AFIP equivalent places

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coroner

Peace Sells...but who's buying?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who remember, when the AFIP used to be in existence, one of the public services it offered to practicing pathologists was to do visiting rotations in various subspecialty services with the AFIP's world renowned experts. I heard that it was a great opportunity to see a vast number of interesting cases and equivalent to doing a mini-fellowship of sorts.

Unfortunately, there's no AFIP anymore which is a shame. Blame, gov't cutbacks under the Obama administration, but that's another thread...Anyway, that being the case, I was wondering about other places that may offer similar opportunities. Does anyone know of any institutions that let pathologists brush up on various organ systems and double scope for free with experts in their respective field(s) like the AFIP used to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know of any. It is sad about AFIP. I was there back in the 80's and
it was a great professional opportunity, sadly now unavailable for others.

Does the JPC do that? You know, the remnants of the old AFIP? Haven't really bothered to research them too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the JPC do that? You know, the remnants of the old AFIP? Haven't really bothered to research them too much.

It would be very difficult for civilians to get through the door. The JPC has a different mission, which is essentially be a consultative service for the DoD. Residents from WRNMMC can rotate there and that is about it.

JPC also provides consultative services for the NIH.