Advice Needed! Turn around from poor performance. Should I apply or pursue a post-bacc/master's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CFKazu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please read this post for my background first:
In a really bad situation, still have a shot at dental school?

I've done really really well at my 4-year school since then (decided to stay one more quarter) and just received my Bachelor's. My GPA over last 3 quarters (2016-2017) is 3.95 taking 57 quarter units (38.02 semester units). I've done especially well last quarter, took 8 courses (27 quarter units) and received 3 A+s and 5 As. During the same quarter, I received 3 very strong letter of recs (2 science, 1 non-science) that can explain my new strong work ethic and academic turn around as well as my character.

Since I retook 1 D and 2 Fs (and my school accepts up to 4 courses replacement), I just graduated with a 3.8 UC GPA and received cum laude as well.

Because of the poor performing 2015-2016 school year (1.9 GPA, 3 Ws, 1 D, 2 Fs over just 28 quarter units) and subpar performance at 2-year college, my overall GPA is 3.43, science GPA is 3.27, and BCP GPA is 3.16.

After the spring finals, I am currently studying for DAT right now and planning on taking it late July/early August.

Questions:
1. In my background thread, some people advised me to do a post-bacc or master's due to my low GPA, but should I still do a post-bacc/master's after I improved my GPA?
2. How would the admission view my grade trend? I have one year of subpar performance at community college, then one year of disaster performance at university, then one year of excellent performance at university.
3. Because I didn't do much ECs other than research (~300 hrs) 2015-2016, and didn't do much ECs because of the heavy courseload 2016-2017, I am lacking in dental shadowing/volunteering. In the upcoming gap year, I will help my father to start up his own dental office (will work as manager+reception+dental assistant), while shadowing his friends at multiple different dental offices, and volunteering at Red Cross. Would that be enough or should I look for other opportunities?
4. While doing all of the above, I also want to take a few classes (anatomy and physiology, microbiology, Japanese) over 2017-2018 (2 classes a semester) at my local community college to raise my GPA as well as meeting prereqs for certain dental schools. Should I pursue that or would that be looked down upon since I just graduated from a 4-year university?
5. If I do well on the DAT (21+), should I try to apply this year or apply next year?

Thank you very much for reading through this long post! SDN really helped me get out of the mess I was in last year. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do not have any shadowing hours atm, do not apply this cycle. Your GPA is low but not too bad, post-bacc would help as well as upward trends. I had slightly lower gpa then your and got 4 interviews with a AA20 TS22.

If you do not have any shadowing hours atm, do not apply this cycle. Your GPA is low but not too bad, post-bacc would help as well as upward trends. I had slightly lower gpa then your and got 4 interviews with a AA20 TS22.
I have about 25 hours currently. I can probably get to around 100 hours by the time I apply in August.

That's reassuring! I will try my hardest at DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the GPA goes, one other thing to consider is to look at schools that place the strongest emphasis on the last 60 credits. I've spoken with ADCOMs at Ohio State and Roseman and that's what they do.

It won't necessarily look bad to take those classes at a CC, but be prepared to explain why you didn't take them at your 4 yr if they ask.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile