Airway Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BallCheese69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think "heat of the moment successful intubations" is a fear for all applicants without much experience. The ER residents at my institution do an anesthesia elective where they get to practice their intubation skills on real patients but in controlled settings. I'm looking into if medicine residents are allowed to use elective time for this, it definitely would boost my confidence

I think "heat of the moment successful intubations" is a fear for all applicants without much experience. The ER residents at my institution do an anesthesia elective where they get to practice their intubation skills on real patients but in controlled settings. I'm looking into if medicine residents are allowed to use elective time for this, it definitely would boost my confidence

Yes they can at most places. I did at mine and it was awesome. But you will have to do lots of preops as "pay" and that sucks balls.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
sadly ICU intubation are frequently no where near as nice as anesthisa intubations, you don't always get the luxury of having time to plan and be ready, so the ideal setup would be to have a rotation that lets you do as many easy airways as possible especially on people you've eyeballed previously to see if you're able to predict a difficult airway or not. Then plenty of supervised icu intubations. And wet labs to learn cric skills

The thing that the difficult airway course and others emphasise is having back up plans and modes and teaching it's not wrong to cric someone for a failed airway.

Last edited:
I think if I ever get to the point where I'm not a little nervous it's time to stop doing airways.

Reactions: 1 users