Advice regardresidency location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJArms22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying DR and I'd like to go home for residency. Problem with that though is the only program at home is not very good at all. It's only about 10 years old and currently most of the residents are FMGs. There's also only 3 per class. The location probably has a lot to do with the unpopularity as well but I'm just not sure about the quality of training. Every other major city is at least 6 hours away.

I have the stats to go to a good program. Good third year grades and a high step score. Part of me feels like a coward for wanting to go back home and putting this above the quality of training. I am very close to my family and not the type of person who loves being in their own.

I'm very conflicted and torn. My ego also gets in the way. I sometimes think about what people will think if I go to this program. That perhaps I couldn't get in anywhere better. Maybe I'm just being a whiner and overthinking it, idk.

Just to be clear: I 100% plan on practicing in this same city. There is a shortage of doctors where I am from and I don't think I'll have trouble finding a job. Most people find it pretty undesirable.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the best program that you can. If you don't, people are going to think you went to that program because you had no other choice.

Applying DR and I'd like to go home for residency. Problem with that though is the only program at home is not very good at all. It's only about 10 years old and currently most of the residents are FMGs. There's also only 3 per class. The location probably has a lot to do with the unpopularity as well but I'm just not sure about the quality of training. Every other major city is at least 6 hours away.

I have the stats to go to a good program. Good third year grades and a high step score. Part of me feels like a coward for wanting to go back home and putting this above the quality of training. I am very close to my family and not the type of person who loves being in their own.

I'm very conflicted and torn. My ego also gets in the way. I sometimes think about what people will think if I go to this program. That perhaps I couldn't get in anywhere better. Maybe I'm just being a whiner and overthinking it, idk.

Just to be clear: I 100% plan on practicing in this same city. There is a shortage of doctors where I am from and I don't think I'll have trouble finding a job. Most people find it pretty undesirable.

Go to the best program you can, then apply for fellowships in the area you want to work in. Fellowship is virtually required at this point for all radiology residents, and you can make the needed connections then. If you limit yourself at the residency level, then who knows where you'll end up for fellowship? On the flip side, fellowships are generally much easier and less competitive to get into than residencies (with possible exception of IR, but if the area you want to work is not a popular location, then even IR fellowship around that area may not be too difficult).

Combination of big name for residency and local connections for fellowship will take you far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the best program you can, then apply for fellowships in the area you want to work in. Fellowship is virtually required at this point for all radiology residents, and you can make the needed connections then. If you limit yourself at the residency level, then who knows where you'll end up for fellowship? On the flip side, fellowships are generally much easier and less competitive to get into than residencies (with possible exception of IR, but if the area you want to work is not a popular location, then even IR fellowship around that area may not be too difficult).

Combination of big name for residency and local connections for fellowship will take you far.
Does this really matter though if I plan on working in the same place? I know I will not have a hard time finding a job in this city. Every type of doctor is needed here. I understand the whole sentiment of going to the place best place possible, but isn't that for the purpose of having the ability to get good jobs in great locations? I don't see how that would help me if my end goal is to practice in the same city.

Does this really matter though if I plan on working in the same place? I know I will not have a hard time finding a job in this city. Every type of doctor is needed here. I understand the whole sentiment of going to the place best place possible, but isn't that for the purpose of having the ability to get good jobs in great locations? I don't see how that would help me if my end goal is to practice in the same city.

Maybe less important, but name and fellowship will follow you throughout the rest of your life. If you're 100% sure you'll stay in the same place forever, then maybe not, but who knows what life will bring? A good name will always leave doors open, while an unknown name will leave them closed. Plus, most people will say people don't care or know where you came from, but where you went to train will often come up in casual conversations with patients while you consent them for routine procedures like lumbar punctures or fluoro procedures. Why not give 'em a big name to chew on and stoke your ego in day-to-day life as a radiologist? It's only a few temporary years for something that stays permanently on your resume and people recognize. Doesn't hurt. Of course, some people don't care. But let's face it; all of us have some element of ego (including you, as you yourself stated).

That said, even if you truly don't care about that at all, I'd be wary of going to any residency that involves a small community hospital with mostly FMG/DO...not because there's anything inherently wrong with those factors, but because there are many BAD residencies out there that don't put a priority on resident teaching. I've run into several fellows who came from those kinds of programs over my time during residency, and I'll tell you that the lack of knowledge is readily apparent. And there is a correlation between programs that can only attract less competitive applicants and those with lesser educational value. You may not care about lack of prestige or reputation, but you should definitely care about the quality of training you will receive.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice above.

Don't go to a crappy residency even if it's in the ideal location. A middle tier residency in the ideal location is okay, provided that it aligns with your career goals, but not a crappy one.

This is weird to say, but it's only four years, and those four years near family aren't worth sacrificing your education, particularly when you'll be working a lot anyway.

Lastly, don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking your goals and desires can't evolve. No matter how connected you are to this place, your situation can change, and you don't want to feel trapped because of where you did residency.

Go to the best program, esp if you care about being with your family. A lower tier program will not allow you to leverage your residency name when applying for jobs.

Being away from home for 4 years may suck, but it sure beats the likely possibility of being far from home for a longer duration bc you can't find a job at your ideal location.