Age 40+ and Matched in Ortho or Gen Surg and/or Personally know of Someone that has?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMPROVEDAILY

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im hoping someone can share their experience in matching in orthopedics or general surgery as an older applicant. Or personally know someone who has.

I know its not unheard of older med students matching in orthopedic or gen surgery, but Id like to hear some perspective.

Do you need to be twice as excellent as younger applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Im hoping someone can share their experience in matching in orthopedics or general surgery as an older applicant. Or personally know someone who has.

I know its not unheard of older med students matching in orthopedic or gen surgery, but Id like to hear some perspective.

Do you need to be twice as excellent as younger applicants?

I know two, both were engineers in their previous lives. Both were really smart. Not sure what their numbers were but I'm sure they were academically strong. But they both were pretty unhappy because of the stress it put on their family. Both of them had multiple children and a spouse that was stay at home parent to take care of the children. So it's possible but may not be ideal, depending on your family situation.

Keep in mind that as an intern/resident in the future, you will have to answer to your younger senior residents and attendings. This goes for all specialities, but we are significantly more uptight and less sensitive in the surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have. A former engineer. He struggled during residency. I believe he was later kicked out of the program.

I'm pretty close.. turning 40. Hasnt been a big deal at all.... the occasional grandpa comments and the lectures that start of with a history of orthopedics and somehow my name gets slipped into the early 1900 time frame --"back when joe was born...."

And yes I'm twice as excellent... lol -- no, just a different perspective on life and residency than my co-residents. Its been a great experience and I feel my age has never been a deterrent.

Reactions: 3 users