Albany vs. Rosalind Franklin *Must decide in 3 days, June 12*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beaches1902

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have to make a really tough decision in only three days. I've been planning on going to RFU for many months at this point but was recently and unexpectedly accepted to Albany.

To me, I think the main difference between the two schools is that: AMC has a very large medical center attached to the school itself, as in it has a hospital affiliation. Rosalind Franklin has affiliate hospitals, and no home institution nor home residency programs.

Am I correctly placing enough importance on the fact that AMC has a direct hospital affiliation with residencies? Looking at both of the school’s match lists show that both have good residency placements, but how important is this?

I would rather not stay in Albany after graduating, and would like to move back to the west coast. It seems like a lot of Rosalind students match either in California or in Chicago, which I am fine with. North Chicago overall isn't great, but nor is Albany. During years 3 and 4 at Rosalind, students often move near the city which is pretty cool, but they have to commute all over the place (I'm not totally sure how far the commute actually will be).

If any current Albany or RFU students could chime in, that would be great, and anyone else with some advice about the whole hospital situation as well.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
North Chicago is considered one of the nicer parts of Chicago fyi
with all due respect you may be thinking about the "Near North Side" Chicago, which is still downtown. Rosalind Franklin is in an entirely different city called North Chicago, about 45 min north of the city.

Reactions: 1 users
with all due respect you may be thinking about the "Near North Side" Chicago, which is still downtown. Rosalind Franklin is in an entirely different city called North Chicago, about 45 min north of the city.
Oh wow I actually didn't know this haha. Illinois resident here too! Embarrassing; sorry about that.

I don't think Albany is ranked?
You know what , I stand corrected. I do know I wasn't impressed by rfu rotations . Albany has 8.5 mill in big grants vs rfus 5.4. although it is more it is still peanuts compared to other schools.

The more productive students at RFU/Albany probably do research at other institutions, at least at RFU you are closer to major research centers

Edit: and closer to fun in Chicago, but yea the rotation situation sucks

RFU. You have the opportunity to network with other medical schools in Chicago and you can see yourself staying there after you graduate.

You know what , I stand corrected. I do know I wasn't impressed by rfu rotations . Albany has 8.5 mill in big grants vs rfus 5.4. although it is more it is still peanuts compared to other schools.
What was your problem with RFU's rotations? I know they rotate at excellent hospitals in the area, the only problem being the commute that I would have to do. I'm worried about having to drive an hour each way to get to a hospital when I could be using those extra hours for studying/sleep.

What was your problem with RFU's rotations? I know they rotate at excellent hospitals in the area, the only problem being the commute that I would have to do. I'm worried about having to drive an hour each way to get to a hospital when I could be using those extra hours for studying/sleep.
Usually when you rotate in community hospitals the preceptors are of varying quality. They had no access to home programs so it would be difficult to build relationships during the first two years. You also rotated through different hospitals that were all over, no major affiliation. They were boasting about the VA clinic accross the street for mandatory rotation.

I feel like RFU is better known than Albany. Could be wrong on that, though.

Either way, Chi-town >>>> Albany

Incoming Albany student here. For me, having an on site hospital/rotation sites is a huge factor of what drew me to Albany compared to the other schools I was accepted at. Not only as you pointed out about the travel time, but also the fact that I personally work best with the support of my classmates. If we are spread out among area hospitals, I felt I may not have the same support in years 3 and 4, and might be more isolated. Also I didn't apply to RFU but I felt Albany had the tightest knit group of student than any other school I interviewed at.

The home residencies and hospital affiliations might be a boon for you at Albany. Btw RFU does have an internal med and psych residency program