Advice On Neuro Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voltron77

4th year Medical Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on how to study for the Neuro shelf exam? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any advice on how to study for the Neuro shelf exam? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!:luck:

Covers a lot of territory, and you are definitely at a disadvantage taking it early IMHO. It seemed to me the test was much more the basic neurology you would see mostly in other specialties and not so much hard-core neurology. Did that make sense? Probably not. Pretty much know your commony disease that will present neurologically or with definite neurologic symptoms as a component that you would likely see in the ER, especially infections. Know stroke cold and be able to locate the lesion - generally. Know the usual suspects ALS, guillain barre, tabes doralis, syringomyalia, etc - this stuff is easy to ask questions about. Peripheral neuropathy showed up in a primary care type of questioning than I would have expected, and obviously the cuases for this DM2, alcoholism, b12 defic, etc. They love to ask you seizures types and drugs. Man that's about all I can remember. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Covers a lot of territory, and you are definitely at a disadvantage taking it early IMHO. It seemed to me the test was much more the basic neurology you would see mostly in other specialties and not so much hard-core neurology. Did that make sense? Probably not. Pretty much know your commony disease that will present neurologically or with definite neurologic symptoms as a component that you would likely see in the ER, especially infections. Know stroke cold and be able to locate the lesion - generally. Know the usual suspects ALS, guillain barre, tabes doralis, syringomyalia, etc - this stuff is easy to ask questions about. Peripheral neuropathy showed up in a primary care type of questioning than I would have expected, and obviously the cuases for this DM2, alcoholism, b12 defic, etc. They love to ask you seizures types and drugs. Man that's about all I can remember. Hope it helps. Good luck.

I took it a few days back and I can say that you are right on the money. It was my first shelf and it sucked. I have been told that if you can get in your Medicine shelf early on, all other shelf are so much easier but I didn't have the luxary.

Know whatever jdh71 said cold....they tend to ask al ot of questions about no so many things.
:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
what books do you guys recommend to study for the neuro shelf?

I thought this was one of the only subjects where Blueprints was a good choice. Pretest was also quite good for this one.

I used Blueprints, Pre-Test and then looked over Boards and Wards (Neuro section) as a quick review the morning of the shelf exam. Overall, I think Blueprints was pretty good for Neuro, which I just took this past Thursday. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!:idea::luck::hardy::D

I used Blueprints, Pre-Test and then looked over Boards and Wards (Neuro section) as a quick review the morning of the shelf exam. Overall, I think Blueprints was pretty good for Neuro, which I just took this past Thursday. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!:idea::luck::hardy::D

We had only 12 days of Neurology, then the shelf :( I did Pretest Neuro as many times as possible, and filled in w/ Kaplan Step2 Neuro notes.