This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentluv1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I just took the DAT for the 2nd time and totally bombed it and now I feel so defeated and hopeless ☹️
I took it last year and got
Gen Chem-19
Biology-18
Organic-18
Reading-18
Perceptual ability-14
QR-12
TS-18
AA-17

Today:
Gen Chem-15 ):
Organic-17
Biology -16
Reading-16
Perceptual ability-18
QR-16
TS-16
AA-16

I have already submitted my application and now I'm stuck.
I feel so dissapointed in my self and completely defeated.
Please give me advice on what to do.. or if anyone has been in the same situation. Please

Members don't see this ad.

I know this might look very bad for you, but I know someone has a table somewhere. Certain schools accept the BEST scores from all your DAT's. That being said your only stat below 17 would be QR. If you have some sort of reason that you scored lower than your first attempt I'd personally wait until I got an interview and if I didn't around mid October I'd send an explanatory email to schools that take best scores just so I know I did all I could. If you want, you could always try the DAT again though. If your other stats can compensate the DAT I would say, even though it's a small probability, it is possible. Would you mind me asking what you used to study both times and how long you studied?

I know this might look very bad for you, but I know someone has a table somewhere. Certain schools accept the BEST scores from all your DAT's. That being said your only stat below 17 would be QR. If you have some sort of reason that you scored lower than your first attempt I'd personally wait until I got an interview and if I didn't around mid October I'd send an explanatory email to schools that take best scores just so I know I did all I could. If you want, you could always try the DAT again though. If your other stats can compensate the DAT I would say, even though it's a small probability, it is possible. Would you mind me asking what you used to study both times and how long you studied?
I just used boot camp and that's pretty much it . And I studied for about 2 months off and on. My work schedule kept changing so I couldn't really get on a good schedule.
Have you taken the DAT yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should first step back and realize that dental school is still an option. This cycle? Maybe not but who knows. Since your apps are out you may as well wait for interviews to come in. Maybe you'll hear back from some schools.

If it doesn't work out this cycle, fine. Your dental school aspirations aren't over. That said, nothing comes easy. You should learn from your mistakes in order to beat the DAT if you aren't accepted this cycle. Go through your study materials and habits and do some research on what's worked for people who have done well. If you need to take a Kaplan course, then go for it. Learn how to strategize your DAT.

I know it's rough now, but hard work is the only way to pull through these kinds of times. Take a week off, and then get to work on anything... whether it's school, physical exercise, or a job. Talk to those around you who support you and care about you. Feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 2 users
I just used boot camp and that's pretty much it . And I studied for about 2 months off and on. My work schedule kept changing so I couldn't really get on a good schedule.
Have you taken the DAT yet?
My first time taking my dat... I studied for 2 days before my test out of procrastination, ended up rescheduling 2 weeks later, somehow managed a 19 AA TS but didn't get in anywhere, retook it 4-5 months later, planned on studying for a month but got swine flu(idk how to explain my luck here) so that cut me to a little under 3 weeks, somehow managed 21 AA TS, although I know I study for short windows of time and perform better that way. My 2nd time around though, I used boot camp, destroyer, chads videos which were a godsend for me, ferralis notes, khan academy and cliffs AP bio notes. And I was VERY thorough. If I didn't understand something I would repeat chads videos or go to YouTube and watch a more advanced example. I read through cliffs and ferralis at least 3 times each and took full notes hand written the first time through. You just need to find a balance between losing your mind from stress and maintaining focus and sanity. Also if you have test anxiety, I'm not sure of how to work on that, but work on that

Edit: feel free to pm if you have any other questions

Reactions: 1 users
Since you already applied, I'd just sit back and hope for the best. Set aside a good chunk of time that you can devote to just studying for the DAT. Go browse the DAT forums and see what materials everyone is using and go from there. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Chances are not looking good this cycle but since the application has already been sent out it really doesn't matter. I would start preparing for a retake so that you will be in a stronger position next cycle, but you'll really need to change your approach to studying for the exam. I'd start with content review from the very beginning for the core science subjects and math before doing practice tests this time, for starters.

Chances are not looking good this cycle but since the application has already been sent out it really doesn't matter. I would start preparing for a retake so that you will be in a stronger position next cycle, but you'll really need to change your approach to studying for the exam. I'd start with content review from the very beginning for the core science subjects and math before doing practice tests this time, for starters.
I'll be graduating this December...
And I have a part time job, should I enroll in more classes? I really don't want to/can't afford to do a masters program.
What should I do about that? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be graduating this December...
And I have a part time job, should I enroll in more classes? I really don't want to/can't afford to do a masters program.
What should I do about that? Any advice?

You don't need to enroll in classes to do content review (if your GPA is fine there's no reason to take more classes). I would try to start by using review materials designed to cover the material at the appropriate level of depth - e.g. Cliff's AP book for biology to learn the fundamentals.

You don't need to enroll in classes to do content review (if your GPA is fine there's no reason to take more classes). I would try to start by using review materials designed to cover the material at the appropriate level of depth - e.g. Cliff's AP book for biology to learn the fundamentals.
Yeah, I think my biggest problem was not focusing on my weaknesses at all. I ignored plants all together and genetics because I would get overwhelmed and on the DAT had so many questions on those two areas. STUPID approach, I know. But I guess I know better now.
Thanks for the advice.

If I knew, I wouldn't be here lol?
Well you just told us that you "ignored plants all together and genetics." You already know what you are doing wrong. Same goes for Chem and OChem. Don't skip material ma man. Same goes for RC and QR. Ya gotta read them articles and learn those formulas ma man.

Since you already applied, as others have said, just wait until you hear back from schools. I would highly suggest DAT Destroyer. I scored well in my sciences because of the book. Additionally, use DAT BC and youtube videos. Exposure is key. Repetition is key. I know you can do it! Don't give up!

Reactions: 2 users
If I knew, I wouldn't be here lol?
Have you thought about a prep course? I know a lot of people are against Kaplan, but they teach you some good strategy. Maybe that's what's holding you back? I'm sure you know the material, but maybe something gets jumbled around when you try to pull that out of your brain?

Have you thought about a prep course? I know a lot of people are against Kaplan, but they teach you some good strategy. Maybe that's what's holding you back? I'm sure you know the material, but maybe something gets jumbled around when you try to pull that out of your brain?
I'm honestly too poor lol and don't have time for them. I think the biggest thing is self doubt. I knew that I sipped some areas so I panicked and just didn't practice enough. I'm gonna study until December and see how I feel and work on my timing. English is my 4th language so it can be difficult at times

I'm honestly too poor lol and don't have time for them. I think the biggest thing is self doubt. I knew that I sipped some areas so I panicked and just didn't practice enough. I'm gonna study until December and see how I feel and work on my timing. English is my 4th language so it can be difficult at times
Skipped *

Guys, one more question for you all.
How bad will it look if I take the DAT for the 3rd time?
Will that decrease my chances of getting accepted? Has anyone gotten accepted after the 3rd time of taking the DAT?

Thank you all again.

Guys, one more question for you all.
How bad will it look if I take the DAT for the 3rd time?
Will that decrease my chances of getting accepted? Has anyone gotten accepted after the 3rd time of taking the DAT?

If you take it for a 3rd time and make significant improvement to your scores, it's going to look far better than not retaking it and sticking with your current scores. The performance on the DAT matters far more than your number of attempts.

If you take it for a 3rd time and make significant improvement to your scores, it's going to look far better than not retaking it and sticking with your current scores. The performance on the DAT matters far more than your number of attempts.
Thank you! I am going to keep studying and try again in January or so, when I'm 100% ready.