Advice on Health Informatics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkuczek2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

What do you all think of health informatics as a growing field? I am interested in obtaining a Masters in Health Informatics after I graduate with my undergraduate degree this December. What worries me a tad is that I do not have an RN, MD, or any professional clinical patient experience. What I do have is three years of experience at Athletico Physical Therapy as a rehabilitation aide and office coordinator. Throughout my years at Athletico, I have constantly been exposed to EHR medical records, health insurance, etc.

My undergraduate degree will be in Finance. I chose this concentration in business, due to its analytical skill. This major is supplemented with a minor in Kinesiology as I was first on a Pre-PT track before switching into the College of Business at UIC.

Lastly, I am only 23 years old, so there is plenty of years for me to grow. What I am looking for in this post is advice on how to gain more experience and exposure into the field of health informatics to know truly that it's something I want to pursue. Any certain jobs, certifications or classes are there that you recommend me taking to make my choice easier?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you involved with your local chapter of HIMSS or AHIMA?