Advice on Low Science GPA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boov

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am just wondering if lower division science classes such as chemistry for non majors, biology for non majors, or any of the same would factor into BCPM GPA calculations? I currently have a low sGPA (2.7) with a positive upward trend, and I have two semesters left before i finish my undergrad years and would like some advice on this issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you saying that you would like to take these non-majors classes in order to boost your sGPA? Don't do this. They will "count," but it will be obvious that you took lighter classes to pad your GPA.

You don't just need to boost your numbers; you need to show adcoms that you've learned how to handle difficult coursework. My advice is to take upper level science courses over the next two semesters. Take as many as you can while still getting As. After this, you'll probably need some postbacc work to continue the upward trend and further repair your GPA.

I would take the easiest science classes you can without looking like you are taking the easiest science classes you can.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying that you would like to take these non-majors classes in order to boost your sGPA? Don't do this. They will "count," but it will be obvious that you took lighter classes to pad your GPA.

You don't just need to boost your numbers; you need to show adcoms that you've learned how to handle difficult coursework. My advice is to take upper level science courses over the next two semesters. Take as many as you can while still getting As. After this, you'll probably need some postbacc work to continue the upward trend and further repair your GPA.

I am planning on applying to postbacc and SMP programs, but just wondering if taking something like Astronomy will be obvious as to me trying to bring up my science GPA to adcoms?

I am planning on applying to postbacc and SMP programs, but just wondering if taking something like Astronomy will be obvious as to me trying to bring up my science GPA to adcoms?

Astronomy is a good science class to take, I doubt Adcoms will see it as fluff. Just don't make it obvious that you're taking the easy route. However, definitely do whatever you can to make your numbers as high as possible. This is a numbers game, especially in the beginning.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think there's an issue taking something like astronomy but you need to also take upper-level sciences.

I don't think there's an issue taking something like astronomy but you need to also take upper-level sciences.

Do you have any recommendations as to what to take? I will be taking upper div bio classes already, so i wanted to take something not as strenuous.

Do you have any recommendations as to what to take? I will be taking upper div bio classes already, so i wanted to take something not as strenuous.
Honestly, in your situation, I would go on rate my prof and see which upper levels will give you the best chance at an A. Just look at anything over a 300/3000 level course that you can take. I took classes such as astrobiology, bacterial pathogenesis, toxicology, etc.

I would take the easiest science classes you can without looking like you are taking the easiest science classes you can.

Complex science 101

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see it as fluff. Ecology and Botany are fluff.

But you will be helping yourself if you can take some classes that mimic med school, like:

Anatomy
Physiology, Histology, Pharmacology
Biostats
Medical/Molecular Genetics or Molecular Biology
Cell Bio
Biochem
Immunology
Microbiology
Pathology
Neuroscience

Ace everything from now on.

Reactions: 1 user

But you will be helping yourself if you can take some classes that mimic med school, like:

Anatomy
Biostats
Cell Bio
Biochem
Immunology
Microbiology
Pathology
Neuroscience

Fyi, pharmacology is now considered HEAL by AAMC, therefore not part of sGPA. As you know, it is science for DO still.

Anatomy
Biostats
Cell Bio
Biochem
Immunology
Microbiology
Pathology
Neuroscience

The list is beautiful thank you very much!

Into ecology was my most difficult science course. Professor's exams were at the level of an upper division course. They were showed to graduate students. Prof got in trouble, but still continued to be hard.

Ecology wasn't really fluff, but astronomy was really easy. I took intro science classes, but I made sure to sprinkle them into semesters with several upper level sciences. "Intro to science for non-majors" shouldn't really raise an eyebrow if it's taken concurrently with classes like biochem, micro, neuro, biostats, physio, anatomy, etc. Get above a 3.0 and it will open many doors in terms of SMPs and med schools.

I've never heard of pharmacology for undergrads, except maybe in health professions like nursing. Med school pharmacology, you definitely have to know all the systems of the body (anatomy, physiology) to know drug mechanisms, and a good understanding of microbiology to know antimicrobials. Maybe they don't go as in depth with pharmacology in other health profession schools (like only knowing what drugs treat what conditions, without understanding why), and that's why its not BCPM.

Many thanks for clueing me into that..That's so bizarre! My Pharm colleagues with have a ****fit at this perceieved slight.

FYI, here's what AMCAS counts as "Biology::
Anatomy
Biology
Biophysics
Biotechnology
Botany
Cell Biology
Ecology
Entomology
Genetics
Histology
Immunology