Albert Einstein vs state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning to go to my state school in the Midwest ranked in the 50's until I recently was accepted off the waitlist from Albert Einstein and have to make my decision in the next 3 days.

I am planning on going for a competitive speciality so idk if it would make a difference on what program I attend. I want to go to residency in a big city such as Chicago or on the coasts for residency

Einstein
Pros-
Higher ranked
Better match list
More diverse patient population
More global health opportunities

Cons-
Cost more. 80k/year
Location in the bronyx is not that great
Older facilities
Old curriculum

State school-
Close to home
Cheaper. 50k/ year
Smaller class size
Have friends attending
Might get a scholarship, they give out scholarships in June

Cons-
Lower ranked
Not very diverse
Smaller city

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hard to give advice without knowing the state school. Guessing it is either Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, etc?

Hard to give advice without knowing the state school. Guessing it is either Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, etc?

Minnesota and Indiana are #44 and #45 respectively. I'm guessing it's either Illinois or Nebraska since those are both ranked in the 50's.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a pretty sizeable scholarship to my state school so the COA was only about 10k this year so I chose my state school but the scholarship isnt auto-renewable :(. Kinda regret it now since they redid alot of the curriculum and its pretty bad right now. Plus non-ranked P/F would've been great. In the end, if it wasn't for the scholarship, I would've definitely picked Einstein.

At least in the end you're going to a research-focused med school with friends, family nearby, and with a definitely lower overall COA. Good luck!