigate the waterer and accidentally leaned up against the electric fence... causing him to be terrified of the outdoor waterers from then on :boom: Like full on, snorting, flying backwards, you name it if you tried to lead him up to the waterer. So I tried bribing him with cookies, getting him close to the waterer for about a month, but it wasn't helping at all so we just left it... He has an automatic waterer in his stall so he was getting water for at least 12 hours of the day. But looks like he's finally figured out that the waterer won't try to eat him :laugh: Even though he's still super tentative about approaching it, haha.
YAY MANNY!!!!:biglove:

Reactions: 1 user

My pup is 18months now, and we've been training since she was 4 months. Two group obedience classes and we are just starting our fourth agility class.
Everytime the instructors try to gather everyone in a group to talk, I'm on the outskirts walking back and forth and making the creature heel/sit/turn/switch over and over again. Because other wise I get barked at "I'm bored, let's go, hurry up type barks" and nobody hears what the instructors are trying to say :laugh:

That being said, my 10 year old dog does the same thing. For agility, she's in a down stay at the first obstacle and I'm 20 feet in front of her. She barks at me the whole time I'm making her stay. So bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Prefacing this with saying that I am not asking for medical advice.

I am taking over the care of a family member's 3 year old Female Intact DSH. Family is asking to rehome her because she has started peeing on things in the apartment. Family is having a baby soon and cannot handle the stress of cat and baby and urine all at once. The mother is dealing with a high risk pregnancy and can't deal with any stress whatsoever, so I decided to take on this "case."

What I'm asking is, when I take her to the vet for exam/vaccines/spay, what info should I know to tell vet, or what questions should I be prepared to answer about this cat and her urinating issues?

I am taking over the care of a family member's 3 year old Female Intact DSH. Family is asking to rehome her because she has started peeing on things in the apartment. Family is having a baby soon and cannot handle the stress of cat and baby and urine all at once. The mother is dealing with a high risk pregnancy and can't deal with any stress whatsoever, so I decided to take on this "case."

What I'm asking is, when I take her to the vet for exam/vaccines/spay, what info should I know to tell vet, or what questions should I be prepared to answer about this cat and her urinating issues?
Is she peeing near the box? What surfaces? Does she strain? Color? Odor? Does she drink a lot?

I'd also make sure it's pee and not pus. Ask me about last weeks new client "cat with UTI" appointment that turned into an after hours pyometra spay....

But chances of that are way lower than behavioral and primary urinary :laugh:

I'd also make sure it's pee and not pus. Ask me about last weeks new client "cat with UTI" appointment that turned into an after hours pyometra spay....

But chances of that are way lower than behavioral and primary urinary :laugh:
I'd hope my brother would know the difference between urine and pus :bored:

I don't know about the medical side so much, but I know the shelter where I volunteer would want to know type of litter, how often waste is removed, how often the box is fully cleaned out, and any recent changes (litter box related or just in the home in general).

Initial thoughts:

What is the cat's daily diet (e.g., free-feeding on dry kibble 24/7 may contribute to feline urinary issues). Make sure you provide the DVM with specific information about the cat's diet (e.g., information about canned wet food and/or dry kibble). Water intake adequate? Is cat urinating on vertical surfaces or horizontal surfaces?

The vet will likely test cat to r/o FIC, and other underlying organicity before considering behavioral issues.

As always, I humbly defer to the vet med experts in this forum. :cat:

My pup is 18months now, and we've been training since she was 4 months. Two group obedience classes and we are just starting our fourth agility class.
Everytime the instructors try to gather everyone in a group to talk, I'm on the outskirts walking back and forth and making the creature heel/sit/turn/switch over and over again. Because other wise I get barked at "I'm bored, let's go, hurry up type barks" and nobody hears what the instructors are trying to say :laugh:

Hachi doesn't generally bark in class (taking our first foundations of agility class and a grown-up obedience class after 2 puppy classes) but during the times when the instructors are speaking or if we're doing something too repetitive or basic/boring, he starts being a major pain, staring at other dogs, pulling towards other dogs when they object to his staring, sniffing the floor and eating crumbs and fluff off of it, staring intensely at me as if that will make me do something. I usually just try to shove treats down his throat the entire time the instructor is talking to avoid this but I wish he could just calm down! If we're doing something new or really stimulating he's one of the best in the class, but doing regular loose leash walking around in a circle just doesn't do it for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of dog is she?

We don't know! She's a rescue mutt, but she's supposedly half Border Collie. Her body is kind of oddly proportioned; thick trunk, stumpy legs, and lots of loose skin around her neck. Big pointy ears. We're guessing part terrier? These pictures don't make her look as weird as she is in real life. :laugh: She stands 6 inches shorter than my mom's dog, who is only 5 lbs heavier than her.

IMG_20160218_110646615.jpg IMG_20160306_184657781.jpg

That being said, my 10 year old dog does the same thing. For agility, she's in a down stay at the first obstacle and I'm 20 feet in front of her. She barks at me the whole time I'm making her stay. So bad.

That makes me feel better! She's always been a dog who gets bored easily (which has made dog proofing the living room fun), but for some reason I never thought boredom would carry over to class. She just wants treats and attention the whole time I guess. :rolleyes:

We don't know! She's a rescue mutt, but she's supposedly half Border Collie. Her body is kind of oddly proportioned; thick trunk, stumpy legs, and lots of loose skin around her neck. Big pointy ears. We're guessing part terrier? These pictures don't make her look as weird as she is in real life. :laugh: She stands 6 inches shorter than my mom's dog, who is only 5 lbs heavier than her.

View attachment 215905 View attachment 215906

That makes me feel better! She's always been a dog who gets bored easily (which has made dog proofing the living room fun), but for some reason I never thought boredom would carry over to class. She just wants treats and attention the whole time I guess. :rolleyes:
shes so cute ahhhhh

I dont know if ive claimed her yet, but I am now. Thanks.

Almost looks part pharaoh hound to me. Super cute.

Reactions: 2 users

Body and shallow face almost look Bull terrier to me.

It always gives me warm fuzzies when my dog sleeps in his crate voluntarily in the evenings. I only recently started using it again in July after a 5-6 year period where, during vet school, we had a doggie door attached to the laundry room or, during internship, where he was always at the clinic with me or waiting in the car because it was cool 90% of the time. He doesn't always sleep in it (he does have two beds, the couch, and my chair at his disposal too), but he's starting to do it more and more. It reassures me he doesn't hate it! I know crate training is great and have always told clients that, but does make me feel less bad about making him stay in it anytime he's left at home alone when he does stuff like this, I'll admit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
So my dog, Simba- a Shih Tzu, loves going to the vet. It's the point where I turn onto the street the clinic is on and he starts jumping up and down, tail moving 729292 mph, and loudly vocalizing and he does that nonstop until he can get into the arms of his favorite vet who holds him like a baby. Besides for food, it's likely his favorite thing in the last world.

We're in the waiting room right now to have a spot on his eye checked out and he's currently happy stomping and vocalizing- much to my protest. At least he's happy and not terrorizing the waiting room? :laugh:

Reactions: 13 users
Taking the big dog in for ablation of a mass in his ear canal tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that this one's not malignant either. Two pets with mass removals in less than a month. Makes me want to stop petting them all so I won't find anything else.

Reactions: 3 users
Taking the big dog in for ablation of a mass in his ear canal tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that this one's not malignant either. Two pets with mass removals in less than a month. Makes me want to stop petting them all so I won't find anything else.
Hope everything goes well :xf:

Oh bunnies!

I woke up to what sounded like little digging feet on the faux hardwoods. I saw both rabbits still in their cage and figured it was nothing. I checked back later and saw that they chewed a hole through another rug. Bad little fuzzies. This is why I'm going to make a base for their pen and line it with nearly indestructible materials.

Rabbits: 3
Rugs: 0

Reactions: 4 users
Oh bunnies!

I woke up to what sounded like little digging feet on the faux hardwoods. I saw both rabbits still in their cage and figured it was nothing. I checked back later and saw that they chewed a hole through another rug. Bad little fuzzies. This is why I'm going to make a base for their pen and line it with nearly indestructible materials.

Rabbits: 3
Rugs: 0
@Jess Monster, when I read your rug chewing rabbit post, I thought of this "book chewing" rabbit photo.

rabbit.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
THEYRE SO CUTEEEEEEE UGHHHHHHH

Hehe. Seven (on the right) is going to a St. Patricks Day themed horse show next weekend, so @SARdoghandler is loaning me the tiny hat to decorate him with. But we decided to try it on all of the horses for fun! Manny was obviously not impressed :laugh:

Hehe. Seven (on the right) is going to a St. Patricks Day themed horse show next weekend, so @SARdoghandler is loaning me the tiny hat to decorate him with. But we decided to try it on all of the horses for fun! Manny was obviously not impressed :laugh:
Hey, who is Seven's sire? He looks super similar to a few of the horses in my area that all came from this one stallion.

Trying to find the name, but apparently he was sold from the old barn that had him.

Hey, who is Seven's sire? He looks super similar to a few of the horses in my area that all came from this one stallion.

Trying to find the name, but apparently he was sold from the old barn that had him.

Urybaldi CH :) Fairly popular stud here in Alberta, he just passed away last year. Seven looks a lot like him, but I haven't found too many offspring that look like Seven.

Urybaldi CH :) Fairly popular stud here in Alberta, he just passed away last year. Seven looks a lot like him, but I haven't found too many offspring that look like Seven.
Just looked him up to see if he shared any bloodlines with Kupido K (the stallion I was thinking of). Apparently not.

I've met 4 or 5 Kupido babies and they all have had the same face as Seven, which got me wondering. Body build is definitely a little different though, from what I have seen of your boy.

Just looked him up to see if he shared any bloodlines with Kupido K (the stallion I was thinking of). Apparently not.

I've met 4 or 5 Kupido babies and they all have had the same face as Seven, which got me wondering. Body build is definitely a little different though, from what I have seen of your boy.

Seven's a pretty different build from most warmbloods... moose-chic isn't a big trend in the warmblood industry :laugh:

My atypical Cushings pup had her medication reduced right before we left South Carolina because she was over suppressed. She's going in for a Stim on Wednesday, but over the past few days she's been insanely PU/PD to the point of just peeing on the couch in front of me, super clingy, and polyphagic. All her usual signs that her dose needs to go up.

I'm worried that because she never shows high on the Stim her new Dr won't agree with changing her dose. They seemed reluctant to even order her meds for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My atypical Cushings pup had her medication reduced right before we left South Carolina because she was over suppressed. She's going in for a Stim on Wednesday, but over the past few days she's been insanely PU/PD to the point of just peeing on the couch in front of me, super clingy, and polyphagic. All her usual signs that her dose needs to go up.

I'm worried that because she never shows high on the Stim her new Dr won't agree with changing her dose. They seemed reluctant to even order her meds for me.
@emacc hoping your pup feels better. :cat:

Do any of you have experience flying with a cat? I was curious if flying back and forth between school and home (maybe twice a year?) is too stressful for them? I assume it depends on the cat, but if anyone has any experience or tips that would make it less stressful I would love to hear!

I present you with a kitten picture in exchange for your input (thank you!)

IMG_20160110_154141213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do any of you have experience flying with a cat? I was curious if flying back and forth between school and home (maybe twice a year?) is too stressful for them? I know it depends on the cat, but if anyone has any experience or tips that would make it less stressful I would love to hear!

View attachment 216399
I've never flown a cat, but I do drive mine (6 hours one way) when I go home for school breaks. I've found that loading them with lysine starting the week before the trip really cuts down on the severity (or eliminates) URIs that may pop up after stress. You can also try tucking a Feliway wipe in the cat's carrier, but I personally don't always feel the pheromone products are worth the money. Sometimes they work miracles, though.

Do any of you have experience flying with a cat? I was curious if flying back and forth between school and home (maybe twice a year?) is too stressful for them? I assume it depends on the cat, but if anyone has any experience or tips that would make it less stressful I would love to hear!

View attachment 216399

I flew kitten home/back over winter break and she will be flying home/back again over summer. I got her when she was about five weeks old as an orphan foster, and I raised her with her riding in the car constantly so she is used to her carrier and doesn't mind leaving the house... with that being said, I sedated her for both the flights and that made it significantly less stressful on both of us. A vet gave me Ace for sedation (lots of vets won't for flying because of risks associated with it.... I know another friend was given gabapentin for flying her cat home) but it worked like a dream. I do a really low dose, but just enough to get her to sleep through the traveling. If your cat is okay on car rides and in the carrier, you should be fine on a flight. Just plan extra time for security and stuff because your cat has to come out of the carrier.

ImageUploadedBySDN1489934768.074177.jpg

View attachment 216399
I flew with mine without sedation. He did great, other passengers were completely unaware I had a cat until we were getting off the plane and I pulled my carrier out from under the seat. We did leash training so he was comfortable with being on a leash before the trip. Going through security was probably the hardest part because he just wanted to hide, and I had to pry him out of his carrier. Best part was when the pilot wanted to meet him and he got wings, like they do for little kids on their first flight. :cat:

Reactions: 6 users
I flew with mine without sedation. He did great, other passengers were completely unaware I had a cat until we were getting off the plane and I pulled my carrier out from under the seat. We did leash training so he was comfortable with being on a leash before the trip. Going through security was probably the hardest part because he just wanted to hide, and I had to pry him out of his carrier. Best part was when the pilot wanted to meet him and he got wings, like they do for little kids on their first flight. :cat:
I was really hoping they'd give my dog wings, but I didn't want to be 'that person' and ask. Maybe the next flight.

ImageUploadedBySDN1489941340.421799.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1489941465.804174.jpg

Here is a pic of my kitty and bunny. The kitty is named Sapphire. I acquired her after my roommate's friend got her from a shelter and was allergic. The bunny is named Pippin. She's a Netherlands dwarf that is about to turn 1 year old!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
Had to leave my baby yesterday to go back to school now that Spring Break is over. :( He means so much to me, and he saved my life when I was younger, struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts & actions. He's the greatest dog I've ever had (he doesn't have little dog syndrome haha), but I'm currently in a "custody war" to see who gets to have him in the fall.

So I just wanted to share how much I love my baby.
IMG_0018.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

View attachment 216399
@serher I think the kitten photo is adorable! :cat:

View attachment 216399
@serher are you planning to keep your cat (inside a cat carrier) in the passenger cabin of a commercial jet? If yes, does this mean that you want to buy an extra ticket for your cat to be seated next to you (e.g., coach, business, first-class seating area) while inside of the cat carrier?

Or do you plan to have your cat fly in the "live animal" cargo compartment of a commercial jet?

Last edited:
Had to leave my baby yesterday to go back to school now that Spring Break is over. :( He means so much to me, and he saved my life when I was younger, struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts & actions. He's the greatest dog I've ever had (he doesn't have little dog syndrome haha), but I'm currently in a "custody war" to see who gets to have him in the fall.

So I just wanted to share how much I love my baby.
View attachment 216415
@cdoconn your dog is fuzzy-cuddly, cute and adorable! :cat:

I flew kitten home/back over winter break and she will be flying home/back again over summer. I got her when she was about five weeks old as an orphan foster, and I raised her with her riding in the car constantly so she is used to her carrier and doesn't mind leaving the house... with that being said, I sedated her for both the flights and that made it significantly less stressful on both of us. A vet gave me Ace for sedation (lots of vets won't for flying because of risks associated with it.... I know another friend was given gabapentin for flying her cat home) but it worked like a dream. I do a really low dose, but just enough to get her to sleep through the traveling. If your cat is okay on car rides and in the carrier, you should be fine on a flight. Just plan extra time for security and stuff because your cat has to come out of the carrier.

View attachment 216402

Aww your little kitty is adorable! I didn't know the cat needs to come out of the carrier, but I should have realized that (duh). She's quite fractious at the vet clinic unfortunately, which makes me think she'll probably need sedation :rolleyes: Do workers actually have to touch her? If not I think it will be okay since she is fine with me and really likes her carrier. Thank you so much for your help!

The fact that your kitty got wings is so precious :love: I wish my cat was this well behaved lol. The leash training is a great tip--thank you so much for your help!

@serher are you planning to keep your cat (inside a cat carrier) in the passenger cabin of a commercial jet? If yes, does this mean that you want to buy an extra ticket for your cat to be seated next to you (e.g., coach, business, first-class seating area) while inside of the cat carrier?

Or do you plan to have your cat fly in the "live animal" cargo compartment of a commercial jet?

Definitely not in the cargo compartment. I believe I would be paying extra so my kitty would be in her carrier as my "carry-on" underneath the seat in front of me :)

Aww your little kitty is adorable! I didn't know the cat needs to come out of the carrier, but I should have realized that (duh). She's quite fractious at the vet clinic unfortunately, which makes me think she'll probably need sedation :rolleyes: Do workers actually have to touch her? If not I think it will be okay since she is fine with me and really likes her carrier. Thank you so much for your help!

They don't have to touch the animals. You take her out of the carrier when you reach the front of the security checkpoint, send the empty carrier through the xray machine, and carry her in your arms through the metal detector (you don't use the newer thing where you raise your arms over your head). When you get through the metal detector, you'll be pulled aside while still carrying her and get both of your hands swabbed for explosives. Once the test is done they'll say you're good, you can put her back in the carrier, and be on your way. It took maybe 5 minutes all told? I was nervous with my dog but it was all pretty fast and efficient and I was flying out of a large airport early in the morning when it was very busy. It was a little awkward changing hands I was holding the dog in while they were swabbing me but it was ok.