Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Friedrich Sertürner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellows,
I am going to study Pharmacy next September , and I am so excited about it because I have very big ambitions and dreams I want to be a researcher in the feiled so here are some questions I want them to be answered.
1. Can I be a researcher in two different areas like biochemistry and medicinal chemistry / molecular biology and pharmacology / cancer biology and Immuonology ?
2.Can I win the nobel prize in medicine through my reserachs ?
3.How should I study ?
4.Are there any links for studying tips ?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You are picking the wrong field if you want to do that stuff. The field you are picking eventually leads to counting pills on a tray or verifying orders in a queue. To do what you mentioned, you need to major in pharmacology or biomedical sciences, or chemistry, or something, I really don't know, but what I do know is pharmacy is definitely the wrong major. You will waste 4 or 6 years of your life to realize you made a mistake.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellows,
I am going to study Pharmacy next September , and I am so excited about it because I have very big ambitions and dreams I want to be a researcher in the feiled so here are some questions I want them to be answered.
1. Can I be a researcher in two different areas like biochemistry and medicinal chemistry / molecular biology and pharmacology / cancer biology and Immuonology ?
2.Can I win the nobel prize in medicine through my reserachs ?
3.How should I study ?
4.Are there any links for studying tips ?
Thank you

you want a PhD not a pharmD...

You are picking the wrong field if you want to do that stuff. The field you are picking eventually leads to counting pills on a tray or verifying orders in a queue. To do what you mentioned, you need to major in pharmacology or biomedical sciences, or chemistry, or something, I really don't know, but what I do know is pharmacy is definitely the wrong major. You will waste 4 or 6 years of your life to realize you made a mistake.
What do u rely on??
U say pharmacists only count pills,
I know this is the most of them do but I have medicinal chemistry and pharmacology in my schedule!!
So can't I work in those fields and develop my self!!?
Can u be more specific, how can I only count pills!?
What about getting PhD in pharmacology or medicinal chemistry!!?

Pretty sure this person is a troll, if not, it's a true testament to the caliber of people getting admitted to pharmacy

Reactions: 6 users
What do u rely on??
U say pharmacists only count pills,
I know this is the most of them do but I have medicinal chemistry and pharmacology in my schedule!!
So can't I work in those fields and develop my self!!?
Can u be more specific, how can I only count pills!?
What about getting PhD in pharmacology or medicinal chemistry!!?
I know some pharmacists who work in the areas that you described; however, they have PhD degrees in pharmacology in addition to their PharmD. If you don't have plans to work as a pharmacist, it would probably be better to go straight for the PhD.

I'm guessing a troll from the name alone. That said, if only I could study just "pharmacology" or "pharmaceutics." My old field is such that there are subdivisions between radiopharmaceuticals, health physics, radiopharmaceutical kinetics and those are still extremely broad and nondescriptive if you even want to talk about the faculty in that subfield. It's been decades since the PharmD alone has been sufficient to do that sort of research.

There have been a few pharmacists (my memory is four) who have received the Nobel for Physiology and Medicine (3) and for Chemistry (1), but none of them were pharmacists alone and only one of them had a practice career before their research one.

The PharmD is no longer a preparation for graduate work unless you go out of your way to take Physical Chemistry for Majors (and Analytic if that was not required for PharmD admission), Partial Differential Equations, and Signal Transduction or something advanced in the cellular level. In fact, almost everyone that I recommend to the PhD route more or less either takes it during their undergrad or PharmD training or it is an immediate remediation class when they admit.

Reactions: 1 users