ALERT: Florida optometrists gaining ground with recent bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Toothless :thumbup: I'll definitely keep an eye out for more puns :laugh:
I am not disagreeing about authority, you are absolutely right. I think you are misunderstanding that Ethics =/= Law. States define and enforce law. Unethical behavior is often illegal, especially in health care; often enough that it would be easy to mistake them.
I started writing about the differences, but I found this definition and it explains it better:
" Ethics and law differ in that ethics are social guidelines based on moral principles and values while laws are rules and regulations that have specific penalties and consequences when violated. Ethics do not have punishments, fines or associated penalties when people fail to abide by them while laws do."
Except that this isn't how it works in the real world. My state medical board definitely can discipline you if you violate professional ethics. In fact, that's one of the things that often defines a profession.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Except that this isn't how it works in the real world. My state medical board definitely can discipline you if you violate professional ethics. In fact, that's one of the things that often defines a profession.

Very true. You can have your license revoked for violating ethics, even if you aren't charged with breaking the law.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting this. Had a good chuckle.

"Right now just three states allow optometrists to perform surgery: Oklahoma, Kentucky and Louisiana, places that aren’t exactly on the leading edge of much, except maybe teen pregnancy and KKK membership. "

Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Record Sums Pour In, As Optometrists Ready For Big Fight in Tallahassee[/QUOTE]

Below was the comment from one of optometrist responding to the article above. This really needs to stop. It doesnt even seem to really reflect the optometry community. (Why is it always Florida some crazy $hit like this happen? I am from FL so I have a right to say it. )

Submitted by OD_Man on March 30, 2017 - 10:10pm
I'm not sure why our Optometry leadership keeps on pushing for surgical rights. I am an Optometrist and have no desire whatsoever to perform eye surgery. I didn't enter Optometry school with the preconceived notion that I wanted to cut into eyeballs. Leave that to the OMDs. We really don't have the training to perform these procedures. But we do get good training on primary eye care services and that should be our focus. Leave the complicated stuff to the OMDs! I wish our Optometry leadership would stop "stirring the pot" so much with this push for surgical privileges that most of us Optometrists don't even want and our patients don't need. Instead, our leadership should be concentrating on stopping new Optometry schools from opening up which is causing a massive oversupply of ODs which is making everyone desperate for their piece of the pie.

Reactions: 6 users
Was told defeated, but I see some blog saying unheard. May just be very unlikely it will ever progress any further? Anyone with clarification should update.